The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

48 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Match preview says no new injury concerns and hopeful of getting some bodies back so that could be Easton or it could be Frizzell, Lyons, Walker, Pyott etc. Would Easton start if fit? I've thought McCabe, Agnew and McDonald worked well together.

After last week we need Easton and McCabe playing, 

That’s the worst of Ian Murray’s Airdrie distilled in one half of football. 1-0 down at home, no midfield, soft as shite goal to lose, strikers dropping too deep to get the ball, long throws to no avail, long balls to nobody and very quickly ran out of ideas. Brutal stuff. 

13 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

This is dross, apart from the Motherwell game everything else has been dross so far, friendlies, cup games the lot. Murray is cluelessly inept when it comes to tactical side of the game.

There can be no argument over Murray, he is clueless and his team proves that, you get a wee sense that we could maybe be a team, but first game at home and aye only 1 game but  at the bottom already, get rid now, Murray should do the decent thing. And admit its beyond  him, 

1 minute ago, Jack Reed said:

There can be no argument over Murray, he is clueless and his team proves that, you get a wee sense that we could maybe be a team, but first game at home and aye only 1 game but  at the bottom already, get rid now, Murray should do the decent thing. And admit its beyond  him, 

As much as I hate to say this, maybe it would have been better of we didn't sign Kyle Turner last year as we would have been 5th and the tactical turnip would have been handed his p45.

6 minutes ago, G_H said:

title push already going to plan

Anyone going to defend this performance and result?

Nope.  Absolute fucking shite.  Going to be joint bottom with Clyde tonight.  This is an embarrassment. Murray needs to get this sorted QUICK or he should go.  No better than last week 

2 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Easton needed to be on at half time. Cannot for the life of me understand why you'd opt for the third striker when there's no creativity on the park. When Easton came on he done well and I do think that a midfield three of him, Agnew, and McCabe can be good but that was dire to watch.

Gutless,  clueless and hopeless bout summed it up imo.♦️

Murray just is not the man to take this club forward. The combination of team and manager will not improve on last season. Far from it. 

Today was beyond embarrassing. It was laughable. The players looked disinterested, made repeated schoolboy errors and looked clueless. 

I'd go as far as to say that 3 nil flattered us. 

Difficult to put into words just how bad that performance was today.  We will be nowhere near the top of the table unless we make significant signings between now and the end of the transfer window. 

Montrose were so much better than us all over the park today, and I don’t think they’ll be troubling the top of the league either which is quite scary.

F**k sake Airdrie.

Said it since the 1st and 2nd games in the Cumbernauld tournament that Agnew is a liability. He brings absolutely nothing to the team, like a statue in the middle. Plays the odd set piece and even then delivery is so so. He should be nowhere near the starting 11 as his legs are gone. East Fife fans were saying this last season and they are so right he can not run the length of himself.

Back 5 today were shocking and not good enough, front 2 don’t look like scoring. Murray needs to get it sorted pronto or he will be under pressure.

Clueless, inept, gutless, pedestrian, boring, insipid s#ite.
I really don’t know how that can improve. We play with no width, no pace in midfield (I’m 54 & two stone overweight but I think I could give McCabe and Agnew a run for their money in a sprint) and worst of all no heart. Do you think I’ll be able to get my season ticket refunded?

Man that was as bad as it’s ever been really. Pathetic and insipid in every way from the team and the management. The first two goals were laughably soft. Masson had the entire box and the rest of the first-half to place his shot in the net and for the second they waltzed past our midfield, McGill and the rest of the defence far too easily. Montrose cruised it. No midfield whatsoever, miles away from the forwards and defence and didn’t win a second ball the entire game. That really was the worst of Murrayball today. Go 1-0 down to a team at home, essentially zero shots on goal, long hopeless punts up the park, passing sideways and backwards with no urgency, plan or players running off each other and very quickly ran out of ideas after going a goal down. Murray’s substitutes were baffling once again also. Anyone could see we needed to bring Dylan Easton on and get a bit of creativity and impetus on the park. And he brings on Gabby McGill and Jordan Allan before him? The c**t can’t be serious. To nobody’s surprise we only saw a bit of urgency once Easton came on but it was far too late by then. Maybe it’s an excuse by I don’t think the 3-5-2 brings out the best in any of our team at all. Whether that be the defence, full/wing-backs, the midfield and the forwards. It’s a strange one as it’s obviously Murray’s preferred formation but I don’t think he’s ever made it work for us. It’s only the first game of the season so fair enough in that regard but that very clearly didn’t work today and he needs to change and/or improve things or else it’s going to be a real slog of a season. 

Also, New Broomfield must be the easiest ground to win at the UK. Pathetic how easy it is to win there. 

Edited by airdrieman

Well that couldn’t have went much worse, could it? We never looked up to it and as soon as Montrose got their first goal they controlled the game. You could tell that was a really settled Montrose team, only one new signing I think and most of those guys have been there for years. They’re probably the team I’m least confident about us playing just because every time we do they’re so well organised, everyone knows their roles and they have a bit of quality too. Just a much better team than us today. 

Today had a some classic Ian Murray issues. The midfield were anonymous in the first half, McCabe did ok at times but Agnew and Scott McGill were barely involved. Bringing Easton on at half time seemed the obvious change and I still can’t understand his thinking behind bringing on Gabby McGill instead. I’m not sure how a front three of Gallagher, McGill and Kouider-Aissa is meant to work and to be honest I’m not sure Murray did either, just another instance of him lumping strikers on without much of a thought process behind it. To then bring Jordan Allan on when Kouider-Aissa was injured was baffling, as while he has his uses Easton or even Frizzell seemed a much better option to provide some creativity. To be honest we seemed to run of ideas pretty quickly. Who would have thought launching high balls at Sean Dillon wouldn’t work?

It’s really frustrating to lose another home game on the opening day, especially in that manner. The Annan game was quite poor but I was pretty happy with our performance against Queen’s Park, especially given the injuries we had. Obviously the Motherwell game was outstanding but rather than build on that we’ve been nowhere near that level since then. I hoped last weeks defeat would be a bit of a wake up call but obviously not going by today. Massive improvement needed for next week.