The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

1 hour ago, G_H said:

Yes I agree, going down the route of identify politics to justify this circle jerk borne from an almost total lack of information is pretty poor, glad we see eye to eye.

Just in case I wasn't clear - "identity politics" == made up bullshit used as an ad-hom attack in a desperate attempt to undermine an opposing point of view rather than engaging in a debate in good faith.  See also, "woke", "SJW", "snowflake", "Marxist" etc

6 minutes ago, stuartcraig said:

Just in case I wasn't clear - "identity politics" == made up bullshit used as an ad-hom attack in a desperate attempt to undermine an opposing point of view rather than engaging in a debate in good faith.  See also, "woke", "SJW", "snowflake", "Marxist" etc

The only "made up bullshit" is the dribble you posted about being some sort of "allyship" and pretending that you have some sort of special advantage due to being white that you need to convey onto professional footballers who are barely league 1 material. Seems quite patronising.

Out of interest. While we all agree that racism is bad, and setting this Rico situation aside - do you consider say, Marcus Rashford, or or some other top level black footballer to be disadvantaged when they are on 6 figures a week.

Edited by G_H

1 hour ago, G_H said:

Yes I agree, going down the route of identify politics to justify this circle jerk borne from an almost total lack of information is pretty poor, glad we see eye to eye.

Rico Quitongo was racially abused by an individual in the away end at Firhill on Saturday.

I'm not quite sure what additional information is needed at this stage. Other than the identity of the individual responsible, which will (hopefully) come out in time.

Edited by Jan Vojáček

... The abysmal attempts to minimise this over the last cupla pages notwithstanding, it is at least heartening to see the condemnation of the abuse and abuser, as well as the rallying of support for Rico Quitongo from Airdrie supporters and of course many many others as well.

Was truly sickened reading his statement this morning. Appalling stuff and there's no excuse. We can all do better at calling this out as it happens, and/or reporting it to the appropriate officials. Felt deeply embarrassed writing about it earlier today

Looking forward to showing Rico our fulsome support Saturday coming. 

13 minutes ago, G_H said:

The only "made up bullshit" is the dribble you posted about being some sort of "allyship" and pretending that you have some sort of special advantage due to being white that you need to convey onto professional footballers who are barely league 1 material. Seems quite patronising.

Nope, it's me saying to another human being that, even though I'm white and therefore haven't experienced the same racial abuse that you have, I still have empathy for you and the feelings you are expressing and want you to know that I wish you well and categorically reject the words and ideology of the person who abused you.

Whether that makes a difference to the person with whom I'm sharing the sentiment, you'd have to ask them.  Hopefully it helps them to feel an iota less shit about the abuse they've received.

Call it dribble if you want.  I'm not doing it to please you.

1 hour ago, G_H said:

Out of interest. While we all agree that racism is bad, and setting this Rico situation aside - do you consider say, Marcus Rashford, or or some other top level black footballer to be disadvantaged when they are on 6 figures a week.

Probably not anymore to a certain extent, wait so is the point that because Rashford is rich now, any past racial abuse he received is of no importance?

1 hour ago, G_H said:

What point are you trying to make here?

Marcus Rashford cant be disadvantaged because he happens to be rich? What has his wage got to do with it, is it the one and only way to measure someone's worth or success in life? The guy has openly talked about the poverty he faced as a child, something black families are multiple times more likely to face. He was disadvantaged as a child and found a way to break through it. Doesnt mean he wasnt disadvantaged. As for his skin colour, just look at the type of abuse he received when he missed that penalty. Guys like Harry Kane dont get that kind of abuse, so there is an obvious advantage to being white when it comes to the type of abuse you receive. Are we to ignore that because he makes £X amount per week?

2 hours ago, G_H said:

Oh aye, they just ignore racism and it’s like water off a ducks back because they’re rich. Are you for fucking real?

7 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I'm glad this has been cleared up.

Hope you guys find the moron responsible and he gets the book chucked at him. Named and shamed, out a job, banned from games. The lot. Absolutely no time for this sort of behaviour at all - especially towards a top guy like Rico. 

Airdrie fans are a good bunch. They have a minority that give them a bad name, but any time I've been in the home end at New Broomfield as a neutral I've always found them to be some of the friendliest fans around. I've every confidence someone who heard it will get the guy named and outed.

Whatever happened and said, let's be blunt with the hassle it takes to book a seat to get into Firhill it is definitely an Airdrie fan,,     As you say Rico seems a top guy and well liked and respected by his teamates.  Hopefully with the help of PTFC the crowd control cctv will be carefully scrutinised and anything that flags up time wise will be investigated and relevant action taken....  That is all we can really say at this time, 

4 hours ago, G_H said:

Dude, you a crazy kinda muthafucka.

2 hours ago, Rugster said:

Oh aye, they just ignore racism and it’s like water off a ducks back because they’re rich. Are you for fucking real?

I'm not an expert but I believe the dynamic is captured by a concept called intersectionality.  There are different kinds of privilege / disadvantage.  In places like the US and UK, if I'm white, male, hetero, rich and have no disability then I have maximum privilege.  If I'm female, poor, gay, black and have a disability then I'm fucked.  All variants in between exist somewhere on the privileged / fucked continuum.

2 hours ago, stuartcraig said:

I'm not an expert but I believe the dynamic is captured by a concept called intersectionality.  There are different kinds of privilege / disadvantage.  In places like the US and UK, if I'm white, male, hetero, rich and have no disability then I have maximum privilege.  If I'm female, poor, gay, black and have a disability then I'm fucked.  All variants in between exist somewhere on the privileged / fucked continuum.

I do agree with what's been posted about this going by what you said what's your opinion on the fashanu song sung by more than a few voices usually at away games? 

8 hours ago, Ballboy said:

I do agree with what's been posted about this going by what you said what's your opinion on the fashanu song sung by more than a few voices usually at away games? 

It's probably his opinion that mattered the most.  From what I read he accepted it as it was intended, a sign of affection from the fans.

Edited by stuartcraig

It’s an absolute fact that an element of our support are well and truly capable of being racist, bigoted and a few other things. 

I’m not going to pretend to be shocked by the news this happened but it is absolutely sickening and shameful never the less. For people to accuse Rico of hearing wrong or making it up is bewildering to say the least (it’s more than just the ones on here if you check other social media). 

Thankfully the majority of our fans will do the decent thing and call this out for the disgrace it is. As they have done with other injustices too. 

I hope Rico is doing ok and I hope he will continue to want to play for the club as I have no idea what must be going through the poor lads head rite now. 

On the debate of “abusing” players as long as any criticism is based on a players performance I personally don’t have an issue with it. The argument that “I don’t get abuse at my job ” doesn’t work for me as I don’t have 800 fans paying to watch me work which contributes to my wages. That’s just how I see that part. As soon as anything said to a player is based on a personal trait or characteristic then it’s went beyond acceptable behaviour. Many will disagree but that’s just how I see it. 

One thing I will add is any fan of any other club wanting to come on here to score cheap digs against the club and wider fan base can f**k rite off. All your doing is showing yourself to be a dick who isn’t showing any care for the real issue at hand here. We all have supporters at our clubs we are ashamed of. Keep this to looking after Rico not scoring cheap digs. 

3 hours ago, diamond_for_life said:

On the debate of “abusing” players as long as any criticism is based on a players performance I personally don’t have an issue with it. The argument that “I don’t get abuse at my job ” doesn’t work for me as I don’t have 800 fans paying to watch me work which contributes to my wages.

Most of us know that we shouldn't but we still do it because it feels good to get that emotion off our chest.

I draw the line at abusing Airdrie players but match officials and opposition managers and players are fair game.

Edited by stuartcraig

Most of us know that we shouldn't but we still do it because it feels good to get that emotion off our chest.
I draw the line at abusing Airdrie players but match officials and opposition managers and players are fair game.

Is your line out of support or what you think is acceptable? I don't really give anyone "abuse" at games but will sometimes air my displeasure with whoever has 'upset' me. I think if you give it to one set of folk (say officials) then you can't have a go at someone for having a pop at their own players.

Unless of course your reasoning for not doing it to your own players is down to you seeing it as counterproductive.