The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

8 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Seems to me that the lack of business in the last few weeks might be down to us wanting a fee for Robert before completing the squad, and now that competitive games are just around the corner we've panicked and brought in several trialists because our squad is too thin.

This is a distinct possibility, however, the lack of forethought if it is the case is quite staggering. The only possible positive is that even the most ardent happy clapper will go into this season with less lofty, more realistic ambitions than usual. It would be a stunner if we were anywhere near the top of the table come the end of the season with this squad. I absolute hope they prove me wrong. I can't see it happening.

21 hours ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

Who would you say is our best signing so far? Easton for me and he does look good, but is he enough? The rest of the signings so far are pretty meh. Agnew would've been great 3 or more years ago but his best years are behind him now.

Don't get me wrong from what I seen of Easton in the playoffs he looked good but for me it's McCabe.

He captained Queen of the South last season. Granted he has never lived up to the hype around him as a youngster when he was being talked about as the future captain of Rangers & Scotland but he's got more than enough about him to do it in this division again.

I also think Sam Wardrop is going to surprise a few people. It was a bad injury he picked up at Dundee Utd, he's had to try and come back from that cruciate injury then contend with stop start seasons through the pandemic. If he can get a run of games under his belt I think he could be a real player for us.

I like many others have reservations about our chances of promotion this coming season. The squad so far looks pretty good in my opinion with one exception. The lack of players who can put the ball in the net. Last season showed us that even with a fairly average squad we could get to the playoffs. What really sealed it for Partick however was the presence of Graham and Tiffoney, height and pace up front. We will not be serious contenders until we address the lack of presence in our forward positions. The trialists on show over the weekend did not fill us with any hope that this was going to be addressed however, but like every other supporter we live on hope and expectation.

49 minutes ago, dextermorgan said:

I like many others have reservations about our chances of promotion this coming season. The squad so far looks pretty good in my opinion with one exception. The lack of players who can put the ball in the net. Last season showed us that even with a fairly average squad we could get to the playoffs. What really sealed it for Partick however was the presence of Graham and Tiffoney, height and pace up front. We will not be serious contenders until we address the lack of presence in our forward positions. The trialists on show over the weekend did not fill us with any hope that this was going to be addressed however, but like every other supporter we live on hope and expectation.

The signing of Turner totally transformed our season and should be a lesson learned in what quality achieves. I would rather we signed 2 players on £800 per week rather than 4 at £400 per week and take the chance with a smaller squad.

There's 2 wages gone today that could have been spent on actual footballers with first team experience, preferably ones that didnt get scudded 3-0 by a Clyde & Clyde wannabe XI. Hopefully the fountain pen of underwhelmence doesn't return today for a hat trick.

Edited by G_H

6 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

The signing of Turner totally transformed our season and should be a lesson learned in what quality achieves. I would rather we signed 2 players on £800 per week rather than 4 at £400 per week and take the chance with a smaller squad.

I agree with this train of thought. It's a bit of a risk but one that sometimes needed.

10 minutes ago, G_H said:

There's 2 wages gone today that could have been spent on actual footballers with first team experience, preferably ones that didnt get scudded 3-0 by a Clyde & Clyde wannabe XI. Hopefully the fountain pen of underwhelmence doesn't return today for a hat trick.

Agree wholeheartedly, spend both wages on one decent, experienced player.

Edited by cb_diamond

7 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Another centre back! Aren't you ready covered in that position with Fordyce, Kerr and Watson?

We seem to be going with a back three this season so we did need some cover. All of our centre backs are predominantly right sided too so having someone who seems to be more naturally left sided is probably good too. Not convinced by him from what I saw on Sunday but I doubt he’ll start too often.

11 minutes ago, G_H said:

The fountain pen of underwhelmence 🤣🤣🤣

Edited by She who dares gins

6 minutes ago, Mr November said:

We seem to be going with a back three this season so we did need some cover. All of our centre backs are predominantly right sided too so having someone who seems to be more naturally left sided is probably good too. Not convinced by him from what I saw on Sunday but I doubt he’ll start too often.

That makes more sense. Defensively on paper you look very capable.

Annoying when you want a striker or stellar signing and get what could be a squad filler or bit part player. Hopeful more to come though

I was ready to complain about them asking for more money but looks like this is just a bonus for season ticket holders/Club 1924 members. I’m not sure they’ll make much money out of this, surely anyone bothered enough to pay £5.99 a month for this already has a season ticket or is in Club 1924? I suppose it might be good for people living outside Scotland to be able to watch games.

On 05/07/2021 at 00:23, Ayr Diamond said:

I think McGill is worth a punt he played well when he came on, Lacy and McDonald have areed to sign, as for O'Connor he done ok he would need to up his game to get a deal as for the rest i dont think they'll be asked back .

Ayr Diamond spot on as usual. (He did correct Lacy was actually Lyons in a later post)