The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

54 minutes ago, Stevo1968 said:

Kyle Connell joins east fife on loan, makes me wonder why we couldn’t bring him back..

Probably we have signed all the strikers we can at the moment, as Smith is more a worker and provider, we will struggle in that position, we shall see what today brings, 

23 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

Probably we have signed all the strikers we can at the moment, as Smith is more a worker and provider, we will struggle in that position, we shall see what today brings, 

Personally don't think we will struggle to score goals throughout the season, we have plenty Easton, Gallagher, Allan, McGill, Salim and Smith , is there a more talented forward line in the league.....  

3 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Personally don't think we will struggle to score goals throughout the season, we have plenty Easton, Gallagher, Allan, McGill, Salim and Smith , is there a more talented forward line in the league.....

I would think a lot of teams with more proven scorers in this league, 

2 hours ago, Eric the half a b said:

Hope so looking forward to the game today ♦️

That sure had the highs and lows of football firstly we played some excellent football in total control and should have been more in front that said and some may question some decisions the minute Easton went off the park you could see the end result coming ♦️

Just now, airdrieman said:

I missed the game but, even with ten men, poor result to not be able to see it out from 2-0 up. I thought Murray taking off Easton was a strange one. Given that the one thing you want to do when you go down to 10 men is keep the ball it’s odd he took off our player who’s the best at doing that and our most creative player to boot. Why not take off Frizzell or a forward instead? 

I liked him at Dumbarton but Wardrop has been a liability for us so far. Got done for the penalty against Annan, most of Motherwell’s few chances came down his side, got rinsed by a man old enough to be his da at Palmerston and he’s got himself sent off today. Not good enough. 

Much better performance up until the sending off by the sounds of things. Hopefully we can keep that sort of standard up and not lose the heads when something goes against us. 

17 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Couldn't believe when Murray subbed off Gal when McGill was clearly limping and struggling to keep up. We dominated when it was 11v11 and I thought McGill was superb so the result is really disappointing.

Said the same thing on the match thread. Hard to fault Murray today up to the subs given how well we played before the sending off but the subs didn’t help at all. Gallagher wasn’t really involved in the game but McGill was clearly done, a straight McGill for McGill swap to shore things up on the right hand side seemed the obvious option. Big game next week now, as although it’s early days no wins from our first three games would be very poor.

Given how poor we were last week this was at least an energetic performance until the Red card. At least we managed to pass the ball to each other and despite diamond tinted specs I thought we were coasting it till the Wardrop sending off. He or the Ref ( will need to see the highlights) but at the time I thought No 11 played for a foul)  let Dumbarton back into the game. Well seen Dumbarton is near the  submarine base with No 11's several dives.  We lost composure with that 1st goal and it was kinda panic from then on. I don't know who miskicked it across the box (Smith?) but it was gutting. Taking Easton off was bizarre as usual with IM and Scott McGill up front while we were being overrun in midfield!!! I thought we'd do well to get a draw during the week so I should grin and bear that last 10 minutes. As others have said it was a panto type game and the absence of a free cup of water did not help.  Good Curry mind you.

2 hours ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Given how poor we were last week this was at least an energetic performance until the Red card. At least we managed to pass the ball to each other and despite diamond tinted specs I thought we were coasting it till the Wardrop sending off. He or the Ref ( will need to see the highlights) but at the time I thought No 11 played for a foul)  let Dumbarton back into the game. Well seen Dumbarton is near the  submarine base with No 11's several dives.  We lost composure with that 1st goal and it was kinda panic from then on. I don't know who miskicked it across the box (Smith?) but it was gutting. Taking Easton off was bizarre as usual with IM and Scott McGill up front while we were being overrun in midfield!!! I thought we'd do well to get a draw during the week so I should grin and bear that last 10 minutes. As others have said it was a panto type game and the absence of a free cup of water did not help.  Good Curry mind you.

Chicken Currie- loved it when Max lifted the "injured" McLean up. Daft as a brush goal keeping at its best.

12 minutes ago, Roger Thornhill said:

Chicken Currie- loved it when Max lifted the "injured" McLean up. Daft as a brush goal keeping at its best.

Big David Hutton vibes when he did that, reminded me of Hutton getting booked for storming halfway up the park against Raith in the 4-3 game after Iain Davidson headbutted Grant Gallagher off the ball. Quite funny when it’s your team, though I can see why it upset Dumbarton fans.

I think for me the overwhelming feeling after yesterday was how depressingly predicable it was that we’d throw the 2-0 away after the red card. We were by far the better team until then - work rate was excellent - and we didn’t need to see it out the way we did.  We needed fresh legs much sooner and to hold onto the ball much better. You could argue Wardrop should have been subbed sooner, but I didn’t think it was second yellow and need to see it again. At 2-1 the writing was on the wall, it was only a matter of time and that is the worst bit of it for me. It should not be so predictable, but it is.