The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

49 minutes ago, Mr November said:

A junior team in Scotland is definitely not where I expected him to end up!

He was a strange player, some fans loved him, others didn’t rate him. He had a very decent start and looked like a really composed, accomplished midfielder for this level in a couple of early games but there were also plenty of games which seemed to pass him by. The way we played didn’t really suit him, he liked to drop deep and collect the ball from the centre backs but Sean Crighton and Callum Fordyce are hardly ball playing defenders and we we spent more time launching long balls towards Callum Gallagher and Paul McKay. He dropped out the team and was barely seen after the restart, it seemed fairly clear that Ian Murray didn’t fully trust him and to be fair we looked a significantly better team with Kyle Turner and Paul Paton in midfield.

Overall he was decent enough, we’ve certainly had a lot worse players in recent years but equally he wasn’t anywhere near as good as some people made him out to be, at least not consistently enough. He’s more than good enough for whatever level the junior team are at. 

Thanks for the reply mate, tbf i think the boys looking at it as a stepping stone to get back up the leagues,  

1 hour ago, Wee wasp said:

Any of you guys able to tell me what Griffin Sabatini was like as he's playing as a trialist for a local junior club tomorrow where my mate is a coach

What team is it mate? I liked Griffin. Was good at collecting and recycling the ball and winning second balls in the middle of the park. There were games that definitely passed him by and times where he struggled to have any sort of influence, but on his day I thought he was a good midfielder for this level. Admittedly, that's a small sample size however as he barely played after the first couple of months of the season. He virtually disappeared after the re-start as Ian Murray clearly didn't fancy him. There were still games last season where I thought he could have played a part and he wasn't helped by us having an incredibly unbalanced midfield until Paton and Turner arrived, however their arrival pushed him down the pecking order even further. 

Definitely good enough to be playing in the Scottish non-leagues. TBH there's still a couple of teams in this league I reckon he'd improve. My only concern would be his fitness as he's barely kicked a ball in 2021. 

On 21/09/2021 at 22:59, Passionate said:

Slightly off topic,  have we started doing matchday hospitality yet, with most restrictions now lifted, it always seemed a good 'earner' for the club..

Falkirk, QP and Clyde ( probably others) in our League are offering pre match hospitality....

Starting back next month! Got an email about it today. 

3 hours ago, Wee wasp said:

Any of you guys able to tell me what Griffin Sabatini was like as he's playing as a trialist for a local junior club tomorrow where my mate is a coach

From rated at Dnipro to the Scottish junior ranks in 13 months... now THAT is a fall from grace 😬😬

No Dycey is unexpected, don't think he's missed a game since signing at the start of the 19/20 season. Presumably Watson will move into centre back and McGill will play right back which is fine but I'm looking forward to a game where we're not forced to play players out of position, especially considering how good Watson's been at right back recently.

3 hours ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

No Dycey is unexpected, don't think he's missed a game since signing at the start of the 19/20 season. Presumably Watson will move into centre back and McGill will play right back which is fine but I'm looking forward to a game where we're not forced to play players out of position, especially considering how good Watson's been at right back recently.

Aye 3 to many off today, McCabe will be a big miss, but  Fordyce and McGill was badly needed  today, oh for a quality striker, 

7 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Posted on the Cove thread but we were all saying that we'd settle for a point around the time of the late goal-so an unhappy and annoying  end to a pleasant trip up and nice weather. The performance was a bit flat in an attacking sense from us.   Will need to get back on track against Clyde.

Disappointing result in the end strange and very tight league this year one or two things need to click and McCabe defo missed that said we can more compete with anyone in this league. Agree we do need to get back on track next week. 

A word on the ref thought he was very poor ♦️

1 minute ago, Eric the half a b said:

Disappointing result in the end strange and very tight league this year one or two things need to click and McCabe defo missed that said we can more compete with anyone in this league. Agree we do need to get back on track next week. 

There was very little that was superior in Cove but home advantage probably drove them forward in the 2nd half. I mentioned the Ref as well in my other post.  The Macaroni pie ( sold out meat ones) , although adequate was a sign that Italian cooking should not be put in a Scotch Pie shell. 

25 minutes ago, Eric the half a b said:

What was the reason for McCabe and Fordyce not playing ,  unus ual  I think both players are related, I hope it is not a family issue....

The lack of attacking threat today by us today was highlighted by the Cove commentary team and they were not wrong. When we don't push up on the stronger sides like Cove it leaves guys like Gallagher as hold up players. Unfortunately this is not his strong point as we have seen numerous times. Aissa is better at this but again we lack a big target man to play this type of game. I lost count of the times the ball was played to our front men today, only to see it lost immediately and put us on the back foot. Today's result was almost entirely predictable, but like many others, I felt that Cove were there for the taking had we had more of a 'presence' up front.

9 hours ago, dextermorgan said:

The lack of attacking threat today by us today was highlighted by the Cove commentary team and they were not wrong. When we don't push up on the stronger sides like Cove it leaves guys like Gallagher as hold up players. Unfortunately this is not his strong point as we have seen numerous times. Aissa is better at this but again we lack a big target man to play this type of game. I lost count of the times the ball was played to our front men today, only to see it lost immediately and put us on the back foot. Today's result was almost entirely predictable, but like many others, I felt that Cove were there for the taking had we had more of a 'presence' up front.

Reading on Facebook one post, doesn't understand why Airdrie expect to beat good teams like Cove, really ask the loyal fans that travelled to Cove, I think at least they deserved to see at least  one shot on target, Its  a must to strengthen upfront,Gabby will help, sorry but I do not think Salim, Gallagher  Allan, Smith are good enough to get us goals  I8mih

2 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

Reading on Facebook one post, doesn't understand why Airdrie expect to beat good teams like Cove, really ask the loyal fans that travelled to Cove, I think at least they deserved to see at least  one shot on target, Its  a must to strengthen upfront,Gabby will help, sorry but I do not think Salim, Gallagher  Allan, Smith are good enough to get us goals  I8mih

18mih a typing error , 

1 hour ago, Jack Reed said:

Reading on Facebook one post, doesn't understand why Airdrie expect to beat good teams like Cove, really ask the loyal fans that travelled to Cove, I think at least they deserved to see at least  one shot on target, Its  a must to strengthen upfront,Gabby will help, sorry but I do not think Salim, Gallagher  Allan, Smith are good enough to get us goals  I8m

I understand your frustration, if you hypothetically swapped our strikeforce for megginson and mcallister, would we have won the game,  No.....  the problem is creating chances away from home, we are very organised and h a rd to break down, personally I think our best centre forward is Callum Smith, would like to see him and salon given a run, but we need more depth of squad for this to happen.

The bench again yesterday was very young and inexperienced, we are unable to change things up, when teams introduce there subs,  moving forward this could be a major problem and is that one of the reasons we loose a helluva lot of late goals,     it seems Murray lacks trust in them,  McDonald's sclaffed clearance lat my the at Dumbarton,   Walker giving away the one against queens, last week against East Fife even only on 5 minutes McDonald was hopelessly off the pace, and East Fife created 3 chances from his poor play ,  yesterday Allan was in too late to comnent....

As stated before our starting 11 is as good as anything in this league,  all the pieces are on the pitch at the one time,

1 hour ago, Passionate said:

I understand your frustration, if you hypothetically swapped our strikeforce for megginson and mcallister, would we have won the game,  No.....  the problem is creating chances away from home, we are very organised and h a rd to break down, personally I think our best centre forward is Callum Smith, would like to see him and salon given a run, but we need more depth of squad for this to happen.

The bench again yesterday was very young and inexperienced, we are unable to change things up, when teams introduce there subs,  moving forward this could be a major problem and is that one of the reasons we loose a helluva lot of late goals,     it seems Murray lacks trust in them,  McDonald's sclaffed clearance lat my the at Dumbarton,   Walker giving away the one against queens, last week against East Fife even only on 5 minutes McDonald was hopelessly off the pace, and East Fife created 3 chances from his poor play ,  yesterday Allan was in too late to comnent....

As stated before our starting 11 is as good as anything in this league,  all the pieces are on the pitch at the one time,

The worry for me is with Smith is he was never a goal scorer and that's what centre forwards do, Salim scored for queen's Park, but has not scored many  since  stepping up, 

1 hour ago, Passionate said:

As stated before our starting 11 is as good as anything in this league,  all the pieces are on the pitch at the one time

The worry for me is the goal scoring record  from Smith, Salim not scored many since stepping up, would go for Gabby  McGill  with another, don't suppose there is any chance of bringing a striker in on loan, 

Gallagher's scored double figures every season he's been here (I think), and in this league I don't think there's many more you could more or less guarantee will bag 10+. 

The problem I've always said with Gallagher is who you play upfront with him. He's a poacher first and foremost, and I'd probably bet more than half of the league would be delighted to have him in their team. Dale Carrick used to put in a hell of a shift and had a fair hand in a lot of Gallagher's goals, I think Callum Smith, "with his bulldog like approach" (said in Martin Tyler's voice) could be the man that might do the donkey work for Gal, but I like big Gabby also.

We need everyone back ASAP first and foremost. I'd have gladly taken a point at Cove before the game yesterday and obviously it's gutting to lose so late but there's been signs there that we SHOULD be able to compete at the right end.

6 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Gallagher's scored double figures every season he's been here (I think), and in this league I don't think there's many more you could more or less guarantee will bag 10+. 

The problem I've always said with Gallagher is who you play upfront with him. He's a poacher first and foremost, and I'd probably bet more than half of the league would be delighted to have him in their team. Dale Carrick used to put in a hell of a shift and had a fair hand in a lot of Gallagher's goals, I think Callum Smith, "with his bulldog like approach" (said in Martin Tyler's voice) could be the man that might do the donkey work for Gal, but I like big Gabby also.

We need everyone back ASAP first and foremost. I'd have gladly taken a point at Cove before the game yesterday and obviously it's gutting to lose so late but there's been signs there that we SHOULD be able to compete at the right end.

Be up against one of the better strikers next week, If we could get our full Team on the park we certainly will be looking for 3 point's  ,