The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

Now i wouldn't have batted an eyelid if Murray was sacked at the end of last season but i see no point in dispensing with him now as all it means is that someone new comes in and gets a free hit until the end of season. "It's not my players"  "we'll build for next season" etc etc.                                          I'm positive Ian Murray knows that it's promotion or out!

We should be careful what we wish for as our recent managerial appointments have been utterly horrendous:

Findlay, Aitchison, Wilson, McBride, Wolecki Black!!!!

Currently joint bottom of the table. 1 point from 9. Can't beat a team playing with 10 men.

How long does he get?

I appreciate people can point and say we are only 3 games in, but that 3 games in is already just under 10% of the league season that has effectively been wasted.

There needs to be urgency in turning things around, not patience.

Edited by G_H

Have to agreed with the doom and gloom here....

I've just not seen anything to get excited about. If you look tactically at the difference between how Falkirk dealt with their sending off compared to us , it was night and day. They brought on another striker to block us from playing from the back. Where as against Dumbarton we went into full panic mode and made some bizarre subs. 

I don't think our squad is too far away , and will he good to see when salim is back and fully fit what shape we go to . But for me , Murray just doesn't have it and hasn't shown anything to prove me otherwise. Our second position finish last year probably flatters us a bit. 

On another note , if Gal doesn't score this weekend he needs benched. Always liked him but he's clearly not producing the goods. 

36 minutes ago, Rossm25 said:

Have to agreed with the doom and gloom here....

I've just not seen anything to get excited about. If you look tactically at the difference between how Falkirk dealt with their sending off compared to us , it was night and day. They brought on another striker to block us from playing from the back. Where as against Dumbarton we went into full panic mode and made some bizarre subs. 

I don't think our squad is too far away , and will he good to see when salim is back and fully fit what shape we go to . But for me , Murray just doesn't have it and hasn't shown anything to prove me otherwise. Our second position finish last year probably flatters us a bit. 

On another note , if Gal doesn't score this weekend he needs benched. Always liked him but he's clearly not producing the goods. 

Still don’t want to be doom and gloom about the squad but do agree about Gal.   If he isn’t getting us something from games we need to change it up and create competition for places.   Queue Gal hat trick….. 

We are once again seeing that Murray does not know how to set a team up to attack. There is no tempo or fluidity when we go forward, its kick and rush, playing for breaks and second balls mostly. We had one great move vs dumbarton where we passed and moved quick, but that is an isolated example. I think we have the players to get the ball down and move it quick, we just don't have a manager who can organise them. Gallacher has been bloody awful too. Why does he never react to a ball quicker than the nearest defender?

Added to this, we seem incapable of dealing with the opposition running at us. How many goals have we conceded from players cutting inside, instead of getting shown down the line? Schoolboy defending.

Mid table was my expectation this year. Cove and Queens park are splashing the cash, Falkirk will be there too. Montrose, we seem to make them look like Brazil whenever we play them so don't hold out much hope we will be above them. Could end up 8th.

Falkirk second goal on saturday was a lovely finish, but the 3 failed clearances from us were embarrassing. We conceded our second against Dumbarton from a sclafed clearance (Calum Smith), same vs Falkirk(Quitongo). Professional footballers that can't kick a f*cking football properly. What happened to just getting the ball clear?

29 minutes ago, David_86 said:

We are once again seeing that Murray does not know how to set a team up to attack. There is no tempo or fluidity when we go forward, its kick and rush, playing for breaks and second balls mostly. We had one great move vs dumbarton where we passed and moved quick, but that is an isolated example. I think we have the players to get the ball down and move it quick, we just don't have a manager who can organise them. Gallacher has been bloody awful too. Why does he never react to a ball quicker than the nearest defender?

Added to this, we seem incapable of dealing with the opposition running at us. How many goals have we conceded from players cutting inside, instead of getting shown down the line? Schoolboy defending.

Mid table was my expectation this year. Cove and Queens park are splashing the cash, Falkirk will be there too. Montrose, we seem to make them look like Brazil whenever we play them so don't hold out much hope we will be above them. Could end up 8th.

Falkirk second goal on saturday was a lovely finish, but the 3 failed clearances from us were embarrassing. We conceded our second against Dumbarton from a sclafed clearance (Calum Smith), same vs Falkirk(Quitongo). Professional footballers that can't kick a f*cking football properly. What happened to just getting the ball clear?

Have to agree, when I looked at the signings before seeing them play then I thought it would be a mid-table if we're lucky. Based on our own business and the teams around us. Stupid mistakes as highlighted above need sorted ASAP. It is basics. Hopefully it does start to click soon. As for Gal, a morton pal of mine went to the game on Saturday. First comment to me was how many times is that guy offside in a game. If you can't sort that after 3 seasons what chance have you got.

Also. Yes everyone can best everyone else but consistency is needed if you’re ever going to get out this league. Look back at last season and the difference was where we lost to say Dumbarton. These games must be won. 

Edited by She who dares gins

On 15/08/2021 at 20:14, thediamonddude said:

^ My brief take on the game yesterday from the match thread.

Got to say that while I’m as disappointed as everyone else here about only taking 1 point from a possible 9 so far, I’m massively encouraged by the way we’ve played in the past couple of weeks.

I think any notion that this is some sort of disaster start is a wee bit premature, given we know how easy it is for teams to drop points to anyone - no one will be running away with the league this season.

I’m happy with what we’ve got defensively - we just need to cut out the silly mistakes, which should be easy enough to do. We’ve bossed the midfield the past two weeks and as others have said, this is probably the best midfield we’ve had in God knows how long. Finally, we’ve got forwards that are capable of finishing - Gal and Kouder-Alissa are proven goal scorers at this level and I think McGill/Smith, while not necessarily prolific, will chip in too. 

I’m sure few folk will agree with me here as well, but I’d give credit to Murray for the formation switch. None of us were happy with the 3-5-2 a few weeks back and, despite him clearly favouring it as he’d used it so effectively last year, he’s switched to the 4-3-3 and we’ve looked much more comfortable.

Like I say, the issues yesterday are easily fixed - cut out silly errors at the back and take your chances when they come up. I’d be much more concerned if we weren’t playing well and creating the chances in the first place.

I think we’ll find that the next 3 or 4 games will really see us hit our stride and if I’m wrong, then I’ll re-evaluate my thoughts.

Way too early to be panicking about anything though - I genuinely think we’ve got the best squad we’ve had in years, just need some patience.

They are only easily fixed if you believe that the silly mistakes and bad finishing are uncharacteristic for those players and not, as I'm inclined to believe, that they are just representative of the ability of our players. The misses from the likes of Smith and Allan were exactly what I'd expect from them, I like Smith as a player overall but he can't finish, and Allan's goalscoring record speaks for itself. Therefore saying 'we just need to take our chances' isn't as easy as it sounds as you are asking players to do things that they don't have a track record of doing.

It's still hard to judge on few performances, but I think we probably have better footballers this year than we've had for a while - McCabe and Easton can clearly play a bit in midfield (compared to Paul McKay playing attacking midfield last year!). But that doesn't mean that much if you lose daft goals and can't score.

I think it's important to remember that although we finished 2nd last season the squad that we had for the bulk of the season was not a 2nd place standard squad. We only sealed our place in the top half in the last game before the split, and only achieved that due to signing Turner and to a lesser extent Paton. Our actual squad for the season (minus Turner and Paton) was a mid-table squad at best. And that was in a season when Partick were rubbish until after lockdown, and Falkirk were just rubbish. This season Cove have (on paper at least) improved their squad, Falkirk are better, Queens Park have replaced Forfar which is a huge upgrade, Montrose look similar to what they were last year and played us off the park, and you have Alloa who have put together a decent squad. I'm not convinced that we've improved on last year, but even if we have to maintain at least a top half position we'd need to improve pretty significantly to keep up with the improvements in the rest of the league. It is very possible (infact very likely) that we could have a better squad than we had for most of last season but finish a few positions lower.

I've said for a while that Murray deserves this full season with his squad, so in a sense it's a pointless debate, all we can do is see what happens and hope it works out. But I'm certainly less optimistic than yourself and a few others unfortunately. 

1 hour ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

They are only easily fixed if you believe that the silly mistakes and bad finishing are uncharacteristic for those players and not, as I'm inclined to believe, that they are just representative of the ability of our players. The misses from the likes of Smith and Allan were exactly what I'd expect from them, I like Smith as a player overall but he can't finish, and Allan's goalscoring record speaks for itself. Therefore saying 'we just need to take our chances' isn't as easy as it sounds as you are asking players to do things that they don't have a track record of doing.

It's still hard to judge on few performances, but I think we probably have better footballers this year than we've had for a while - McCabe and Easton can clearly play a bit in midfield (compared to Paul McKay playing attacking midfield last year!). But that doesn't mean that much if you lose daft goals and can't score.

I think it's important to remember that although we finished 2nd last season the squad that we had for the bulk of the season was not a 2nd place standard squad. We only sealed our place in the top half in the last game before the split, and only achieved that due to signing Turner and to a lesser extent Paton. Our actual squad for the season (minus Turner and Paton) was a mid-table squad at best. And that was in a season when Partick were rubbish until after lockdown, and Falkirk were just rubbish. This season Cove have (on paper at least) improved their squad, Falkirk are better, Queens Park have replaced Forfar which is a huge upgrade, Montrose look similar to what they were last year and played us off the park, and you have Alloa who have put together a decent squad. I'm not convinced that we've improved on last year, but even if we have to maintain at least a top half position we'd need to improve pretty significantly to keep up with the improvements in the rest of the league. It is very possible (infact very likely) that we could have a better squad than we had for most of last season but finish a few positions lower.

I've said for a while that Murray deserves this full season with his squad, so in a sense it's a pointless debate, all we can do is see what happens and hope it works out. But I'm certainly less optimistic than yourself and a few others unfortunately. 

2 points: firstly disappointed at the attendance for home games and yes there are a few factors that have contributed to this but still. 

Secondly v Montrose we were awful and deserved that result the other 2 games there have been promising signs Falkirk did to us what we did to them last season. Yet again we have so many new players I am not surprised there is work needed. 

I was none to impressed with Falkirk or Queens Park all be it in a league cup game so for me we will be in the play-offs and hopefully better prepared.

I don't always agree with the managers assessments of games but imo again he was spot on this week.

The only way is up ♦️

1 hour ago, Eric the half a b said:

2 points: firstly disappointed at the attendance for home games and yes there are a few factors that have contributed to this but still. 

Secondly v Montrose we were awful and deserved that result the other 2 games there have been promising signs Falkirk did to us what we did to them last season. Yet again we have so many new players I am not surprised there is work needed. 

I was none to impressed with Falkirk or Queens Park all be it in a league cup game so for me we will be in the play-offs and hopefully better prepared.

I don't always agree with the managers assessments of games but imo again he was spot on this week.

The only way is up ♦️

Aye, but if the players can't do the simple things, like header the ball, strike the ball properly, then they should not be there, we have, Frizzell, Easton, McCabe, Gabby McGill who are certainly good enough for this league, I wonder what Smiths best position is, did have a couple of heading chances, maybe when injuries clear up he will play out wider, his pace will trouble defences., 

23 hours ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

Airdrie vs Montrose 529

Dumbarton vs Airdrie 532

Airdrie vs Falkirk 1,188 (521 home, 667 away)

Those make for grim reading. I thought the home end was pretty busy against Montrose & expected there to be more at the Falkirk game. 

I wonder if no pay at the gate is affecting the crowds. 

3 hours ago, The clean living guy said:

Those make for grim reading. I thought the home end was pretty busy against Montrose & expected there to be more at the Falkirk game. 

Begs the question, why would it ........Too early to make accurate ascertions,   Many clubs have went  down the cashless route and is it affecting there crowds, 

home crowd attendances are worryingly low although are these offset with the live streaming crowds.

Is 18 pound putting people off, does a pound of two make such a difference, especially with no 50\50 or programmes to take your extra pennies....

We are going to hold Murray's feet to the fire, if we don't win the league (he did state it). are we now an also ran League 1 club with sub 500 home attendance at games,    how are we expected to compete with Falkirk with 2k season ticket holders,   Do we give a flying f*** anymore .....

and personally i think we will go toe to toe with them all season....

2 hours ago, Passionate said:

and personally i think we will go toe to toe with them all season.

One hopes so. Margins were slight on Saturday. The same margins that have favoured us in seasons gone by.

We need to find new positives. Hopefully not beyond us.

On 18/08/2021 at 18:27, Passionate said:

Begs the question, why would it ........Too early to make accurate ascertions,   Many clubs have went  down the cashless route and is it affecting there crowds, 

home crowd attendances are worryingly low although are these offset with the live streaming crowds.

Is 18 pound putting people off, does a pound of two make such a difference, especially with no 50\50 or programmes to take your extra pennies....

We are going to hold Murray's feet to the fire, if we don't win the league (he did state it). are we now an also ran League 1 club with sub 500 home attendance at games,    how are we expected to compete with Falkirk with 2k season ticket holders,   Do we give a flying f*** anymore .....

and personally i think we will go toe to toe with them all season....

I’m a season ticket holder so I might be the wrong person to ask but Airdrie home games in League 1 are unappealing to me (and presumably everyone else) for two main reasons. Both of which feed into the other. Firstly, there’s zero atmosphere and the whole experience is a bit soulless and joyless. Secondly, and most importantly, we never fucking win at home. Either would make home games far more palatable but we get neither of them. Home games would be far more palatable if there was an atmosphere at games and/or you were going somewhere like an old Broomfield, a Somerset Park, a Palmerston or even a Cliftonhill. Obviously that’s never going to happen but the stadium can make for a decent enough atmosphere when there’s a crowd in. The Falkirk game last week, and the ones previous, have been some of the more enjoyable home games in recent years because there’s actually been a crowd in. Just look at the Motherwell game also. But all sins around there not being an atmosphere would be forgiven if we actually won more games than we didn’t at home. That’s what would ultimately get more people into the ground and in turn would create a much better atmosphere. We saw it during our run at the end of last season. You actually looked forward to watching the home games on a Tuesday night, more people were more invested, people were positive online, bought merchandise etc. It’s just a shame we couldn’t get into the stadium and manifest that positivity in person. I’m not sure the price puts people off although I don’t think it helps and it gives people another reason not to go. Again if you start winning games and give people a reason to go they will pay for it. But it’s grim at the moment when you’re turning up for a run of the mill league 1 game, there’s 50 away fans, you’re playing Murrayball and you’re not even winning. It’s just not enjoyable at all. 

So aye the TLDR version really is, if we want to get more people through the turnstiles, start winning some fucking home games please. Over to you Mr Murray.

2 hours ago, airdrieman said:

I’m a season ticket holder so I might be the wrong person to ask but Airdrie home games in League 1 are unappealing to me (and presumably everyone else) for two main reasons. Both of which feed into the other. Firstly, there’s zero atmosphere and the whole experience is a bit soulless and joyless. Secondly, and most importantly, we never fucking win at home. Either would make home games far more palatable but we get neither of them. Home games would be far more palatable if there was an atmosphere at games and/or you were going somewhere like an old Broomfield, a Somerset Park, a Palmerston or even a Cliftonhill. Obviously that’s never going to happen but the stadium can make for a decent enough atmosphere when there’s a crowd in. The Falkirk game last week, and the ones previous, have been some of the more enjoyable home games in recent years because there’s actually been a crowd in. Just look at the Motherwell game also. But all sins around there not being an atmosphere would be forgiven if we actually won more games than we didn’t at home. That’s what would ultimately get more people into the ground and in turn would create a much better atmosphere. We saw it during our run at the end of last season. You actually looked forward to watching the home games on a Tuesday night, more people were more invested, people were positive online, bought merchandise etc. It’s just a shame we couldn’t get into the stadium and manifest that positivity in person. I’m not sure the price puts people off although I don’t think it helps and it gives people another reason not to go. Again if you start winning games and give people a reason to go they will pay for it. But it’s grim at the moment when you’re turning up for a run of the mill league 1 game, there’s 50 away fans, you’re playing Murrayball and you’re not even winning. It’s just not enjoyable at all. 

So aye the TLDR version really is, if we want to get more people through the turnstiles, start winning some fucking home games please. Over to you Mr Murray.

Your spot on about the stadium, atmosphere and prices imo there is little or no positive PR comes out from the club to encourage fans to attend games and you need a winning team also though in traditional fashion when we do get a decent home support we blow it home for has not been great for a long long time to many dropped points against teams we expect to beat ♦️

On 18/08/2021 at 14:41, The clean living guy said:

It definitely has some baring, how much I’m not sure.

I was speaking to an old fella who hadn’t made it to games as he doesn’t have access to the internet.  

I messaged someone at the Club about it and he is going to see what can be done.

On top of the folk that don’t have access the online stuff, I’m sure there are others who are just lazy and can’t be arsed going online to buy tickets. I know in my group of mates it doesn’t take much persuasion to spend an afternoon in the pub rather than going to the game. This just gives them another excuse.

46 minutes ago, Tory Boy said:

It definitely has some baring, how much I’m not sure.

I was speaking to an old fella who hadn’t made it to games as he doesn’t have access to the internet.  

I messaged someone at the Club about it and he is going to see what can be done.

On top of the folk that don’t have access the online stuff, I’m sure there are others who are just lazy and can’t be arsed going online to buy tickets. I know in my group of mates it doesn’t take much persuasion to spend an afternoon in the pub rather than going to the game. This just gives them another excuse.

Is the game being streamed on Saturday ♦️