The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

1 hour ago, Kenny_m said:

Ayr Diamond spot on as usual. (He did correct Lacy was actually Lyons in a later post)

That leaves from the remaining trialists.....

Okafor 

Scally

McGill

O Connor

Taylor

I wonder if anymore will be signed from that group...  Personally McGill the ex Dunfertmline forward could be worth a punt......   Daniel Scally is a very talented player knocked back a deal with For far last week,  could be Roberts replacement..

11 hours ago, Passionate said:

Okafor 

Scally

McGill

O Connor

Taylor

I wonder if anymore will be signed from that group...  Personally McGill the ex Dunfertmline forward could be worth a punt......   Daniel Scally is a very talented player knocked back a deal with For far last week,  could be Roberts replacement..

I have a pars work colleague who tells me McGill is completely useless.

I thought O'Connor looked promising but our priorities are elsewhere.

16 hours ago, Mr November said:

Not convinced by him from what I saw on Sunday but I doubt he’ll start too often.

The 2021/22 Harlain Mbayo.

I'm very, very uninspired so far this preseason.  Absolutely nothing that gets the juices flowing wondering if this ex leeds boy will be as excellent as the last 2 (stokes, McKay) or waiting with anticipation whether it will be McGill or Scally the next big name announced.

Meh.

16 hours ago, She who dares gins said:

The fountain pen of underwhelmence 🤣🤣🤣

Yeah I liked that too. I think there's a slight sense of delusion from within that we have this great squad. I just don't see it yet. Its decent, but not great. Could it get us to the play offs again? Yes. Could it win the league? Absolutely not. 

Think we need one or two overwhelming signings before that can be said. 

14 hours ago, Passionate said:

Okafor 

Scally

McGill

O Connor

Taylor

I have a strange feeling that Scally be signed. 

17 hours ago, Passionate said:

What position and who would you sign....

My thinking I would imagine lines up with most other folks that we are almost comically light up front and throwing money at a decent striker rather than a bunch of inexperienced and injury ravaged teenagers seems on paper like an obvious move. We must be able to operate near the very top of the part time market both in wages and desirability. But that looks like a forlorn hope at this point as Murray has clearly set his stall out. 

It also looks like a three at the back situation which should really necessitate another good, defensive minded midfielder. Again I would rather a much bigger chunk of change went on this rather than 2 or 3 "utility but not actually utility" players.

Look at the difference one, experienced, high quality player made last season after the restart as Turner pretty much singlehandedly dragged us to 2nd.

Edited by cb_diamond

2 hours ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

Yeah I liked that too. I think there's a slight sense of delusion from within that we have this great squad. I just don't see it yet. Its decent, but not great. Could it get us to the play offs again? Yes. Could it win the league? Absolutely not. 

Think we need one or two overwhelming signings before that can be said. 

Absolutely spot on with everything here 👏👏

19 hours ago, Passionate said:

Okafor 

Scally

McGill

O Connor

Taylor

Murray seemed keen to offer O’Connor a deal at the start of this week but this was before Lyons was signed. Having O’Connor on top of Lyons, Kerr, Fordyce and Watson seems excessive. By the sounds of things on here Taylor didn’t make much of an impression (and I’m not sure we need another general/neat and tidy centre mid anyway) and Okafor won’t be back. McGill could be worth a punt. Having a forward who can actually play as a target man should, in theory anyway, make us more effective when we play more direct. I’m not sure he’ll add much in the way of goals though which is what we so glaringly need. Scally I don’t remember much about at all from his time at Forfar or the Rovers but that doesn’t mean he’s a bad player. I do think we could do with another wide player as apart from the full/wing-backs we only have Frizzell and Robert as natural wide players and, Robert will presumably be away. At some point during the season I’m sure we’ll play 4 at the back and wingers so a winger could be handy. I’m pretty meh on if that player should be Scally though. Ayr Diamond mentioned Callum Smith on here… He’d be an excellent signing and fill a gap upfront and out wide nicely IMO. Scally would certainly be below Smith and Robert in the pecking order for me TBH. 

In defence of Luke Lyons, bear in mind that Josh Kerr vastly struggled when he first came into the side. Now he’s developed into one of the best and most composed centre-halves in the league. At worst he’ll be a back-up defender who’ll barely play and at best he’ll develop into a fine young player. No use in judging him until he’s playing in a proper game with stakes and intensity. 

Clearly we’re in desperate need for another striker or two however. TBH at this stage the best of the free agents will be gone so we have to hope we can find another gem like Kyle Connell on loan or someone who’s somehow slipped the radar of other clubs. It’s looking doubtful we’ll have another striker in for Saturday but we’ve still got the best part of a month before it really matters and the league starts. We do need something sorted for then though. 

4 hours ago, Mr November said:

Not sure if anyone else watched this, just your standard new players content but I guess it’s a nice extra to have. The highlight is Ian Murray scoring two free kicks in the background and running off doing an aeroplane.

You never really learn anything new from these things but they’re a nice touch. My main takeaway points from it are actually RE Jay Cantley: 

1) him answering the question “what will you bring to the team?” with “I’m a nice guy off the park”was funny in it’s unintentional clairvoyance. 

2) Him wearing the #10 training top made me feel a little sick. 

I used the club’s online ticketing platform today for the Annan game and it all worked seamlessly. Hopefully we’ll be able to buy season tickets soon 😂 and we can get a decent crowd in for the Motherwell game. 

There's probably still a few players kicking about without a club that fit the bill If anyone's bored:

Scottish Premiership
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57459445

Championship
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57681998

Scottish League 1 (though the thread in this forum is better tbh):
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57686667

Scottish League 2
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57686669

PFA player availability list
https://pfascotland.co.uk/player-availability-list/

England
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/57319431

Conference
https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/conference-national/transfers/wettbewerb/CNAT

and of course, theres google for the rest of the world :)

Edited by G_H

31 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

A striker who can hold the ball up AND score? Sign him up. 

Saw him quite a few times at Kilsyth Rangers,  fantastic goalscorer at that level,  42 goals circa in the season before he went senior,   bounced about a few clubs Queens Park, Livi, Partick possibly as good as there is around on the striker front that's not signed up.

Other than Clyde and Cove, it seems like every team in this league could do with a quality striker. I’m both surprised and impressed that we’ve managed to sign someone who surely would have had interest from other clubs at this level. He seemed to struggle a bit at Thistle last season, I don’t think he played that often for whatever reason, but on paper this is certainly a much better signing than I expected for a striker.