The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

McCann’s a good player and I’m disappointed to lose him but can’t argue with him taking a three year deal, something we can’t offer anyone. He’s a loss but he’s not irreplaceable, while he’s a downgrade I’m happy enough with Quitongo as a replacement. It’s a shame he’s moved to a team in our league but can’t criticise him for taking the security of a three year deal.

Gutted to be losing McCann but wasn’t unexpected.   Was really hoping he would make the move up to Championship level but the 3 year deal at Falkirk makes sense and I’m sure they sold it to him with the vision of being in a different league come 2022.   But sometimes that doesn’t work out..  undoubtedly Falkirk have the best defender in the league but I still feel fairly good with how things are shaping up 

35 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

Don't remember McCann  or Turner standing out against Morton, 

Agreed, I thought  McCann's limitations and physicality got exposed in the Morton games. Having said that I would have preferred him to stay as he is pretty decent at league 1 level but I'm convinced he would struggle in the Championship. Good luck to him though as no doubt he has had a substantial wage increase.

Turner didn't have his greatest games but he couldn't carry the team on it's own, again!

16 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Agreed, I thought  McCann's limitations and physicality got exposed in the Morton games. Having said that I would have preferred him to stay as he is pretty decent at league 1 level but I'm convinced he would struggle in the Championship. Good luck to him though as no doubt he has had a substantial wage increase.

Turner didn't have his greatest games but he couldn't carry the team on it's own, again!

Right about Turner, McCann  would have been better to have  had another year with us, good player just now but that year would have made  a big difference, good luck to him anyway, except against us, 

4 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

Embarrassing stuff as usual on the supporters Facebook group. McCann is bang average and no great loss apparently. Some of these people are tuned to the moon.

And then on the flip side you have the usual doom mongers who’d have you think it’s the worst thing that could ever have conceivably happened in our entire history. It’s a good laugh that Facebook group anyway! 

3 hours ago, FFC 1876 said:

Could you not have gave us Kerr too?

If you need a centre-half Harlain Mbayo is yer man. 

14 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

And then on the flip side you have the usual doom mongers who’d have you think it’s the worst thing that could ever have conceivably happened in our entire history. It’s a good laugh that Facebook group anyway! 

If you need a centre-half Harlain Mbayo is yer man. 

Last I heard Mbayo was rocking up at Dumbarton. 😯😯😯

*sigh* Imagine losing a player to that shower.

Right, so, I'm sure a few of you will get your knickers in a twist over this assessment:

GK:

Cantley: Never made a first team appearance, not really expected to
Currie: OK, fine. But is this his level?

Def:

Fordyce: Strong centre back
Kerr: Upgrade on Crighton if he can stay fit
Quitongo: Finished 9th, downgrade on previous LB, notable step backwards
Walker: Developing. Not as good as McKay.
Wardrop: Says he is a winner, finished 9th.
Watson: From another team that finished in the bottom half of the table, 6th this time.

Mid:

Agnew: Aging but also fills a roll as Assistant Manager. Didnt have a great 2nd half of season, is he done? Team he came from finished 6th
Easton: Known to blow hot and cold, can be an exciting player or a waste of space. Which one we are getting by the sounds of things is on a game by game basis. Lots of goals last season, but lowland league.
Frizzell: Finished 9th. Doesn't seem to have done much of anything since leaving kilmarnock.
McCabe: I have a sheff wednesday fan who is a member of my team at work, so asked him about McCabe, and the answer was "player who thinks he is better than he actually is". Can Murray motivate McCabe into being that quality player that he should have about him? I don't really think Murray wins the motivation game very often tbh.
Richie: Quite an anonymous player for someone who is there to provide utility
Robert: Murray hasn't developed him any further towards his supposed potential unfortunately. Has glimpses of quality, but still needs to handle the physical game much better than at present. People seem to think he is off, so?

Atk:

Allan: Couldnt get a game in a team that were relegated.
Gallagher: Will score goals if he gets service
Pyott: Tea maker extrordinaire???

This squad as it stands looks like a mid table squad at best, and certainly wont have me rushing out to buy a season ticket.

I will wait to see how our squad actually plays before I lose the plot and for the time being I will watch some boring internationals. McCann is a good L1 player at present so best of luck to him with what looks like a better contract/money-it's what most players seek as a career if FT or as a good add if you play PT. 

1 hour ago, squeezeboxson said:

I don't imagine we'll be signing another CB around this level as we now have McGeever, Buchanan and young fella Lynch who was at Alloa last season. May be wrong though...

Don't worry of you sign Mbayo you won't really be getting a centre back or even a football player...

4 hours ago, Passionate said:

Last I heard Mbayo was rocking up at Dumbarton. 😯😯😯

Haha I jokingly said they might sign him after they signed his agency buddy Eoghan Stokes so it would be very funny (if unfortunate for Dumbarton) if they did 😂

9 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

Haha I jokingly said they might sign him after they signed his agency buddy Eoghan Stokes so it would be very funny (if unfortunate for Dumbarton) if they did 😂

You never know......😂😂

The only thing I remember Mbayo doing was blootering the  ball out the stadium against Partick,   truly bizarre signing....

Don’t know about anyone else but after that result today and the impending implosion of the Scotland team (I’m trying to stay positive but been here too many times before) I’m more than ready to get focused on the upcoming season.  Thinking today’s game probably prevented some transfer and signing activity but hoping tomorrow there may be more to talk about.  Don’t know if anyone has heard any more rumours, expecting another signing this week though.   Especially with pre-season right around the corner 

44 minutes ago, FLDiamond said:

Don’t know about anyone else but after that result today and the impending implosion of the Scotland team (I’m trying to stay positive but been here too many times before) I’m more than ready to get focused on the upcoming season.  Thinking today’s game probably prevented some transfer and signing activity but hoping tomorrow there may be more to talk about.  Don’t know if anyone has heard any more rumours, expecting another signing this week though.   Especially with pre-season right around the corner 

Being an Airdrie fan is an ideal YTS for Scotland fandom to be fair!

On 11/06/2021 at 21:06, lionel wickson said:
On 11/06/2021 at 19:53, Jack Reed said:
Do need a big striker, the players signed are a bit more attack minded and will give Gallagher better service, don't think we are far away, 

They don't come much bigger than Robert Jones. He's your man.

A big striker who used to play for Dumbarton? 

Bring him home. 

Airdrieonians 4 Stirling Albion 1: Strike stars fire Diamonds to victory -  Daily Record

On 13/06/2021 at 22:29, Passionate said:

You never know......😂😂

The only thing I remember Mbayo doing was blootering the  ball out the stadium against Partick,   truly bizarre signing....

He also made Blair Henderson look like prime Gabriel Batistusta in the League Cup group game. And we only ended up playing Paul McKay at the back and thus ended the season with the back three so Murray could do literally anything other than play Mbayo 😂

An utterly pointless signing - for the club and the player. What a waste of time moving all the way up from Truro for probably no more than 90 minutes over an entire season!