The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

12 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

Living off his dad's name like many other footballers have done before him. Fair play to yous lot for hyping him up enough in the media to get your club a nice wee payday.

A young lad with a lot of talent, just not suited to 3rd tier Scottish football, best of luck to him, he was here to be in the shop window and it has worked for him, 

38 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

A young lad with a lot of talent, just not suited to 3rd tier Scottish football, best of luck to him, he was here to be in the shop window and it has worked for him, 

That much talent he struggled to start every game for Airdrie in the 3rd tier of Scottish football.

Been thinking about what we still need over the past few days and, I reckon we’re probably 4 players off of our final squad - a CB, CM, ST. And before you say anything, yes I can count, I’m just assuming McDonald will be signing. I’m also assuming Robert will be gone.

My thinking is based on us lining up 3-5-2/5-3-2 for the season, so we’ve currently got…

Goalkeepers - Currie, Cantley

Centre Backs - Fordyce, Kerr, Watson (Walker can also cover there)

Wing backs - Wardrop, Quitongo, Walker, McDonald (Fordyce, Kerr and Watson could also cover there if absolutely necessary)

Centre Mids - Agnew, McCabe, Ritchie (McDonald and Kerr can also cover there)

Attacking Mids - Easton, Frizzell

Strikers - Gallagher, Allen, Pyott

In an ideal world, I’d like another striker on top of what I note above, but I just can’t see us running with 5 of them.

Being realistic, another centre back give us cover if one of the three is out, likewise at centre mid, as I wouldn’t want us relying on Ritchie alone and then a decent striker (if we can find one) to partner Gallagher.

McDonald gives you a bit of cover in various areas, so his signing would make sense.

If that all comes to pass, it’s a 20-man squad, which I’d be fine with - we had way too many wasted wages last year and as long as the 3 additions are of a good quality, I think we’re looking decent.

Edited by thediamonddude

1 hour ago, FFC 1876 said:

That much talent he struggled to start every game for Airdrie in the 3rd tier of Scottish football.

Sometimes it's not all down to ability attitude at training or in dressing room  maybe thought he  was better than others, having said that some of the. Team selections were strange, in my opinion anyway, 

1 hour ago, thediamonddude said:

Been thinking about what we still need over the past few days and, I reckon we’re probably 4 players off of our final squad - a CB, CM, ST. And before you say anything, yes I can count, I’m just assuming MacDonald will be signing. I’m also assuming Robert will be gone.

My thinking is based on us lining up 3-5-2/5-3-2 for the season, so we’ve currently got…

Wing backs - Wardrop, Quitongo, Walker, MacDonald (Fordyce, Kerr and Watson could also cover there if absolutely necessary)

Centre Mids - Agnew, McCabe, Ritchie (MacDonald and Kerr can also cover there)

In an ideal world, I’d like another striker on top of what I note above, but I just can’t see us running with 5 of them.

Being realistic, another centre back give us cover if one of the three is out, likewise at centre mid, as I wouldn’t want us relying on Ritchie alone and then a decent striker (if we can find one) to partner Gallagher.

MacDonald gives you a bit of cover in various areas, so his signing would make sense.

If that all comes to pass, it’s a 20-man squad, which I’d be fine with - we had way too many wasted wages last year and as long as the 3 additions are of a good quality, I think we’re looking decent.

Pretty much my thoughts too. I try not to read too much into friendlies but I think we'll know a bit more after this weekend's games in terms of how we'll set up this season. Murray made a comment about going for quality over quantity in the Dylan Easton signing news so I think we'll be going with a smaller 20/21 man squad. It makes sense, as you say we wasted for too many wages on players who contributed very little last season and even more the previous season with the full reserve team. 

Defensively we look almost there, could do with another centre back in as cover but you'd imagine the three currently signed will be the ones who start. Quite happy with the wing back options assuming McDonald can cover on the left, possibly our weakest position in terms of quality but good to have options when we finished the season with Walker and McCann as our only full backs. 

Given we tried to sign Paton I guess we'll still be looking for a holding midfielder. I think we'll be looking at Agnew and McCabe as the main two midfielders, possibly with someone behind them. From what we've seen of Ritchie he strikes me as more of a Kieran Millar ball-winning player rather than an outright holding midfielder, so someone like Paton who can keep things steady and solid would be ideal. It looks like we've recruited for a 3-5-2 given the lack of wide players but it would be nice to have that option too. Easton and Frizzell can play out wide but we lack a proper winger and a bit of pace to change things up if needed. Doesn't need to be someone to start every game, especially if we go with a back three, just someone to make an impact from the bench like Thomson did last season. 

We definitely need another striker as we all know. I think Easton might end up playing as a forward sometimes but we definitely need a bit more than Allan and Pyott at the very least. Unless we're lucky with a loan signing then I think it's unlikely we'll be able to bring in anyone better than Gallagher, so someone to compliment him and who can perhaps offer something slightly different would be good.

5 hours ago, thediamonddude said:

Been thinking about what we still need over the past few days and, I reckon we’re probably 4 players off of our final squad - a CB, CM, ST. And before you say anything, yes I can count, I’m just assuming MacDonald will be signing. I’m also assuming Robert will be gone.

Wing backs - Wardrop, Quitongo, Walker, MacDonald (Fordyce, Kerr and Watson could also cover there if absolutely necessary)

Centre Mids - Agnew, McCabe, Ritchie (MacDonald and Kerr can also cover there)

MacDonald gives you a bit of cover in various areas, so his signing would make sense.

what Macdonald are you referring to don’t think we have one

14 hours ago, thediamonddude said:

Been thinking about what we still need over the past few days and, I reckon we’re probably 4 players off of our final squad - a CB, CM, ST. And before you say anything, yes I can count, I’m just assuming McDonald will be signing. I’m also assuming Robert will be gone.

Wing backs - Wardrop, Quitongo, Walker, McDonald (Fordyce, Kerr and Watson could also cover there if absolutely necessary)

Centre Mids - Agnew, McCabe, Ritchie (McDonald and Kerr can also cover there)

McDonald gives you a bit of cover in various areas, so his signing would make sense.

There looks to be an imbalance in the squad from midfield to front as we look tiny with Gal being the big guy. I echo the sentiments regarding a striker but  he needs to be able to provide an aerial threat a la Jimmy Lister!

Don’t know if it’s just me but this must be the worst quality stream I’ve ever watched. It feels like I’m watching it through some dodgy streaming site.

From what I can see, Easton looks a real threat. The trialist (number 11) looks decent so far as well. Any ideas who it is?

1 minute ago, Diamond Oracle said:

Don’t know if it’s just me but this must be the worst quality stream I’ve ever watched. It feels like I’m watching it through some dodgy streaming site.

From what I can see, Easton looks a real threat. The trialist (number 11) looks decent so far as well. Any ideas who it is?

Having the same issues , thought it was just my Internet. And agree trialist looks OK.