The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

3 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:

What's the chances of the wee cup match on Friday going ahead?

Our players who have been out with covid are due to return this week.  Should be fine for the weekend.  The only worry would be we haven't trained as squad and the last few weeks aside are still trying to find a starting 11.   Quite looking forward to Friday night football and seeing that QP away top.

5 hours ago, Ballboy said:

Our players who have been out with covid are due to return this week.  Should be fine for the weekend.  The only worry would be we haven't trained as squad and the last few weeks aside are still trying to find a starting 11.   Quite looking forward to Friday night football and seeing that QP away top.

And I think it is a League trip to Firhill the next game. Trying to mind when we last played a Fridayhome  night game -maybe against Rangers a few seasons ago. QP kind of outplayed us in the L1 game but Currie stopped them and we had a few chances. Would rather win in the League than in this underwhelming cup but will still want to watch it.

7 hours ago, Ballboy said:

Cheers.  It's a measure of how up for it I am this season that I'm looking forward to a trip to Airdrie on a Friday night in a cup I can't even remember the name of.

Best wishes to all the players who have been self-isolating with or due to Covid. Here's hoping they make a full and as quick a recovery as possible. I noticed at least a couple of the players who were in the initial 5 positive cases are now out of their isolation period. Hopefully that means we'll have some sort of team together for Friday night. It being a cup game means I suppose there's less pressure to rush people back. But it's still a competitive game, at home against a team in our league, in a cup we can win so I like to think we'll put as strong a team out as possible. Not as if there's any reserves to call upon anyway! These next two games against Queen's Park will be a good marker for us. 

Obviously not ideal circumstances but hopefully the week or two off will have helped players like Salim and Josh Kerr with their rehab too. 

Edited by airdrieman

27 minutes ago, bobthespider said:

Can any Airdrie fans tell me what the clubs stream is like as I won’t be able to manage tomorrow night. Thanks

These highlights were edited from our last stream. I'm guessing it won't be that sunny on Friday night.

https://www.airdriefc.com/dtv2122/140821/airdrieonians-vs-falkirk

Overall we were not good enough to beat Queens Park reserves at home, spin it any way you want but if we don’t win our next league game then we are in trouble. Hate being negative, been at every game this season so here is my take so far. Currie solid, Fordyce and Watson solid, as long as we have Wardrop or Walker at right back we will not progress. Rico on the other side is not much better, teams will look to expose our full backs week in week out.

Midfield – McCabe solid, Frizell and Easton flatter to deceive, tidy on he ball but how much do they create that hurts teams? In the last 20 minutes of games they both disappear and we get overrun, last season we overran teams in the final 20 minutes, were almost impossible to score against and closed out games. I would rather have players who put the foot in and even if ugly we win games. Agnew it is time to hang up the boots and just help Murray on the side, he was on for 20 minutes and looked goosed after 10 minutes.

Forwards – We are fine here and when all fit we will get goals from Gallagher, Salim, Smith

How Murray can stand there and not see how weak we are in full back, how bad we are in final 20 minutes and cant close out games is beyond me. I think he will get fired if we dont start winning and I'd take winning ugly right now than trying to play through teams.

1 hour ago, DiamondsForever1970 said:

Overall we were not good enough to beat Queens Park reserves at home, spin it any way you want but if we don’t win our next league game then we are in trouble. Hate being negative, been at every game this season so here is my take so far. Currie solid, Fordyce and Watson solid, as long as we have Wardrop or Walker at right back we will not progress. Rico on the other side is not much better, teams will look to expose our full backs week in week out.

Midfield – McCabe solid, Frizell and Easton flatter to deceive, tidy on he ball but how much do they create that hurts teams? In the last 20 minutes of games they both disappear and we get overrun, last season we overran teams in the final 20 minutes, were almost impossible to score against and closed out games. I would rather have players who put the foot in and even if ugly we win games. Agnew it is time to hang up the boots and just help Murray on the side, he was on for 20 minutes and looked goosed after 10 minutes.

Forwards – We are fine here and when all fit we will get goals from Gallagher, Salim, Smith

How Murray can stand there and not see how weak we are in full back, how bad we are in final 20 minutes and cant close out games is beyond me. I think he will get fired if we dont start winning and I'd take winning ugly right now than trying to play through teams.

Aye, home record not clever, get a better idea on sat v  Queens again, they will have a different  starting line up, I notice that Millar  was back in East  Fifes  midfield, certainly a big game for us and manager  on sat, 

I do think it’s important to remember that several of those players have either just recovered or are still recovering from Covid and the rest of them haven’t trained properly (or at all) for the best part of a fortnight. Sam Wardrop for one had mentioned on social media how rough he’d been feeling in the preceding week and I’m sure he wasn’t the only one. We were also missing Currie (or indeed any sort of replacement goalie), Kerr, Salim and Gallagher who would all have started and the latter two would have given us a better cutting edge than that provided by Allan. We were also missing McGill and Caves who would have at least given us further options off the bench to change things. That’s always going to be difficult playing against a team who train full-time everyday. Maybe that’s making excuses but I think a bit of slack in this instance is reasonable. I also don’t think a draw against Queen’s Park is a terrible result in isolation although we absolutely should have won the game/seen it out. 

I do agree though, the home form is dire and simply has to get better. One home win all season so far isn’t acceptable. There’s two home games in a week coming up and we really have to win both of them. No reason we can’t and win at Firhill on Saturday too. 

I also agree that we need to be seeing out games far better. Like I said above perhaps a bit of slack can be allowed for Friday, and the Peterhead game given the circumstances, but that’s those two games plus Dumbarton away where we should have came out with a win or a better margin of victory. We also should have got something from the Falkirk game given we played the entire second-half against 10 men. Won’t be too harsh on them for Friday but this is something that really can’t become any more of a trend than it already has. 

4 hours ago, DiamondsForever1970 said:

....  I will try my best to spin it in a more positive and realistic way,   how about Covid hit Airdrie with 5 starters out held big spending Queens Park only losing on penalties after Quee ns equalised with 5 minutes to go via a penalty kick, which was there only shot on target in the 90 minutes,   is that about right.

Agree that Currie is solid, Watson solid, Fordyce I disagree, for his experience he fairly panics, which ends up in a hopeless lineup the park, even his teammates are moaning about it, calm down ffs...  The way teams play these days with full backs pushing on, all teams I have seen so far look weak in the full back positions we are no different,although Wardrop looks more comfortable at a right back in a 4,  where as Rico is better going forward as a wing back play in a 3..

.......McCabe makes the team tick, lovely passer and a calming influence on those found about him, take note dycey.... Frizzell and Easton are very  good, but need decent Forwards to feed,  Allan and McGill again st Queens struggled to hold the ball up,   not convinced as the season progresses Frizzell and Easton will both be on the park at the same time,  Agnew was never a Kyle Turner type p!ayer even in his prime, aggie never had pace, what he has is a tremendous array of passing and experience,which we will need to see us through games...

......The Forwards are fine as long as they do there job and score goals,  Gallagher is a proven 10 to 15 goal a season striker,  Salim should do fine if he gets a run at it,  Allan as showed on Friday is a backup,  McGill after been written off early on, is doing well and our most likely to get a goal,    Smith a player I like a lot, looks out of sorts on the right or left wings,  the lad should be playing as a part of 3 with either Ball or Salim, a little bit of square pegs and round holes I feel..

We will have to play a lot better even to get a point at firhill on saturday,   Murray will not get fired,  who will do it....

We were about eight minutes from victory over a fairly strong Queens side and then a 'rookie' mistake changed the whole game. QP rarely threatened the other evening despite having so much play and a win for us would not have been unjust.

For me, our trouble this and previous seasons is not having the firepower to change games. We could and should have been two or three up on Friday night before the penalty. I've said many times however, compare our stikers with those teams who will be challenging at the top and it'll give you a fair idea where we will be in May. As for fitness, I feel that the lack of a physical forward player contributes to us giving the ball back to the opposition far too frequently in the latter half of a game. We seen this the other evening when Scotland chose not to play Dykes up front against Denmark.

As for our present forward line, Gabby McGill has been terrific since arriving but Calum Gallagher must be feeling the pressure now as he has had numerous chances to score in the past few games and not produced. My main hope for this season is that Aissa gets a good run in the side as I believe he could deliver the goals, it's not like we are not creating chances in every game.