The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

12 minutes ago, thediamonddude said:

I wouldn’t say no to another CM, but I do think it’s a bit unlikely as things stand.

I get what you’re saying re: not classing Easton as a midfielder, but with the system we’ve been playing and, as I’ve said before, see us playing all season given we seem to have recruited with that in mind, I think we have to class him as a midfielder.

There’s no doubt in my mind we’ll be 3-5-2 when he comes back - that’s how we lined up with him in the side against Annan after all.

I’d disagree on Agnew though - whilst he’s not the player of 2 or 3 years ago, I think he still looks really composed and has plenty to offer alongside someone like McCabe, who can do the leg work.

All in, we’ll be playing with a midfield 3 most weeks - 2 ‘sitting’ and 1 more advanced. Collectively, you’ve got 6 players to cover those 3 spots, so we’d be looking at 1 more (max).

We've got to play to Easton's strength's as he looks to be our most creative player and I don't see playing him in a three in midfield would work even if he is the advanced one. We won't win the ball much with Agnew, McCabe & Easton in there. Scott McGill, admittedly not good yesterday, looks to be the most energetic. Perhaps we need to drop the 3-5-2 as i don't see much threat in the wide positions

20 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

Even ally Roy found it easy to score against us, we desperately need a striker that can take a chance  when he gets it, although service to forwards yesterday was poor, there was chances but as usual over the bar, past the post , strikes like against  Motherwell will be few and far between, Wallace  that has left East fife could help, 

Don't think there's any chance of another striker coming in as we already have too many in my book McGill, Aissa, Allan, Gallagher & Pyott. Aissa has scored a lot of headed goals and i would be more worried about the supply.

2 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Don't think there's any chance of another striker coming in as we already have too many in my book McGill, Aissa, Allan, Gallagher & Pyott. Aissa has scored a lot of headed goals and i would be more worried about the supply.

Agree, if anything I would hope and expect Pyott when fit to be loaned out to see if he is any good,  hardly played in 2_seasons.....  In my opinion we have a strike force who could get 30 goals between them and Easton who could get double figures, time for them to step up ...

Murray's teams are easy to play against when we go a goal down,  teams sit deep and hit on the counter against a spread out 3 man defence as yesterday showed in the second half,    we have still to play our strongest team, the back 3 and 2 full backs pick themselves, the 2 full backs are the problem,  Rico plays very high normally which forces the defence to shift across, which leaves Wardrop open with plenty space to attack him,  If Rico shows a bit more awareness and plays 10 yards deeper then it should sort itself out...

The position I still think we need is a right winger not necessarily a starter an option off the bench (Scally trialist ex forfar) would be ideal for this position..

15 minutes ago, Airdrie76 said:

Thomas Robert on trial at Salford City now according to the Evening Times.

From Celtic to Burnley to Salford :lol: 

Obviously either way it’s a big step up from Airdrie but it does feel like all the agent talk isn’t really working. He was a joy to watch at times last season, his goals against Cove and Forfar were brilliant and he had some nice moments in other games. I think he has potential, there’s clearly ability there, but he never really controlled a game or performed consistently. There’s the caveats that we play a style that isn’t really suited to him and that he’s a young guy moving to a new country but I think Salford is definitely closer to his level than Celtic or Burnley.

While I hope he gets his move and agree Salford is a more likely level, I really hope he isn't being paid by the club while swanning about from trial to trial and missing all of the league cup games and now presumably the start of the season proper.

Edited by cb_diamond

Salford still well out of our pay grade in League 2.

Never seen him ' in the flesh' so to speak, but does seem to  struggle to impose himself over the full game. There are plenty who offer a few promising flashes.

I see the ticket prices for this season have been confirmed

ADULT - £18
CONCESSION (Over 65s) - £13
CONCESSION (16-18 / students / unemployed / disabled) - £11
CHILD (Under 16) - £7

I suspected they would increase with the increase in season ticket costs but that’s a lot of money for League One games. Splitting over 65 and other concessions doesn’t really make too much sense to me either.

53 minutes ago, Mr November said:

I see the ticket prices for this season have been confirmed

ADULT - £18
CONCESSION (Over 65s) - £13
CONCESSION (16-18 / students / unemployed / disabled) - £11
CHILD (Under 16) - £7

I suspected they would increase with the increase in season ticket costs but that’s a lot of money for League One games. Splitting over 65 and other concessions doesn’t really make too much sense to me either.

I'm sorry but that's ridiculous for an adult ticket in the 3rd tier of Scottish football. 

If we don't start the season well, I can see that price hike being enough to put people off attending. 

I will certainly be picking and choosing games to attend rather than try to go to them all as I have done in previous seasons.

Edited by Glenmavis Diamond

12 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

While I hope he gets his move and agree Salford is a more likely level, I really hope he isn't being paid by the club while swanning about from trial to trial and missing all of the league cup games and now presumably the start of the season proper.

He's also not had a proper preseason, so how's his fitness going to be? Even if he came back to us, it'd take weeks to catch up with the rest of the squad. 

14 minutes ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

I'm sorry but that's ridiculous for an adult ticket in the 3rd tier of Scottish football. 

If we don't start the season well, I can see that price hike being enough to put people off attending. 

I will certainly be picking and choosing games to attend rather than try to go to them all as I have done in previous seasons.

very much this.

I didn't notice a parent and child option for the tickets either which was disappointing.  I'll definitely make the first few home games, but if the performances are uninspiring, i'll no doubt miss a few.

He's also not had a proper preseason, so how's his fitness going to be? Even if he came back to us, it'd take weeks to catch up with the rest of the squad. 

I recall seeing a photo somewhere of our players back at pre season and Robert was amongst them, can't be arsed looking for it.

He's since then been training with Burnley and now Salford so don't imagine lack of training or fitness is going to be an issue if he's back. Maybe he'll have suffered from not getting to know the new signings but that's not going to be a problem when he's on the bench.

2 hours ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:

I recall seeing a photo somewhere of our players back at pre season and Robert was amongst them, can't be arsed looking for it.

He's since then been training with Burnley and now Salford so don't imagine lack of training or fitness is going to be an issue if he's back. Maybe he'll have suffered from not getting to know the new signings but that's not going to be a problem when he's on the bench.

Big money club Salford, 

1 hour ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

just as long as they send some of that money up here, they can fire on and take wee Tam.

I don't think we're any more short on cash than probably half the league, which makes some of the decisions being made a bit more bizarre (imo of course)

Absolute agreement on both of these posts. I'm at the stage where Robert going fills me more with relief than anything, as long as we get some money for him. 

just as long as they send some of that money up here, they can fire on and take wee Tam.

We won't get much, if anything, for Robert. I am pretty sure there's some sort of strange goings on in that respect, where the agent and others may get the lions share of any fee. Thus why he's being pimped out and constant rumours about clubs wanting to sign him. Most of which turn out to be garbage.