The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

17 hours ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:

Andy Ryan signing with the accies. Makes his 1 year drop to the 4th tier all the more strange.

It's the same people behind the scenes at both clubs. After they sold their share of Airdrie some of them got involved at Stirling Albion. Part of Andy Ryan's deal to move to Stirling was a job with M&H Logistics. 

6 hours ago, Tory Boy said:

It's the same people behind the scenes at both clubs. After they sold their share of Airdrie some of them got involved at Stirling Albion. Part of Andy Ryan's deal to move to Stirling was a job with M&H Logistics. 

Yep,signs a two year deal with Stirling then suddenly signs for Hamilton 

So any trialists for our glamour tie vs Cumbernauld Colts this weekend or is this squad it, meaning we are actually going with Allan or Pyott up front and someone shoehorned into the defensive midfield role?

Edited by G_H

Have Stirling brought in Iain King and Nico Sumsky yet? If Wotherspoon is back in the football business (not that it’s necessarily him you mean) I hope he’s grown a thicker skin and a better plan than just hiring his mates in every key position. 

Best of luck to Andy Ryan. He’s a cracking player and much better than jobbing it around in League 2 with Stirling Albion. I hope he can make the most of his opportunity at Accies. If not we’ve managed to get loans off them before... 

2 hours ago, G_H said:

So any trialists for our glamour tie vs Cumbernauld Colts this weekend or is this squad it, meaning we are actually going with Allan or Pyott up front and someone shoehorned into the defensive midfield role?

There probably will be trialists on the bench but no one will be shoe horned in aggy will control the midfield alongside mccabes legs to get up and down the park with Eastons flair and creativity to create chances for the two strikers             

Max

Wardrop Watson Kerr Fordyce Quitongo 

Mccabe Agnew

Easton 

Gallagher Allan

Subs:Cantley Ritchie Frizzell Walker Pyott

19 minutes ago, Spanish Armada said:

There probably will be trialists on the bench but no one will be shoe horned in aggy will control the midfield alongside mccabes legs to get up and down the park with Eastons flair and creativity to create chances for the two strikers             

Max

Wardrop Watson Kerr Fordyce Quitongo 

Mccabe Agnew

Easton 

Gallagher Allan

Subs:Cantley Ritchie Frizzell Walker Pyott

Played Dunfermline tonight lost 1-0

39 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

Daily Record version of this article says that Ian Murray is going to play him in midfield. We will be signing a goalkeeper to play up front after this, I expect.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/motherwells-matthew-mcdonald-set-sign-24428076

24 minutes ago, G_H said:

Daily Record version of this article says that Ian Murray is going to play him in midfield. We will be signing a goalkeeper to play up front after this, I expect.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/motherwells-matthew-mcdonald-set-sign-24428076

Aye play some of the midfielders we signed at right back, youngsters will never with this league, same old story with Murray, 

40 minutes ago, G_H said:

Yeah I’m not convinced by that at all (for right-back or midfield). Though as we know - playing a defender in midfield is very Ian Murray! I wonder if the plan is to play him at right wing or wing-back or as our holding midfielder? I could be making a lot of assumptions, and we don’t know what other players we might have looked at who’ve went elsewhere instead, but it doesn’t say a lot for our planning in that holding midfield position if Plan A was Paul Paton and Plan B is a right-back who’s never played a game of senior football let alone in that position before. Playing defenders in there was literally our biggest problem last season. Even in his natural position it’s not as if we need any cover there. We’ve already got Wardrop and Walker and Kerr, Fordyce, Watson and Ritchie can and have all played there before. If we have to go down the youngster route I’d rather we just signed a proper centre-mid on loan. 

Edited by airdrieman

I don't know if he is signing or not but asked a Motherwell fan about McDonald.

He said he played left back for Motherwell Colts.

He apparently looked a prospect but his only problem was size, he was quite small. He had heard he had bulked up a bit since then and moved to centre midfield but hadn't actually seen him play there.

3 hours ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:

A 19 year old laddie should be able to play a variety of positions these days and it may well be that he's shown well in a defensive midfield role. Think I'm prepared to wait and see what he's like before I rush to judge about playing him "out of position".

Awe, I wasnt aware of that, been a bit wary since Jack McKay, 

1 hour ago, Onthefringes said:

Kid can play, make no doubt about that. Injured at the wrong stage of development & last years’ lack of opportunities didn’t help - and I don’t mean first team ready before some jump on that comment.

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

Aye, it feels like that entire group lost a full year or more worth of development with there being no Reserves league.

The only time I saw him was in the Challenge Cup against Spartans. He was playing left back in that game IIRC.

From the Motherwell thread. It's not a particularly exciting signing but the last young player we signed from Motherwell did pretty well for us, so hopefully the same here. We do need cover at left back so hopefully he can provide that as well as competition in midfield.