The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

18 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Yeah this is one of the big issues for me. On the whole I don’t think most Airdrie fans are any worse than fans of any other club but there’s always been that small group of fans who consistently cause problems. As much as it’s easy to say they’re not a real fan, unfortunately they are and they’re a problem. The club need to make a strong statement about this and deal with it quickly.

Agree. We can’t just move onto promoting the next game and leave Rico to address this himself. I expect and need to see a strong reaction from those in charge. Fed-up with this element of our support.

32 minutes ago, Big Fifer said:

Yes they are. 

14 minutes ago, Big Fifer said:

Agreed. And as you say, it's not a problem unique to Airdrie. Every club, including my own, will have fans that think and say things like this. 

"is not an Airdrie fan" - I wrote that in a nonliteral sense.

23 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Yeah this is one of the big issues for me. On the whole I don’t think most Airdrie fans are any worse than fans of any other club but there’s always been that small group of fans who consistently cause problems. As much as it’s easy to say they’re not a real fan, unfortunately they are and they’re a problem. The club need to make a strong statement about this and deal with it quickly.

2 minutes ago, She who dares gins said:

Agree. We can’t just move onto promoting the next game and leave Rico to address this himself. I expect and need to see a strong reaction from those in charge. Fed-up with this element of our support.

Total agree. A strong statement from the club and hopefully a show of solidarity from the fans on Saturday towards Rico.

Absolutely abhorrent behaviour from this individual. Needs a life ban asap. Add me to the list of people sick to the back teeth of the very small but admittedly very visible to the outside world group of "extreme right wing" numpties that have attached themselves to the club for many, many years. Tommy Robinson, Klan hoods, unacceptable salutes during songs. Moronic stuff, that bewildering gets defended by some. 

6 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

Absolutely abhorrent behaviour from this individual. Needs a life ban asap. Add me to the list of people sick to the back teeth of the very small but admittedly very visible to the outside world group of "extreme right wing" numpties that have attached themselves to the club for many, many years. Tommy Robinson, Klan hoods, unacceptable salutes during songs. Moronic stuff, that bewildering gets defended by some. 

I remember calling out Tommy R’s visit to Broomfield as nothing short of an embarrassment/shameful  and was savaged for it.

Edited by She who dares gins

Meh...

I'm seeing all this hand wringing without knowing what was actually said.

Obviously racial abuse is unacceptable and the club need to deal with that accordingly.

However if you are playing pish then you deserve to be called out on that, just not racially.

Glad I haven't been to any games yet in person this season, as it's been one shitshow after the other. However great to finally see 3 points from the game against Alloa.

Meh...
Obviously racial abuse is unacceptable and the club need to deal with that accordingly.
However if you are playing pish then you deserve to be called out on that, just not racially.
Glad I haven't been to any games yet in person this season, as it's been one shitshow after the other. However great to finally see 3 points from the game against Alloa.

See tbh how would you call someone out for playing pish? By shouting abuse? I don’t really think part time footballers get paid enough to get abuse from football fans, even when playing pish.

If you were doing shite at your job would you be happy for your customers to turn up and shout abuse at you from ten yards away? Don’t think you would. I realise that it happens in football but doesn’t make it right.

I actually feel sorry for people that shout racial abuse. They are clearly uneducated and their lives must be so vacant of something that they feel the need to abuse someone for the colour of their skin

11 minutes ago, Aufc said:

See tbh how would you call someone out for playing pish? By shouting abuse? I don’t really think part time footballers get paid enough to get abuse from football fans, even when playing pish.

If you were doing shite at your job would you be happy for your customers to turn up and shout abuse at you from ten yards away? Don’t think you would. I realise that it happens in football but doesn’t make it right.

I actually feel sorry for people that shout racial abuse. They are clearly uneducated and their lives must be so vacant of something that they feel the need to abuse someone for the colour of their skin

This is a false equivalence.

As someone who manages people myself, I have a responsibility to provide honest performance reviews and be critical where necessary (which affects pay rises incidentally). Am I shouting it from a stand? No of course not, it's an entirely different situation, and criticism has it's place as a motivator.

We do get negative feedback via social media (we are a very large and recognisable company), and while that is not my area, as my department is not customer facing it does touch on topics where the company I work for should be working to do better at.

In the 90s at broomfield, during the clubs most successful period in modern history, we gave as much stick to our own players as was given to the opposition, and here in 2021 people appear to be rather overly fragile when it comes to mere words.

As I said, that doesn't make racial abuse acceptable, but I'm not going to jump to conclusions without having all the facts in hand, as feels before reals and tripping over oneself to virtue signal is a losing mindset. The matter is for the club to deal with accordingly.

Edited by G_H

I remember having a go at a boy up at East Fife for singling out Nat wedderburn for abuse , so it's not just an isolated thing sadly. 

Racial abuse?

It's part and parcel of the game though, at all levels. I think there's 'football abuse' and then there's 'too far'. I rarely shout any direct comments at players (I think the last time was at Alan Martin GK after yet another clanger. And to show how much it takes to make me shout at an individual, he was actually subbed at HT. That's how bad he was) but don't have any issue with fans doing it providing it's in relation to their performance. Getting personal is an entirely different thing though.

Being PT doesn't make a difference. I've watched lower league football and witnessed fans getting frustrated at the players. I think if people have to pay money then they're going to make their feelings known if they feel they're being short-changed.

The argument about "How would people like it if they got abuse at their work" is a two way street. No one would want to be abused at their work but the flipside of that is if people did their job so badly (like a lot of footballers do) then they'd be for the chop. Regardless of how bad a game a player has he'll still be in a job (for a year anyway) and on full pay.

23 minutes ago, G_H said:

I'm glad this has been cleared up.

Hope you guys find the moron responsible and he gets the book chucked at him. Named and shamed, out a job, banned from games. The lot. Absolutely no time for this sort of behaviour at all - especially towards a top guy like Rico. 

Airdrie fans are a good bunch. They have a minority that give them a bad name, but any time I've been in the home end at New Broomfield as a neutral I've always found them to be some of the friendliest fans around. I've every confidence someone who heard it will get the guy named and outed.

7 minutes ago, G_H said:

This is a false equivalence.

As someone who manages people myself, I have a responsibility to provide honest performance reviews and be critical where necessary (which affects pay rises incidentally). Am I shouting it from a stand? No of course not, it's an entirely different situation, and criticism has it's place as a motivator.

We do get negative feedback via social media (we are a very large and recognisable company), and while that is not my area, as my department is not customer facing it does touch on topics where the company I work for should be working to do better at.

In the 90s at broomfield, during the clubs most successful period in modern history, we gave as much stick to our own players as was given to the opposition, and here in 2021 people appear to be rather overly fragile when it comes to mere words.

As I said, that doesn't make racial abuse acceptable, but I'm not going to jump to conclusions without having all the facts in hand, as feels before reals and tripping over oneself to virtue signal is a losing mindset. The matter is for the club to deal with accordingly.

There's always got to be at least one who thrashes into these debates with the "hold on, this black man might be lying about being racially abused". Maybe you could have a wee word with Rico's dad in the stand on Saturday, tell him his son shouldn't be so overly fragile when it comes to words. Tit. 

7 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

There's always got to be at least one who thrashes into these debates with the "hold on, this black man might be lying about being racially abused". Maybe you could have a wee word with Rico's dad in the stand on Saturday, tell him his son shouldn't be so overly fragile when it comes to words. Tit. 

I'm not disputing whatever was said, as I have as much information as you on that, absolutely zero.

I'm also not going to get outraged and join a witch hunt on behalf of someone else purely based on their say so.

How about mind your own club's business. Tit.

Edited by G_H

44 minutes ago, G_H said:

You either trust the player by believing him when he said he received racist abuse or you insist that he provide proof before you support him.  You make your own choices but I'll go with the former.

8 minutes ago, stuartcraig said:

You either trust the player by believing him when he said he received racist abuse or you insist that he provide proof before you support him.  You make your own choices but I'll go with the former.

I'm going with: The club can sort it out and I don't see why I should worry about it either way (unless it means that Rico's skin colour somehow confers immunity to being told he is crap at playing at left back), however I don't see the point of this wee bit of performance art being exhibited by a few of you over it .

Edited by G_H

12 minutes ago, G_H said:

I'm not disputing whatever was said, as I have as much information as you on that, absolutely zero.

I'm also not going to get outraged and join a witch hunt on behalf of someone else purely based on their say so.

How about mind your own club's business. Tit.

Mind my own clubs business :lol: 

4 minutes ago, G_H said:

I'm going with: The club can sort it out and I don't see why I should worry about it either way, however I don't see the point of this wee bit of performance art being exhibited by a few of you over it .

Not worried about potential racists abusing his own players. Condemning racism is now "performance art". Fucking hell. 

Edited by The Moonster

4 minutes ago, G_H said:

I'm going with: The club can sort it out and I don't see why I should worry about it either way (unless it means that Rico's skin colour somehow confers immunity to being told he is crap at playing at left back), however I don't see the point of this wee bit of performance art being exhibited by a few of you over it .

Yea why worry about one of our players potentially being racially abused.

Also nobody is arguing that our players can't be criticised so I don't know why you're digging in on that, the point is that no player should have to do deal with racist abuse regardless of performance.

2 minutes ago, G_H said:

I'm going with: The club can sort it out and I don't see why I should worry about it either way, however I don't see the point of this wee bit of performance art being exhibited by a few of you over it .

From my perspective, it's called allyship.  I have privilege because I'm white in a majority white country - the least I and others like me can do is use that privilege to let Rico know he is supported and that there are plenty of people willing to call out the abuse he received as unacceptable.

2 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

Jesus H Christ, you mean this is still happening at Airdrie. I haven't been for around 20 years but assumed the nazi salute shit had been binned in  the 90's. Saturday's incident has perhaps highlighted the need for those in charge of the club to address the abhorrent problem once and for all. And no, this doesn't happen at other clubs

3 hours ago, Rossm25 said:

I remember having a go at a boy up at East Fife for singling out Nat wedderburn for abuse , so it's not just an isolated thing sadly. 

Feel for Rico,  was written off before he had even kicked a ball by folk and then this. No wonder we cant get players in , who would want to play for us ! I'd say the fans should do something as a show of support but not sure what. 

A wee bit unfair branding  all fan  because of one bad one, one of our fans heard a boy shout (get on your man) and Rico looked up at him, maybe jumped the gun and mistook what he heard