The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

43 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

You find it entertaining when folk are disgusted about racial abuse?

I think we would have a very broken society if we operated on mob mentality which is what we have going on here.

As I've said before, a number of times now (which many of you are repeatedly choosing to ignore in your desperation to be the good guy): racial abuse isn't acceptable, and the club should be investigating it thoroughly, but jumping blindly on the bandwagon like some sort of highschooler trying to go along with their pals is really quite sad.

I suppose you could rightly argue that Rico is unlikely to be making things up, and to be honest, I do actually agree that it seems like something that is far more likely to be the reality than not, but I'm not interested in joining any pitchfork brigade without actual evidence (which is unlikely to become public, which is also why I am trusting the club to investigate it and take action accordingly).

I can't help if that's too nuanced for people to understand.

Rico is still a pish left back though and should have stayed at dumbarton, and some random QOS fan doing cartwheels for Rico would be very entertaining.

Edited by G_H

4 minutes ago, G_H said:

Good to see you finally admit that he isn't Gareth Bale 👍

Absolutely nobody on this thread has even mentioned his ability, apart from you (continually). Why is his ability important or even relevant when the discussion is about the racial abuse he received? 

4 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Absolutely nobody on this thread has even mentioned his ability, apart from you (continually). Why is his ability important or even relevant when the discussion is about the racial abuse he received? 

Are you really that dim that you expect me to copy paste the couple of posts leading to that topic?

6 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

What evidence you looking for here?

Why don't you just read and get to grips with the post you quoted rather than bore everyone by paddling round in circles.

2 minutes ago, G_H said:

Are you really that dim that you expect me to copy paste the couple of posts leading to that topic?

Why don't you just read and get to grips with the post you quoted rather than bore everyone by paddling round in circles.

Two simple questions that you can't answer, or more likely don't want to because you'd need to remove your mask.  

Just now, The Moonster said:

Two simple questions that you can't answer, or more likely don't want to because you'd need to remove your mask.  

You are asking idiotic questions that you can easily ascertain by reading

a) the post I replied to where your buddy was looking forward to a good performance our left back

b) literally the post you quoted where i stated that, for the xth time, I wasn't expecting any evidence to be made public therefore it was down to the club to sort out, which has been my position all along.

Exactly how fucking thick are you?

5 minutes ago, G_H said:

You are asking idiotic questions that you can easily ascertain by reading

a) the post I replied to where your buddy was looking forward to a good performance our left back

b) literally the post you quoted where i stated that, for the xth time, I wasn't expecting any evidence to be made public therefore it was down to the club to sort out, which has been my position all along.

Exactly how fucking thick are you?

A) Well, precisely, you've got fans of more clubs than your own hoping that Rico responds positively to what's happened, but you continually want to keep casting up that he's shite. It's bizarre that in a week one of your own players has been racially abused that your first instinct was "maybe it didn't happen" and that has turned into "he's shite anyway and should've stayed at Dumbarton". But aye, it's me who's thick. 

B) I know that, I'm asking YOU what evidence you would need to see for you to 100% believe Rico Quitongo is telling the truth, as you evidently don't think that right now. 

8 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

A) Well, precisely, you've got fans of more clubs than your own hoping that Rico responds positively to what's happened, but you continually want to keep casting up that he's shite. It's bizarre that in a week one of your own players has been racially abused that your first instinct was "maybe it didn't happen" and that has turned into "he's shite anyway and should've stayed at Dumbarton". But aye, it's me who's thick. 

That's not true at all - My first reaction was to state that racial abuse was unacceptable, however I did addendum that with the topic of venting frustration at poor performances, which is something we almost all do at games, because ultimately it's a related item. People get annoyed, they shout at players, but they need to realise that there's a line around what is appropriate to express.

However I will add that I've not been in favour of signing him or any of the other players we picked up from Dumbarton. Teams finishing 9th isn't where we should be building our squad from.

8 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

B) I know that, I'm asking YOU what evidence you would need to see for you to 100% believe Rico Quitongo is telling the truth, as you evidently don't think that right now. 

Fair  - So I think every game is recorded in some way these days, surely video evidence of the call out being captured audibly would be enough.

Edited by G_H

1 minute ago, G_H said:

That's not true at all - My first reaction was to state that racial abuse was unacceptable, however I did addendum that with the topic of venting frustration at poor performances, which is something we almost all do at games, because ultimately it's a related item.

Fair  - So I think every game is recorded in some way these days, surely video evidence of the call out being captured would be enough.

Your first reaction was "Meh, a lot of hand wringing without knowing what was said" which you then try and cover your arse by saying "obviously racism is unacceptable", then you bring up the fact Rico is shite - nobody else mentioned his ability at this point but you felt it was pertinent...

On 15/09/2021 at 12:25, G_H said:

Meh...

I'm seeing all this hand wringing without knowing what was actually said.

Obviously racial abuse is unacceptable and the club need to deal with that accordingly.

However if you are playing pish then you deserve to be called out on that, just not racially.

Glad I haven't been to any games yet in person this season, as it's been one shitshow after the other. However great to finally see 3 points from the game against Alloa.

As for your "I'll only accept hard video evidence" I think that's a bit of a cop out - you know fine well it's unlikely the main camera at any football ground picks up every single shout in a football ground. The fact that you think Rico is lying until that sort of evidence is produced says a hell of a lot. 

5 hours ago, Spanish Armada said:

I'm not saying that what I'm saying is everyone blames the B for everything bad that happens also folk that were at the game heard f**k all racist abuse 

Trying to play devil's advocate here. The B have made themselves easy targets in the past. Yes, all of the things you mentioned are important and should be praised. But they've done some pretty rotten things also over the piece and have revelled in their ability to anger other fans by going further than anyone else since I started following Airdrie. It's hard to have it both ways.

As for the no witnesses, it was clearly stated on the thread that a witness has indeed come forward. 

35 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Your first reaction was "Meh, a lot of hand wringing without knowing what was said" which you then try and cover your arse by saying "obviously racism is unacceptable", then you bring up the fact Rico is shite - nobody else mentioned his ability at this point but you felt it was pertinent...

I'm not really interested in your salty pedantry. Either accept my meaning or don't, no skin off my back.

36 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

As for your "I'll only accept hard video evidence" I think that's a bit of a cop out - you know fine well it's unlikely the main camera at any football ground picks up every single shout in a football ground. The fact that you think Rico is lying until that sort of evidence is produced says a hell of a lot. 

Either there's evidence or there isn't. Face value isn't good enough to get the pitchforks out. Feel free to suggest a happy medium, but I'm not seeing one.

3 hours ago, Ballboy said:

I have to say I do get where g_h is coming from.    There have been plenty posts from airdrie to quite rightly condem what's happened with Rico.   

We have fans who will post how shocked and horrified they are but will happy go and sing the fashanu song as its intended as admiring to our former striker.   He himself said the song was fine and didn't upset him at the 1st openly gay/bi to come out in football.    The world has moved on but many of our support are still stuck in the 1970s.  If this was sung about any player today their would be uproar. 

It embarrassing enough when we play big games particularly celtic and for one game all there airdrie die hards come out and our real fans end up with the bad name.  I'm not saying this is not an airdrie fan but with out names and addresses given for individual seat allocations it's pretty much impossible to track one individual down unless details are given directly.   I see the same faces at games but have no idea who they are as most say nobody heard this I don't see how this can be resolved.     It is another embarrassing episode for our club and fans that will undoubtedly be used to term all airdrie fans as racist.  

I saw someone else on Facebook make the comparison to the Fashanu song and I'm not entirely sure why. You've said yourself it's not racist, homophobic or offensive nor intended to be. It's also still sung to this day with, as far as I know, zero problems, bigotry or misinterpretation behind it and zero uproar caused. They seemed to be making some sort of nonsense "Oh you can't say or sing anything these days" comment but to me it's a false equivalent compared to the actual racist abuse Rico has received. 

2 hours ago, G_H said:

What has there been to commend so far this season except for this weeks single win vs Alloa that has been overshadowed by this nonsense?

Name something, Seriously, I'd like to hear the positives of season 2021/2022 to date.

6 hours ago, Spanish Armada said:

I'm not saying that what I'm saying is everyone blames the B for everything bad that happens also folk that were at the game heard f**k all racist abuse 

I've missed anyone blaming the B over the past few pages but if you say it happened then of course it happened.

If Rico said it happened then it happened. There's literally no reason to assume he's lying or misheard something. I'm hoping he gets a cracking reception from the crowd tomorrow. Such a reception would not be 'virtue signalling' and it would also have nothing to do with his ability or performance as a certain moron in this thread seems to believe. It would simply be the crowd getting behind our player to show him that we support him and want him to feel welcome at his place of work (that really shouldn't need to be explained). I'm obviously disappointed by the incident but I'm glad Rico went public with it. Racism is not an issue that can be quietly dealt with, it needs to be publicly shamed in order to actually attempt to remove it from society. Giving Rico our full support and kicking out the scumbag that abused him would show any bigots that they aren't welcome within our support and that can only be a good thing.

Obviously racial abuse is unacceptable and the club need to deal with that accordingly.
However...

As I've said before, a number of times now (which many of you are repeatedly choosing to ignore in your desperation to be the good guy): racial abuse isn't acceptable, and the club should be investigating it thoroughly, but...

Erm, you've said it a whole two times that racial abuse is unacceptable if you exclude the pathetic "we all accept racism is bad". Even then you've given it the "but" and "however" after it which renders your view of racism redundant. You've had more to say on his footballing ability than the actual incident. It's tragic to see.

To put it bluntly incase you genuinely don't know how your awful posts are coming across; it seems quite clear that you don't rate the boy and as a result you're not arsed that he's received racial abuse. Pathetic.

As for the no witnesses, it was clearly stated on the thread that a witness has indeed come forward. 

Im not going to go trawling back through but I’m not sure that’s correct? There was someone on Facebook that completely misinterpreted what someone else had written and wrongly presumed there was a witness. That then seems to have been repeated in a few places (including here from memory). But I’m not sure there’s a confirmed witness.
Anyway, the person should be banned but let’s stop with the suggestion the fashanu song was being offensive etc (not aimed at you).