The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

1 hour ago, Mr November said:

Here's Sam Wardrop explaining why he's left

Fair play to Sam. That is absolutely fascinating, and he's definitely done the right thing stepping away. Both for himself and for Airdrie - where he'd be taking a wage with his heart not being in it. In any other industry that would just be accepted, and perhaps this can pave the way for other players who have fallen out of love with the game to feel prepared to take a step back. Credit to him for speaking so openly about the decision.

For all every single one of us on here would kill for the opportunity to pull on our team's kit and run out every week, the life of a footballer in the lower leagues is not one I'd be overly keen on actually living. Poor money, little job security and circa 500 folk telling you you're shite every weekend. Not to mention giving up X number of nights a week for training if you're part-time, midweek treks to Stranraer and Peterhead. Oh and the fact you can't really book a holiday or weekend away at any stage between June and the start of May.

There's absolutely no chance I would want to juggle that with my full-time job. 

28 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Fair play to Sam. That is absolutely fascinating, and he's definitely done the right thing stepping away. Both for himself and for Airdrie - where he'd be taking a wage with his heart not being in it. In any other industry that would just be accepted, and perhaps this can pave the way for other players who have fallen out of love with the game to feel prepared to take a step back. Credit to him for speaking so openly about the decision.

For all every single one of us on here would kill for the opportunity to pull on our team's kit and run out every week, the life of a footballer in the lower leagues is not one I'd be overly keen on actually living. Poor money, little job security and circa 500 folk telling you you're shite every weekend. Not to mention giving up X number of nights a week for training if you're part-time, midweek treks to Stranraer and Peterhead. Oh and the fact you can't really book a holiday or weekend away at any stage between June and the start of May.

There's absolutely no chance I would want to juggle that with my full-time job. 

I’ll be honest, if someone offered me 200/250 quid a week on top of my full-time wage to deal with the above whilst playing part-time football I’d do it in a heart beat, even if it meant pulling on a Clydebank top.

As hard as it is for me to relate to someone getting more happiness out of recording Tiktok & Youtube videos vs playing football for a living, Wardrop has clearly done the right thing. I hope he’s successful with his new endeavours. 

Fair play to Sam. Glad he is prioritising himself, his happiness and mental well-being. There’s nothing more important than that. It can’t be an easy thing walking away from something you’ve been doing essentially your whole life, and something you’ve been paid for since your adolescence. Especially when it’s the ‘dream’ profession. I hope he continues to find happiness in his other endeavours and can be a role model for those he coaches and other players. You can see his passion in his videos so hopefully he can get even more from them now he’ll have more time to devote to them. Fair play to the club to for not making things difficult for him or standing in his way. All the best Sam. 

We made it difficult for ourselves near the end but a good 3 points tonight. We were organised and defended well in the first-half. Alloa had most of the ball but did f**k all with it which we were perfectly content to let them do. Delighted for Gal that he got his goal. He’s been needing that for a while.  Thought our linkup play was great for both goals. Good ball in from Watson for the first and great linkup play between Gal, Easton and Frizzell for the second. And cracking finish from Frizzell. Another well deserved goal. I thought he was excellent tonight. Always looking to go forward, good use of the ball, lovely goal and he did well to dig in against a decent player in Senna. 

We clearly tired in the second-half which I guess is still the affects of Covid. Not much you can do in that sense during a game although I did think Murray could and should have used his subs a lot earlier. Agnew, G. McGill and Gallagher were all visibly toiling which was evident when Agnew didn’t (couldn’t?) win the second ball leading up to Sammon’s goal. Great we were able to see the game out though. We did struggle with Sammon’s physicality but McCabe and Fordyce were brilliantly organised once again. Salim put in a good shift when he came on which is encouraging. Still think we need another centre-half and wide player for reasons already discussed but overall pleased with our efforts and performance tonight. 

Same again on Saturday please ♦️

28 minutes ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

John Kyle imo.

Is that an attempt at a joke? Hopefully whoever it was is identified and banned from the stadium by the club. Takes a lot of guts for Rico to make that kind of statement and I salute him for it. Would be good if we could give him a show of support from the crowd on Saturday imo.

Really disappointed to read that from Rico. I was at the game on Saturday but never heard anything like this, we’re not exactly a massive fanbase though so surely someone must have heard it and knows who it was? Hopefully the club are able to identify them and ban them. I had hoped we were starting to move beyond a small group of our fans being a frequent embarrassment to the club but apparently not. 

Disgusted, ashamed, embarrassed and angry to read that. Full solidarity with Rico and I hope the club find the culprit and show zero tolerance towards them. They should be banned for life and never even so much as be made to feel welcome at anything to do with the football club again. 

I know it can be intimidating but this sort of nonsense has to be called out in the stands too. Even if it’s just telling a steward or getting a group of folk to confront them with you, they absolutely need to be confronted and be made to feel unwelcome, unwanted and unsafe. Zero tolerance from the club and the fans. A gesture of solidarity towards Rico would be good and let him know that he has got the backing of the club and the support and that this shit won’t fly. 

8 hours ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Is that an attempt at a joke? Hopefully whoever it was is identified and banned from the stadium by the club. Takes a lot of guts for Rico to make that kind of statement and I salute him for it. Would be good if we could give him a show of support from the crowd on Saturday imo.

Someone else will know who done this, that's the second incident on sat, boy angry at directors or someone, 

Like the other guys have said above - ashamed and angry. Woke up this morning after a good result against Alloa to read this. Feel kind of sick. Disgusting, intolerable behaviour that drags the club and the good supporters down.

I was at the game with by boy and didn't hear anything being shouted from where I was sitting. And if I had (I am sure like others), then I would have called the idiot out (I am being kind by using the word "idiot" and biting my tongue here) 

But lets be clear - the person who shouted abuse to Rico - is not an Airdrie fan, is not a football fan and shouldn't be welcome at Airdrie.

Hopefully the culprit will be found and banned from all football games.

Happy to get to my feet on Saturday and chant "Rico" for a minute for solidarity for the boy.

Edited by Roger Thornhill

Sorry - still seething - surely with ticket allocation - and Rico mentioning the abuse coming from around the family area - then they will able to deduce where the abuse came from. (I am assuming he is speaking about the seats that were taken up by players partners and families near the front of the Jackie Husband stand.

I remember having a go at a boy up at East Fife for singling out Nat wedderburn for abuse , so it's not just an isolated thing sadly. 

Feel for Rico,  was written off before he had even kicked a ball by folk and then this. No wonder we cant get players in , who would want to play for us ! I'd say the fans should do something as a show of support but not sure what. 

1 hour ago, Roger Thornhill said:

Like the other guys have said above - ashamed and angry. Woke up this morning after a good result against Alloa to read this. Feel kind of sick. Disgusting, intolerable behaviour that drags the club and the good supporters down.

I was at the game with by boy and didn't hear anything being shouted from where I was sitting. And if I had (I am sure like others), then I would have called the idiot out (I am being kind by using the word "idiot" and biting my tongue here) 

But lets be clear - the person who shouted abuse to Rico - is not an Airdrie fan, is not a football fan and shouldn't be welcome at Airdrie.

Hopefully the culprit will be found and banned from all football games.

Happy to get to my feet on Saturday and chant "Rico" for a minute for solidarity for the boy.

Yes they are. 

6 minutes ago, Big Fifer said:

Yes they are. 

Yeah this is one of the big issues for me. On the whole I don’t think most Airdrie fans are any worse than fans of any other club but there’s always been that small group of fans who consistently cause problems. As much as it’s easy to say they’re not a real fan, unfortunately they are and they’re a problem. The club need to make a strong statement about this and deal with it quickly.

2 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Yeah this is one of the big issues for me. On the whole I don’t think most Airdrie fans are any worse than fans of any other club but there’s always been that small group of fans who consistently cause problems. As much as it’s easy to say they’re not a real fan, unfortunately they are and they’re a problem. The club need to make a strong statement about this and deal with it quickly.

Agreed. And as you say, it's not a problem unique to Airdrie. Every club, including my own, will have fans that think and say things like this.