The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

1 hour ago, She who dares gins said:

I think for me the overwhelming feeling after yesterday was how depressingly predicable it was that we’d throw the 2-0 away after the red card. We were by far the better team until then - work rate was excellent - and we didn’t need to see it out the way we did.  We needed fresh legs much sooner and to hold onto the ball much better. You could argue Wardrop should have been subbed sooner, but I didn’t think it was second yellow and need to see it again. At 2-1 the writing was on the wall, it was only a matter of time and that is the worst bit of it for me. It should not be so predictable, but it is. 

After Montrose game, it was good to see we can play some good stuff, after 10 mins we took control and have to say it's the best we have been for a long time, good signs for being hopeful that good results will come, still at least 3 boys out yesterday, a win next week and we will be back in the mix, 

20 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

After Montrose game, it was good to see we can play some good stuff, after 10 mins we took control and have to say it's the best we have been for a long time, good signs for being hopeful that good results will come, still at least 3 boys out yesterday, a win next week and we will be back in the mix, 

Falkirk next - they’ll either remain firmly in the back pocket but are probably due a result against us 🤣

2 hours ago, She who dares gins said:

I think for me the overwhelming feeling after yesterday was how depressingly predicable it was that we’d throw the 2-0 away after the red card. We were by far the better team until then - work rate was excellent - and we didn’t need to see it out the way we did.  We needed fresh legs much sooner and to hold onto the ball much better. You could argue Wardrop should have been subbed sooner, but I didn’t think it was second yellow and need to see it again. At 2-1 the writing was on the wall, it was only a matter of time and that is the worst bit of it for me. It should not be so predictable, but it is. 

Once we went 2 nil up, it had the feeling of a 4 mil canter or hanging on for a draw,   well we know what happened.. Maybe it was inevitable with all the ex players and coaches on show, 

we lack a true leader and organiser at the back, Fordyce doesn't really f it that role,  hopefully Kerr can step up when he is fully fit..

I still think we have a squad that can win this league,   34 games to go

12 minutes ago, She who dares gins said:

Falkirk next - they’ll either remain firmly in the back pocket but are probably due a result against us 🤣

In total control till sending off not convinced with Wardrop at all, the decision to sub Easton was a shocker as was taking Gal off leave McGill on when he was struggling. Then the panic set in Currie's intervention in helping the player up was good fun though imo he is not as good as the manager thinks.

Was thoroughly enjoying the game till the sending felt deflated after that as the game management to see the game out was poor at best ♦️

25 minutes ago, Eric the half a b said:

In total control till sending off not convinced with Wardrop at all, the decision to sub Easton was a shocker as was taking Gal off leave McGill on when he was struggling. Then the panic set in Currie's intervention in helping the player up was good fun though imo he is not as good as the manager thinks.

Was thoroughly enjoying the game till the sending felt deflated after that as the game management to see the game out was poor at best ♦️

I will through in a curve ball, is our goalkeeping situation good enough,  Currie decent with young lad Cantley not a threat to the no 1 jersey, do we need more competition in that area,

Over at alloa, Ferguson has binned Neil Parry to number 3 keeper at best and replaced him with good old David Hutton......     

Parry has been a top lower league keeper for many years and has unfinished business, should we look to strengthen this area..

9 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

Murray gets booked practically every game and has been sent off at least once before. It is amusing, and it’s about the only thing that is consistent with him. But discipline, or in this case indiscipline (J.O’Brien, 2021) comes from the top and it’s hardly an indicator that your team are going to be able to keep the head and see out a game when things go against them if your manager is going tonto every week. It’s no wonder we couldn’t see the game out. 

Once again I think our poor game management and poor use of substitutions has cost us. If Wardrop’s getting rinsed and he’s already on a booking why not take him off? There’s a number of players in that team yesterday who can play right-back or wing-back. Take him off and the game is possibly won based on that decision alone. And once we’re down to 10 men why take off Easton? The one thing you want to do when you’re down to 10 men is keep the ball and Easton is your best player at doing that. He’s also potentially got a moment of magic in his locker that wins you the game once Dumbarton get a goal back. Why not take off Frizzell, who does Easton’s job but not as well, or one of the forwards? It’s not as if you need both Gallagher and McGill on the pitch at that point. Bringing on Scott McGill to shore things up in the midfield made perfect sense. But then he plays him as some sort of winger/wide forward? Baffling. Get him in the middle and keep things as tight as possible. 

Red card or not we absolutely should be seeing that out from two goals ahead. It’s not like it’s difficult or uncommon a thing to do. 

1 hour ago, airdrieman said:

Aye, sometimes it works for the team that has a player sent off, and fires them up. Sadly not us, it's alright on hindsight but had manager taken Wardrop off, left Easton on, just maybe it would have been 3 point's, to me Easton is the type of player that can make something happen out of the blue, 

20 hours ago, Roger Thornhill said:

Chicken Currie- loved it when Max lifted the "injured" McLean up. Daft as a brush goal keeping at its best.

I did not see that yesterday as so much was going on elsewhere but on the lowlights, after he gets lifted up , he is then told by another Dumbarton player to lie back down-what I called "professionalism" elsewhere but maybe just cheating. Currie was maybe lucky that the officials were too busy dealing with the other stooshies.  Still think Wardrop was fouled by McLean on watching it back several times. The Ref only got to see it once but the squeals etc did it for Wardrop.  We should have managed the situation much better. 

16 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

I did not see that yesterday as so much was going on elsewhere but on the lowlights, after he gets lifted up , he is then told by another Dumbarton player to lie back down-what I called "professionalism" elsewhere but maybe just cheating. Currie was maybe lucky that the officials were too busy dealing with the other stooshies.  Still think Wardrop was fouled by McLean on watching it back several times. The Ref only got to see it once but the squeals etc did it for Wardrop.  We should have managed the situation much better. 

it is obvious now that the ref was conned, but the main blame lies with Wardrop for attempting the challenge when there was no real threat.

In terms of management I think 90% of us would have subbed him before it happened, maybe Murray will learn yesterdays events for future games. Dumbarton are no different from other sides in the league, they will look to exploit any percieved weakness in the opposition. I hope that Wardrop does not become too much of a focus by our future opponents.

With regard to weaknesses I'm sure other managers will have noticed how easy it was to score from a header at a set piece yesterday. Simple blocking by the Dumbarton players to allow a free header and a resulting goal....all too easy in my opinion. As the excellent commentators put it, 'I think Airdrie are going to be one of these sides who will have to score frequently as they look like a team that will concede'.

1 hour ago, dextermorgan said:

it is obvious now that the ref was conned, but the main blame lies with Wardrop for attempting the challenge when there was no real threat.

In terms of management I think 90% of us would have subbed him before it happened, maybe Murray will learn yesterdays events for future games. Dumbarton are no different from other sides in the league, they will look to exploit any percieved weakness in the opposition. I hope that Wardrop does not become too much of a focus by our future opponents.

With regard to weaknesses I'm sure other managers will have noticed how easy it was to score from a header at a set piece yesterday. Simple blocking by the Dumbarton players to allow a free header and a resulting goal....all too easy in my opinion. As the excellent commentators put it, 'I think Airdrie are going to be one of these sides who will have to score frequently as they look like a team that will concede'.

Are you serious? 😂 if he was conned for that then he was conned for the penalty (even moreso). I don't think we had to target Wardrop to be honest, it was a clumsy challenge but if we had put Maclean on the opposite side then Quitongo would have done the exact same thing. Our player was smart and got himself between the ball and the challenge.

The Airdrie team (and bench) seemed to be pretty angry all day yesterday and they lost their heads. That is what cost you guys the victory in my opinion.

1 hour ago, squeezeboxson said:

Are you serious? 😂 if he was conned for that then he was conned for the penalty (even moreso). I don't think we had to target Wardrop to be honest, it was a clumsy challenge but if we had put Maclean on the opposite side then Quitongo would have done the exact same thing. Our player was smart and got himself between the ball and the challenge.

The Airdrie team (and bench) seemed to be pretty angry all day yesterday and they lost their heads. That is what cost you guys the victory in my opinion.

So 'clumsy' that he never even touched him. Ref was conned. I'd go even further asto say that the rest of the Dumbarton players conduct in chasing the ref to get the second yellow was very unsportsman like. 

Screenshot_20210808_113634_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

26 minutes ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

So 'clumsy' that he never even touched him. Ref was conned. I'd go even further asto say that the rest of the Dumbarton players conduct in chasing the ref to get the second yellow was very unsportsman like. 

Screenshot_20210808_113634_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

Fairly selective screenshot that. Don't think it is as black and white as that would suggest though...

Yeah, the Dumbarton player got himself between the ball and challenge and 'bought' the foul. As I said, Wardrop should have known better. The ref should have seen it that way but didn't so the rest is history. As for the Airdrie penalty decision, exactly the same in my book, except that it obviously didn't impact the game as much in the end.

McLean cheated, by diving then rolling about. Simple. He even got up and forgot he was injured, before lying back down again. Proper small club mentality to endorse that and celebrate a draw like a win. I remember paul mcgrillen cheating to get a player sent off vs Falkirk years ago and his popularity plummeted with our support as a result. Penalty was a stonewaller, keeper ran out, made contact and impeded mcgill. 10 times out of 10 that is given.

Anyways, we were streets ahead of Dumbarton once we got going after a shaky start. They didnt look like scoring bar 1 chance in the first 5 min and our defence looked comfortable, bar Wardrop. Can say the players should have seen it out but Murray never helped them with his bizarre substitutions. Maybe Murray will learn if a defender is on a yellow and you have a like for like sub, then fucking use him! Onwards and upwards.

9 minutes ago, David_86 said:

McLean cheated, by diving then rolling about. Simple. He even got up and forgot he was injured, before lying back down again. Proper small club mentality to endorse that and celebrate a draw like a win. I remember paul mcgrillen cheating to get a player sent off vs Falkirk years ago and his popularity plummeted with our support as a result. Penalty was a stonewaller, keeper ran out, made contact and impeded mcgill. 10 times out of 10 that is given.

lol, Airdrie are the bastions of sportsmanship eh. A select few of you boys have lost your napper. 

Just as an aside - if there was no contact and McLean dived, why the f**k did Wardrop fall over?

Edited by The Moonster

Are you actually insinuating it wasnt an out and out dive? Why did McLean need reminded from a team mate his leg was sore and he needed to hit the deck again?

Obviously you lot will struggle this year going by that performance and you are desperate for any result you can get, no matter how it comes. Seems you have turned into a proper tinpot club.

Just now, David_86 said:

Are you actually insinuating it wasnt an out and out dive? Why did McLean need reminded from a team mate his leg was sore and he needed to hit the deck again?

Obviously you lot will struggle this year going by that performance and you are desperate for any result you can get, no matter how it comes. Seems you have turned into a proper tinpot club.

There's quite clearly contact between the two players, hence why both of them end up on the ground. 

Whatever makes you sleep better at night m8.

9 minutes ago, David_86 said:

Ooft 😆