The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

This is a surprise. I was happy when we signed him but he’s struggled so far, Watson looks a better option at right back based on Saturday. I don’t think he’s a huge loss to the squad based on his performances so far but hopefully he’s doing alright and gets the time away from football he needs. We probably need another defender in now given Lyons seems to be out for a while and Kerr still isn’t ready.

1 hour ago, airdrieman said:

Sam Wardrop away. Wasn’t expecting that. Hope he is alright. 

Didn't expect this to happen. Any inside information as to why he left? Personal circumstances or got something else lined up? He's good enough to find another club at this level and play regularly.

1 hour ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Didn't expect this to happen. Any inside information as to why he left? Personal circumstances or got something else lined up? He's good enough to find another club at this level and play regularly.

It says on the website that he wants to spend a bit of time away from football. I (quite rightly) don’t know what his personal circumstances are but he’s had a bit of a torrid time here performance wise plus getting and struggling with Covid on top of whatever else might be going on in his life. I hope his time away allows him to look after himself and get in a better head and physical space for his personal life, fitness career and football should he even wish to return at some point. I hope the club are giving him any support they can also as there’s still a duty of care there IMO. 

I hope everything is good with Wardrop, he has always come across as one of the good guys. 

1 hour ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

He's good enough to find another club at this level and play regularly.

I’m not so sure unfortunately. He never massively impressed with us in his 2nd loan or after he signed permanently. He did have a few good games but he never looked the same after his serious injuries. Perhaps he could get some regular game time at a team fighting it out at the bottom of the table but in terms of a full-time team or a team looking to challenge for the playoffs I’m not convinced.

Ok back to the football and a massive week for Ian Murray.

I've never been overly critical of him but  I doubt he can survive two home defeats this week, especially with East Fife on Saturday and despite our recent Covid issues.

Calum Gallagher has been off the pace all season  so hopefully Callum Smith will replace him on Tuesday night as it's unlikely Salim will be fit enough to start, otherwise probably the same team as Saturday.

22 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Ok back to the football and a massive week for Ian Murray.

I've never been overly critical of him but  I doubt he can survive two home defeats this week, especially with East Fife on Saturday and despite our recent Covid issues.

Calum Gallagher has been off the pace all season  so hopefully Callum Smith will replace him on Tuesday night as it's unlikely Salim will be fit enough to start, otherwise probably the same team as Saturday.

I can’t see us doing anything in that department until the first round of games are over and that’s at the very earliest, unless of course he makes an exit himself. 

5 hours ago, She who dares gins said:

I can’t see us doing anything in that department until the first round of games are over and that’s at the very earliest, unless of course he makes an exit himself. 

Personally I don't see Murray going anytime soon, and to be fair he should their is no real reason to,   9th place after 5 games,  No , it means nothing at this time,  although we have to and will win football matches,   We are also producing fairly consistent performances and apart from Montrose, we have been the better side in games ....

Ian Murray will possibly go when and if it suits him, arguably he has taken us to our ceiling now as a club 500 crowds, total apathy in the town and amongst the support, covid has probably propelled it, forget about all the past glories 25 years ago,  we are a top 4 league 1 club now and get used to it...  Clubs in the championship like Ayr and Dunfermline will probably start to look downwards for managers with fresh ideas,  Murray must be getting to the stage of being in the frame for jobs in league above,  not due to being anything  special, more just a steady hand at the tiller,    could be interesting times ahead in the next year or so....