The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

1 hour ago, Chapelhall chap said:

The guy behind me today said he'd rarely seen Gal hit a good penalty and so it proved. I don't know if you mean Currie in penalty shoot outs but I think (hope) he saved a penalty against Falkirk at home last season?  The rest of your post I've already greenied! 

Ah yes I forgot about that one! Which is strange as that was one of the funnier moments of last season. 

As an aside, #MyTop5Players is trending on twitter. Your top 5 favourite players for your team in your lifetime. Not the best players, your favourite players. Mine:

John Martin
Owen Coyle
Paul Harvey
Paddy Connolly
Antonio Calderón

1 hour ago, el Gringo said:

As an aside, #MyTop5Players is trending on twitter. Your top 5 favourite players for your team in your lifetime. Not the best players, your favourite players. Mine:

John Martin
Owen Coyle
Paul Harvey
Paddy Connolly
Antonio Calderón

John Martin

Dave McCabe

Owen Coyle

Walter Kidd

Justin Fashanu

5 hours ago, Chapelhall chap said:

BBC report says 233 and I have no way of disagreeing, unless that was the new formation we were playing? 

Certainly not 500, which is a worrying signnof the apathy kicking in. Today's performance and result will do little to encourage more people to come to the next home game. 

1 hour ago, el Gringo said:

John Martin
Owen Coyle
Paul Harvey
Paddy Connolly
Antonio Calderón

Great idea! 

Owen Coyle 
Willie McLaren
Paul Lovering 
Alan Gow
Jerome Varielle 

12 hours ago, el Gringo said:

John Martin
Owen Coyle
Paul Harvey
Paddy Connolly
Antonio Calderón

Jerome Vareille
Alan Gow
Bryan Prunty
Neil McGowan
Willie McLaren

1 minute ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

I thought Quitongo done okay overall, a lot of effort and energy from him certainly, but I feel like that 352 makes it seem like we're playing a man down at the moment. I really want us to bring in some wide players as the full backs just aren't suited to being the main threat out wide.

Yeah based on the three games so far the lack of attacking threat from the wing backs is our biggest issue. As you day, it’s not for a lack of effort, Wardrop and Quitongo do get up and down the park and look to support defence and attack but you can tell both are full backs rather than wing backs. I think you can get away with one of them but both leaves you a bit blunt in the final third.

I think my biggest concern yesterday was the lack of options to change it. I felt we’d have been better moving to a back four during the second half with some outright wingers coming on but we just don’t have anybody like that. I can’t say I was too fussed to see him go but someone like Thomson was a good option from the bench to bring on to try and add some pace and directness to our attack. We‘re not going to get anyone particularly great if we’re not starting wingers every week but someone in that mould from the bench is definitely needed.

14 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Yeah based on the three games so far the lack of attacking threat from the wing backs is our biggest issue. As you day, it’s not for a lack of effort, Wardrop and Quitongo do get up and down the park and look to support defence and attack but you can tell both are full backs rather than wing backs. I think you can get away with one of them but both leaves you a bit blunt in the final third.

I think my biggest concern yesterday was the lack of options to change it. I felt we’d have been better moving to a back four during the second half with some outright wingers coming on but we just don’t have anybody like that. I can’t say I was too fussed to see him go but someone like Thomson was a good option from the bench to bring on to try and add some pace and directness to our attack. We‘re not going to get anyone particularly great if we’re not starting wingers every week but someone in that mould from the bench is definitely needed.

I'm amazed that you're playing them as wing-backs. They are both solid as defensive full-backs, but Sam managed one goal and 0 assists in 57 games for us. And Rico didn't register a single goal or assist in 56 games. They'll both get up and down the park, and they'll put crosses in. But that's not where their qualities are. And if you're going to be reliant on them for service into the strikers then that's going to be an issue imo.

Yeah I’m not convinced the 3-5-2 is actually our best set-up although you can’t really make a fair judgement on it, or any of the players, yet after only one largely warm-up game. It’s obviously Murray’s preferred formation but we’ve used it and had to ditch it before so it would be a bit of a concern if he now can’t make it work with what is his own group of players. But I like I say there’s still plenty of time to work on things and get it right. Definitely need a defensive midfielder to let McCabe play higher up the park IMO and another winger or attacking midfielder to give us options there as, with Frizzell injured and no Robert, our lack of options there was pretty stark once Easton went off. 

2 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I'm amazed that you're playing them as wing-backs. They are both solid as defensive full-backs, but Sam managed one goal and 0 assists in 57 games for us. And Rico didn't register a single goal or assist in 56 games. They'll both get up and down the park, and they'll put crosses in. But that's not where their qualities are. And if you're going to be reliant on them for service into the strikers then that's going to be an issue imo.

It’s strange, as Murray commented on Dumbarton’s strong defensive unit when we signed them, so I had assumed we’d be going with a back four until the subsequent signings made it pretty clear we’re signing players with a 3-5-2 in mind. We looked alright going forward when Easton was playing yesterday but seemed to run out of ideas worryingly quickly once he went off. Gallagher thrives on balls into the box and being in the right place at the right time, while Kouider-Aissa is strong in the air. Having two wings backs who aren’t the best going forward and don’t offer too much creativity isn’t ideal for getting them good service.

48 minutes ago, Mr November said:

It’s strange, as Murray commented on Dumbarton’s strong defensive unit when we signed them, so I had assumed we’d be going with a back four until the subsequent signings made it pretty clear we’re signing players with a 3-5-2 in mind. We looked alright going forward when Easton was playing yesterday but seemed to run out of ideas worryingly quickly once he went off. Gallagher thrives on balls into the box and being in the right place at the right time, while Kouider-Aissa is strong in the air. Having two wings backs who aren’t the best going forward and don’t offer too much creativity isn’t ideal for getting them good service.

Not surprise at all at that, been same for the last 2 years, then some team sign a player from us and he starts to play OK, aye he is playing in his strongest and preferred position, 

19 hours ago, el Gringo said:

John Martin
Owen Coyle
Paul Harvey
Paddy Connolly
Antonio Calderón

As I don't do twitter but this is a good idea, over 60 years it is not easy but here goes:

Owen Coyle

Paul Jonquin

John Martin

Alan Lawrence

Willie McLaren.

#mytop5players Just had a go at this on twitter. How do you break this down to just 5??

Owen Coyle
Steve Gray
Johnny Martin
Sandy Clark
Willie McGuire
Jim Rodger
Tom Black
Antonio Calderon
David Fernandez
Jesus San Juan
Willie McLaren
Paul Harvey