The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

28 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Yeah number 2 is Harris O’Connor.

A centre-back who can also play left-back according to TransferMarkt (so he’s probably a striker). Was previously on the books at Rangers and the played on loan at Brechin last season apparently. 

1 minute ago, airdrieman said:

A centre-back who can also play left-back according to TransferMarkt (so he’s probably a striker). Was previously on the books at Rangers and the played on loan at Brechin last season apparently. 

Given that he's playing on the right of the back 3 I'd say this is maybe one of those times when transfermarkt is unreliable. He's looked decent enough in my opinion but the trialist on the other side of the defence was a bit at fault for the goal. Midfield's been nonexistent.

Just now, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Given that he's playing on the right of the back 3 I'd say this is maybe one of those times when transfermarkt is unreliable. He's looked decent enough in my opinion but the trialist on the other side of the defence was a bit at fault for the goal. Midfield's been nonexistent.

O’Connor’s done ok building play from the back but poor defensively, he’s needed a lot of talking to from Currie and Fordyce. As you say, the other centre back was at fault for the first goal, he stopped paying attention to the game as he was waiting for the referee to make a decision which never came. 

Clyde are strolling this so far, Gomis has been outstanding. Our midfield is non-existant, Agnew’s done ok but Ritchie is all over the place and McDonald hasn’t got into the game yet. Not too bothered as I’d like to think we wouldn’t be playing that midfield three too often but good to get these issues out the way early on. The midfield being so poor has led to Currie launching a lot of long balls which he didn’t really do yesterday. Allan’s worked hard and created one good chance for himself but he’s never going to win high balls. The other striker has had some decent touches but he hasn’t had much to work with.

Patiently waiting for the first Murray out shout now.

1 minute ago, airdrieman said:

I’m looking forward to the over-reactions already. Will pour myself a cold one before looking at the Facebook group at full-time. 

You may well joke, it's only a friendly  but do you see the makings of a team, we usually managed a few goals against clyde, 

You may well joke, it's only a friendly  but do you see the makings of a team, we usually managed a few goals against clyde, 
Considering this is a team that is half made up of trialists or players who aren't in the starting 11 I'm not gonna be panicking sorry.
We actually played decent football yesterday when we played with our first team players so I'm not worried about the b team and some trialists being poor against a Clyde first 11 in a friendly no.

8 minutes ago, NorthernDiamond said:

Considering this is a team that is half made up of trialists or players who aren't in the starting 11 I'm not gonna be panicking sorry.
We actually played decent football yesterday when we played with our first team players so I'm not worried about the b team and some trialists being poor against a Clyde first 11 in a friendly no.

Lowland league team  yesterday, aye got the player on now that could make a difference, 

7 minutes ago, G_H said:

didnt watch the game, but aparrently we started with the following 4 trialists: Harris O'Connor, Luke Lyons, Matthew McDonald and Daniel Scally

Doesnt mention the names of any of the subs

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/clyde-3-airdrie-0-bully-24457018

1 minute ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Based on the trialists I think it's clear that we're still looking to bring in players in every position pretty much. If I recall correctly we've seen two trialists in defence, two in midfield and three up front?

Yeah we’ve had Harris O’Connor and Luke Lyons at centre back today, with Lyons also coming on yesterday. O’Connor played on the right, Lyons on the left. Matthew McDonald started in midfield today with another midfielder coming on as a sub. We had a trialist striker yesterday who came on again today, as well as Daniel Scally who played the first half and a second half sub (who I think was called Cammy). McDonald did fine when he wasn’t alongside Ritchie, the others didn’t really do too much though. It makes sense we have players in for all these positions, if we’re playing a back three we need another centre back as cover, we definitely need another striker and I’m not against us signing another midfielder either, though I’d prefer someone who can play out wide to give us another option. 

Scally is an interesting one. Turned down a new deal at Forfar so he obviously fancies his chances of a deal somewhere. He had some decent touches but I don’t think he’s a striker nevermind someone suited to dealing with long punts up the park. Could be a decent option for a wide player/attacking midfielder in place of Robert but not the striker we need.

3 hours ago, Jack Reed said:

You can’t read anything into friendlies at all. They’re pointless for gauging how you’re team is going to do in the season because they never have any bearing on or reflect how the season will go. I couldn’t tell you what the results of any of our friendlies last season were and I watched all of them. The only purpose of them is for the players to get a bit of match fitness, have  a look at some trialists and ideally have a bit of day out at a ground you don’t usually go to (which we haven’t done this season obviously). But the actual results and performance are largely irrelevant. 

1 hour ago, G_H said:

didnt watch the game, but aparrently we started with the following 4 trialists: Harris O'Connor, Luke Lyons, Matthew McDonald and Daniel Scally

Doesnt mention the names of any of the subs

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/clyde-3-airdrie-0-bully-24457018

Hard to judge with all the subs and the diabolical stream but O'Connor (right sided centre back) looked to have ability but an area of the team that would not be priority. Lyons & McDonald not sure of and Scally would be a definite no as another lightweight forward is not what we need. The 1st sub striker was a big guy but again not sure of but the 2nd sub striker (I believe the commentator called him Miracle Okpoah?) who started yesterday would be an emphatic no.

Dean Ritchie, why?

The 1st sub striker was a big guy but again not sure of but the 2nd sub striker (I believe the commentator called him Miracle Okpoah?) who started yesterday would be an emphatic no.

Miracle Okafor.

My opinion was that the No.15 who came on at half time today was overall the better of the three trialist forwards.

52 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

Jesus. Trialist based team or not, that was truly grim. Surely can't be alone in not wanting a single person from this weekend to be given a deal?

O'Connor and McDonald looked fine to me but I was unimpressed with the rest, particularly the left sided defender. Hard to judge the midfielder that came on late and hardly got any minutes.