The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

1 hour ago, fifer67 said:

One good thing there shouldn’t be any player's in that East Fife team for Airdrie to poach for next season.

Disappointed that Kyle Connell wasn't in the squad,  Injured....   Onto the game I thought Airdrie were very good today, sharp passing, kept possession, we really demoralized East Fife today,  if we played our usual 3 passes punt style of football the game would have suited our opponents..

Darren Young was the hot topic the last couple of years, he has maybe missed the boat, was he ever approached by bigger clubs...  To me East Fife as a playing squad seems very similar to the last3 seasons,  maybe needs freshened,  if Yound does fall on his sword,  Stevie Frail is a fantastic coach although untried as a manager.

Enjoyable afternoon yesterday. East Fife were certainly the weakest team we have played so far but you can only beat what is in front of you and, while we maybe could have killed the game a bit earlier than we did, we did a job on them in the end. Our squad is still pretty makeshift and getting back to full fitness so to get 10 points out of the last 12 is a great run of form all things considered. Lovely pass from Salim to Smith for Gal's first goal. Great to see Gal doing what he does best and 3 goals in 2 games will no doubt be a boost. He was always going to get going as soon as he got his first so I'm just glad it's happened sooner rather than later. Hopefully Salim will be the same when he finally breaks his duck. He looks like he's still getting up to full fitness (and the injury can't have helped) but you can see his quality at times. 

Fair play to young Scott McGill for stepping in at left-back and for that goal, which he definitely meant! I like him a lot as a player and we've probably not even seen the best of him yet considering he's been shunted around so much. Good to see Josh Kerr back but I hope he hasn't been rushed back again just to fill a gap in the squad. We need him back fully 100% fit and available for an extended period of time and not back for a game or two here and there before he has to rehab an injury again. I've liked Watson since the start of the season but he's undoubtedly our best right-back now which has thankfully solved a position that was beginning to become a bit of a problem. Good defensively and on the ball and constantly talking and organising which is exactly what you want to see. I think we might see a few more goals from crosses from the right-hand side into Gal, Sal and G McGill. 

I thought Agnew did a decent job in the deep-lying midfield role but we definitely missed McCabe. Does anyone know what's up with him? Huge game next week against what was the best midfield in the league last season so I dare say we need him back urgently. We'll be facing Megginson next week and Goodwillie the following week so ideally we need him back in midfield and a fully fit Josh Kerr in defence to deal with those threats. 

Oh and Dylan Easton - a joy to watch. 

Big game next week and no reason why we can't go up there with confidence expecting a result. I haven't made an away game yet this season so I am looking forward to it. If we hadn't dropped those daft points at Dumbarton we'd be top! A lot to be positive about right now. 

Should have said too that I hope Rico is okay. I don't blame him at all if he wasn't up for playing (if that's why he was missing) but good to see him at the game and I hope the club are giving him the support he needs. Here's hoping he'll be back next week keeping Leighton McIntosh in his back pocket alongside Stephen O'Donnell. 

What would happen if this song was started about a player today?  
The song was not intended to be offensive in the same way Asians or black guys were given nick names due to skin colour in the 70s and 80s.   This was seen as ok as the person didn't take it to be racist.  The world has moved on.   For anyone to say a song that only mentions he's black and gay is a joke.  To say or sing something offensive or even intended as a joke is just wrong.   The song has been sung for many years but it's how it's taken by people today not 25 years ago. 

Absolute and utter pish. There are no offensive words or connotations in the song. Fashanu was a black man who had outed himself as being gay. Both "black" and "gay" are the PC descriptions for each of those characteristics and the song was a celebration of the man who played for "Airdaray". Had there been any other words used that were either derogatory or offensive then you'd have a case but the truth is that it's as inoffensive today as it was then. You'll be telling us next that "he's fat he's round he's worth a million pounds, Stevie Gray" is offensive on the ground that some of the more obese in the world could be upset by it.

Nae doubt you're one of these folks with their heid in the clouds who think that someone with a cock and balls can claim to be a woman.

4 hours ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:

Absolute and utter pish. There are no offensive words or connotations in the song. Fashanu was a black man who had outed himself as being gay. Both "black" and "gay" are the PC descriptions for each of those characteristics and the song was a celebration of the man who played for "Airdaray". Had there been any other words used that were either derogatory or offensive then you'd have a case but the truth is that it's as inoffensive today as it was then. You'll be telling us next that "he's fat he's round he's worth a million pounds, Stevie Gray" is offensive on the ground that some of the more obese in the world could be upset by it.

Nae doubt you're one of these folks with their heid in the clouds who think that someone with a cock and balls can claim to be a woman.

Thank your for proving my point some are still living in the past. 

I believe in 2021 people can choose to be who or what ever they choose to be.   Still everyone has their right to believe what they like. 

Thank your for proving my point some are still living in the past. 
I believe in 2021 people can choose to be who or what ever they choose to be.   Still everyone has their right to believe what they like. 
All you have proven is that people like yourself who believe in fairy tales and the Emperor's new clothes are so desperate for a lunatic cause that you'll seek offence where there is none to be had.

I also believe that people can live however they want and choose to call themselves whatever the f**k they like but don't expect the more sane amongst us to believe the lie. And don't expect us to accept those lies when they impact on other people's rights.

Back to your faux offence now, maybe go scrutinise some of the lyrics in Scottish football club songbooks where there genuinely are things to be offended by.

Great result at the weekend, with 2 key positives

- Gallagher looks like he might be on a roll now having gotten off the mark

- Regardless of East Fife being down to 10 men, there was no second half collapse that has been a feature in recent weeks.

Really good stuff, I thought.

The visitors were not great, that's fair to say. The high defensive line East Fife played in the first half surprised me given the pace Airdrie have in attack, but I was especially surprised with their approach in the second half; entirely surrendering the wings and allowing Watson and McGill buckets of time and space. They ought to know how good Watson can be especially when afforded time and space. No surprise that the two goals came from the sides in that half. 

Could have been a few more. 

Two good wins after a creditable enough away draw having come back from disruptive impact of a Covid outbreak and a squad with obvious potential that had performed in fits and starts looks like it is starting to click into gear here. 

I don't think they've found their ceiling by any means and the hope is that Kerr is okay after coming off on Saturday, that Gabby McGill is back quickly and that McCabe and Quitongo are able to get back involved sharpish, too. Games versus Cove tended to be tight last season so I'd take a point out of this quite happily, but I see no reason Airdrie can't get another win. 

Really enjoyed watching them on Saturday. A very positive week. 

Edited by AndyDD

The justification of 'well he didn't mind it' reminds me of David Brent's response in The Office when reprimanded for telling the 'Black Man's Cock' joke. It wasn't an excuse at the time, and it's certainly not relevant now given he has sadly passed on, it's about what are acceptable topics to sing about at a football game, which these clearly aren't.

There’s more to it than that. That is not the only “defence” (if needed) of that song. You know that though. Really think people are stretching to be offended here.

And by the way, that’s not me condoning what happened to Quitongo, which was unacceptable (and different).

4 hours ago, WeAllDreamOfATeamOfAndyRyans said:

Is it too early to say that we are the best team in this league and they might aswell give us the trophy now?

I will wait till the first quarter is up so we can judge every side, but of course-Yes, as well avoiding which question I answered!

Edited by Chapelhall chap
spelling error

18 hours ago, Passionate said:

Slightly off topic,  have we started doing matchday hospitality yet, with most restrictions now lifted, it always seemed a good 'earner' for the club..

Falkirk, QP and Clyde ( probably others) in our League are offering pre match hospitality....

I haven't seen it publicised anywhere at all so I assume not. I don't know what the cost of running it is financially or convenience or staff wise but like you say it seems like a missed opportunity. I believe I'm 'owed' it twice now as a shirt sponsor so, having never done it before, I'm looking forward to the experience when it gets going again. 

On 21/09/2021 at 22:59, Passionate said:

Slightly off topic,  have we started doing matchday hospitality yet, with most restrictions now lifted, it always seemed a good 'earner' for the club..

Falkirk, QP and Clyde ( probably others) in our League are offering pre match hospitality....

On the subject of that, I've been getting emails from Queen's Park advertising their hospitality since I bought tickets for the League Cup game at Firhill and it really looks like they put in a decent effort to make it a good day out. At £50 per person it is a bit steep but I suppose so is £18 for a matchday ticket

1783ACCB-7651-4B32-A7A3-4870E6877F81.jpeg

14 minutes ago, Wee wasp said:

Any of you guys able to tell me what Griffin Sabatini was like as he's playing as a trialist for a local junior club tomorrow where my mate is a coach

A junior team in Scotland is definitely not where I expected him to end up!

He was a strange player, some fans loved him, others didn’t rate him. He had a very decent start and looked like a really composed, accomplished midfielder for this level in a couple of early games but there were also plenty of games which seemed to pass him by. The way we played didn’t really suit him, he liked to drop deep and collect the ball from the centre backs but Sean Crighton and Callum Fordyce are hardly ball playing defenders and we we spent more time launching long balls towards Callum Gallagher and Paul McKay. He dropped out the team and was barely seen after the restart, it seemed fairly clear that Ian Murray didn’t fully trust him and to be fair we looked a significantly better team with Kyle Turner and Paul Paton in midfield.

Overall he was decent enough, we’ve certainly had a lot worse players in recent years but equally he wasn’t anywhere near as good as some people made him out to be, at least not consistently enough. He’s more than good enough for whatever level the junior team are at.