The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

8 hours ago, airdrieman said:

I’m a season ticket holder so I might be the wrong person to ask but Airdrie home games in League 1 are unappealing to me (and presumably everyone else) for two main reasons. Both of which feed into the other. Firstly, there’s zero atmosphere and the whole experience is a bit soulless and joyless. Secondly, and most importantly, we never fucking win at home. Either would make home games far more palatable but we get neither of them. Home games would be far more palatable if there was an atmosphere at games and/or you were going somewhere like an old Broomfield, a Somerset Park, a Palmerston or even a Cliftonhill. Obviously that’s never going to happen but the stadium can make for a decent enough atmosphere when there’s a crowd in. The Falkirk game last week, and the ones previous, have been some of the more enjoyable home games in recent years because there’s actually been a crowd in. Just look at the Motherwell game also. But all sins around there not being an atmosphere would be forgiven if we actually won more games than we didn’t at home. That’s what would ultimately get more people into the ground and in turn would create a much better atmosphere. We saw it during our run at the end of last season. You actually looked forward to watching the home games on a Tuesday night, more people were more invested, people were positive online, bought merchandise etc. It’s just a shame we couldn’t get into the stadium and manifest that positivity in person. I’m not sure the price puts people off although I don’t think it helps and it gives people another reason not to go. Again if you start winning games and give people a reason to go they will pay for it. But it’s grim at the moment when you’re turning up for a run of the mill league 1 game, there’s 50 away fans, you’re playing Murrayball and you’re not even winning. It’s just not enjoyable at all. 

So aye the TLDR version really is, if we want to get more people through the turnstiles, start winning some fucking home games please. Over to you Mr Murray.

We also usually find a way to lose any important games when we manage to get a crowd in.

5 hours ago, Tory Boy said:

On top of the folk that don’t have access the online stuff, I’m sure there are others who are just lazy and can’t be arsed going online to buy tickets. I know in my group of mates it doesn’t take much persuasion to spend an afternoon in the pub rather than going to the game. This just gives them another excuse.

I am definitely in the camp of not being arsed to go online and buy the tickets. 

So, atmosphere at game, general atmosphere around the club, failing to follow the shite camera every club had last season so losing some interest, price up, online purchase only. That's my reasons. I'm sure I'll be back sooner rather than later; it's not a "planned" absence or anything. 

6 hours ago, Tory Boy said:

It definitely has some baring, how much I’m not sure.

I was speaking to an old fella who hadn’t made it to games as he doesn’t have access to the internet.  

I messaged someone at the Club about it and he is going to see what can be done.

On top of the folk that don’t have access the online stuff, I’m sure there are others who are just lazy and can’t be arsed going online to buy tickets. I know in my group of mates it doesn’t take much persuasion to spend an afternoon in the pub rather than going to the game. This just gives them another excuse.

I don’t know the figures to hand but I’d assume North Lanarkshire has a reasonably high percentage of folk who aren’t digitally literate. I’ve never had a problem with buying streams or tickets but if you look at the club’s Twitter during the week or on a match day there’s almost always a couple of folk who have seem to be having difficulties making a purchase. And these are people online so must be at least semi-competent with a computer. I do understand the concerns with handling cash but most places, at least as far as I know, are accepting cash once again. I believe our concession stands are also (not sure about the club shop?). The online tickets are actually more convenient for me as somebody who doesn’t carry tend to carry cash anymore. But it seems pointless to alienate or prevent people from going if/when there’s an easy fix. 

Speaking of alienating and preventing folk from what going whatever happened to Sammy’s Shelter? A fantastic and worthwhile initiative that, if I remember correctly, was removed for a Rangers game (a spurious and disgraceful to take it down in the first place) and never put back up. 

6 hours ago, Eric the half a b said:

Your spot on about the stadium, atmosphere and prices imo there is little or no positive PR comes out from the club to encourage fans to attend games and you need a winning team also though in traditional fashion when we do get a decent home support we blow it home for has not been great for a long long time to many dropped points against teams we expect to beat ♦️

The club, although admittedly not necessarily the current regime, has undertaken some great initiatives to encourage fans to come to the game. Sammy’s Shelter and the sensory room are particularly fantastic, laudable and worthwhile initiatives that probably aren’t heralded enough TBH. The merchandise space and options is much better. There’s the free season tickets for U16s. They’ve done a couple of events with legends in the past if I remember correctly and were meant to do one with Doddy’s team before Covid scuppered everything. I can take or leave the diamond dancers right enough. 

But aye it’s all a bit pointless if we don’t actually win at 16:45! 

11 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

Speaking of alienating and preventing folk from what going whatever happened to Sammy’s Shelter? A fantastic and worthwhile initiative that, if I remember correctly, was removed for a Rangers game (a spurious and disgraceful to take it down in the first place) and never put back up. 

Did the shelter not end up in some planning row with NL Council which meant it couldn’t go back up? I might be misremembering. Apologies if that’s the case! 

6 hours ago, Eric the half a b said:

Cheers thanks for that. Hopefully we can get a win ♦️

Paid my tenner today and no internet problems. Warm and dry in a comfy seat rather than windy and probably wet Balmoor-but first away game missed since pre restrictions: will I miss the live experience? I will certainly miss the marvellous fish supper in Stonehaven, still a curry will suffice-get me a win!

9 hours ago, Tory Boy said:

It definitely has some baring, how much I’m not sure.

I was speaking to an old fella who hadn’t made it to games as he doesn’t have access to the internet.  

I messaged someone at the Club about it and he is going to see what can be done.

Personally I would like to keep what we have, who are willing to abide by the New system of entry, remember this is due to covid not some obstacle to the swaying fan who might go, might not.... 

i have always found the club admin approachable,  if people have concerns giving back details etc, speak up dont bitch on social media about it..

Can anyone confirm if Christies still have the catering franchise,if so mayb e that is reason cash is taken at the kiosks...

3 hours ago, She who dares gins said:

Did the shelter not end up in some planning row with NL Council which meant it couldn’t go back up? I might be misremembering. Apologies if that’s the case! 

The shelter is still there in the same place,  I seem to remember it wasn't fit  for purpose, just looks like a glorified bus shelter.......

56 minutes ago, Passionate said:

The shelter is still there in the same place,  I seem to remember it wasn't fit  for purpose, just looks like a glorified bus shelter.......

1 hour ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Paid my tenner today and no internet problems. Warm and dry in a comfy seat rather than windy and probably wet Balmoor-but first away game missed since pre restrictions: will I miss the live experience? I will certainly miss the marvellous fish supper in Stonehaven, still a curry will suffice-get me a win!

I may have made the effort to travel if had a few more points on the board but as you say can't complain 10 quid to watch at home. Would imagine if streaming still around by the winter be some very small crowds around more so if cheaper to watch than going to the actual game ♦️

7 minutes ago, Ballboy said:

Is there a rule on a player having to self isolate for 10 days  or players tested weekly?.   Could maybe have in impact on next week also.  

10 days isolation after positive test,    the cases appear to be staggered over a couple of days,  would imagine the Alloa game next week would be affected, if so.   New defenders would need to be signed even just on loan..

My best guess:

Fordyce as sweeper, 2 wingers on each side, gallacher wandering around offside at centre forward, and everyone else scattered randomly in midfield and told to chase the ball around like a bunch of schoolkids at lunchtime. punt and hope.

Edited by G_H

That was a very pleasing 80+ minutes. I was a wee bit surprised at the defence but McCabe often plays really deep and he had a very composed game. We also had no worries about just clearing it on occasions but  there was also some good lobbed passes to the front runners. I was worried about McDonald as their No 2 was a sprightly forward but he stuck at it. Scott McGill also deserves credit for doing a good job ( better than Wardrop). We played some really good football with the interpassing of Easton/Frizzell and Agnew had the kind of game I was hoping for . I  don't think he lost the ball at all. Gabby had a busy time and well deserved his goal . Callum Smith finally came good in the 2nd half and he can't be faulted for his work rate. Gal still looks out of sorts and he missed a real pinch, scoring that would have helped him as much as us.  The penalty was a wonderful pass by Easton and it was so good to see Conroy make the error. I only heard the third goal as the camera appeared to be following some other ball in the mist. Peterhead's subs did get them back in and at first i thought Currie had done well to punch it away, but it was a great volley by Brown. Fears of being overwhelmed did start as Frizzell seemed to run out of energy, but bringing on Dean Ritchie would be a step too far. Relieved to get the win and pleased with much of our play. The commentators were quite good and I did wonder why we played in a dark jersey where the white top would have made it easier for me to see on a misty screen.  Good to see the travelling band behind the goals and the team clapping them-it's maybe as well I stay away? Missed the fish supper but the Curry was great again. Out of the bottom two  so let's catch up by upsetting Barry Ferguson.

Great result given the circumstances. Need to put a run together now. A win over Alloa next week, and ideally teams above us dropping points, will see us right back in the mix. I'm not sure when exactly the positive tests happened but hopefully we'll get at least some bodies back next week. I'm not sure how fit he is but good to see Salim back this afternoon. Gal isn't quite up and running yet (although glad to see he got the assist for Gabby's goal) so getting Salim fit and firing can only help us in terms of winning games and killing teams off.

Hope the fans who went up and the players and staff enjoy their night and speedy recovery to all the players who have tested positive. 

Edited by airdrieman