The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

Guest Peter LaFleur
1 minute ago, Passionate said:

Falkirk apparently, they seem pretty sure he is signing \ signed

It was from an Airdrie fan that he has signed. We’re clueless tbh.

2 minutes ago, Peter LaFleur said:

It was from an Airdrie fan that he has signed. We’re clueless tbh.

Oh right, your thread were making it sound as if it was the second coming of Kieran Tierney, the other whisper I heard was Alloa were interested,  can understand Falkirk at a push, but Alloa if true is an unusual destination for the lad...

5 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

Think airdrie want a development fee which might explain the hold up

What are the actual rules on development fees? Other clubs seem to be claiming thousands for having players yet Rico Quitongo has been with us for 2 years since he was 19 and we get nothing. 

Guest Peter LaFleur
14 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Oh right, your thread were making it sound as if it was the second coming of Kieran Tierney, the other whisper I heard was Alloa were interested,  can understand Falkirk at a push, but Alloa if true is an unusual destination for the lad...

He’s comfortably the best left back in the league and has been for both seasons we’ve been down here. He would be an excellent signing. Don’t think anyone thinks he’s a world beater and the championship could be his level.

1 hour ago, Peter LaFleur said:

He’s comfortably the best left back in the league and has been for both seasons we’ve been down here. He would be an excellent signing. Don’t think anyone thinks he’s a world beater and the championship could be his level.

Who would have thought we would have had all these departures, new signings and still a couple to come in 🤔

21 minutes ago, Diamond Oracle said:

I accept Quitongo is unlikely to be anywhere near the quality of Leon McCann, however can we afford to have two left backs? Surely we’re better investing whatever McCann’s wage would be into a better centre forward or another holding midfielder.

If we are playing with a wing back we want McCann.

I don't see any upside to quitongo at all tbh, would have been better searching further afield if we need to replace that position.

Hopefully McCann is as ambitious as he claims and goes somewhere better than Falkirk if he is indeed going.

Excluding McCann and Robert, who we all assume will be away at this point, we currently have 16 players signed up. Looking at what we have, we’ve quietly went about building the basis of a decent squad, with room for another couple of quality additions. 

GK: Currie, Cantley
DF: Wardrop, Walker, Watson, Kerr, Fordyce, Quitongo
MF: Frizzell, Ritchie, Agnew, McCabe, Easton
FW: Gallagher, Allan, Pyott

We’re pretty much sorted in terms of keepers and defence, perhaps a versatile defender who can cover centre back and left back in case we use a back three often but I’m pretty happy with what we have already. Wardrop should be an upgrade on Walker and Watson should be better at building from the back than McKay was. Quitongo is a downgrade on McCann but hopefully playing slightly further forward might cover some of his defensive issues.

Midfield looks much better after yesterday’s signings. Easton, Frizzell, McCabe and Agnew should offer a lot more goals, creativity and assists than our usual midfield options over the last few years. We definitely need a defensive minded midfielder and I assume we will we be trying to sign one after missing out on Paton. Looking at the players we have I suspect we’ll be going with the same 3-5-2 system we used at the end of last season as Frizzell, Agnew, Easton and McCabe all suited to the two attacking midfield positions within that. We could do with a winger too though, just to give us some options to vary things when needed.

We definitely need another decent striker in to compete with the ones we currently have. I think Gallagher will be our main striker, which I’m fine with, but we need someone else to compete with him or play beside him, as I’m not convinced Allan or Pyott are good enough for that yet. 

Murray mentioned we’d be going for quality over quantity which seems sensible and a definite change from the last couple of years where we’ve had by far the biggest squad in the league when including all the reserve players. I think we’re probably a defensive midfielder, winger, striker and possibly defensive cover away from being sorted. Given how many players have left, I’m quite pleased with how things have gone so far this summer. 

1 hour ago, Diamond Oracle said:

I accept Quitongo is unlikely to be anywhere near the quality of Leon McCann, however can we afford to have two left backs? Surely we’re better investing whatever McCann’s wage would be into a better centre forward or another holding midfielder.

McCanns stock is rising sky high without kicking a ball this off season,  wherever he ends up it won't make it break either clubs season,     Quitongo is a more than decent left back at our level,    Do we need another holding midfield player,  Kerr, Watson, McCabe even Agnew could play there....

1 hour ago, Mr November said:

Excluding McCann and Robert, who we all assume will be away at this point, we currently have 16 players signed up. Looking at what we have, we’ve quietly went about building the basis of a decent squad, with room for another couple of quality additions. 

GK: Currie, Cantley
DF: Wardrop, Walker, Watson, Kerr, Fordyce, Quitongo
MF: Frizzell, Ritchie, Agnew, McCabe, Easton
FW: Gallagher, Allan, Pyott

We’re pretty much sorted in terms of keepers and defence, perhaps a versatile defender who can cover centre back and left back in case we use a back three often but I’m pretty happy with what we have already. Wardrop should be an upgrade on Walker and Watson should be better at building from the back than McKay was. Quitongo is a downgrade on McCann but hopefully playing slightly further forward might cover some of his defensive issues.

Midfield looks much better after yesterday’s signings. Easton, Frizzell, McCabe and Agnew should offer a lot more goals, creativity and assists than our usual midfield options over the last few years. We definitely need a defensive minded midfielder and I assume we will we be trying to sign one after missing out on Paton. Looking at the players we have I suspect we’ll be going with the same 3-5-2 system we used at the end of last season as Frizzell, Agnew, Easton and McCabe all suited to the two attacking midfield positions within that. We could do with a winger too though, just to give us some options to vary things when needed.

We definitely need another decent striker in to compete with the ones we currently have. I think Gallagher will be our main striker, which I’m fine with, but we need someone else to compete with him or play beside him, as I’m not convinced Allan or Pyott are good enough for that yet. 

Murray mentioned we’d be going for quality over quantity which seems sensible and a definite change from the last couple of years where we’ve had by far the biggest squad in the league when including all the reserve players. I think we’re probably a defensive midfielder, winger, striker and possibly defensive cover away from being sorted. Given how many players have left, I’m quite pleased with how things have gone so far this summer. 

Agree with most of this for sure and the one position I’m concerned about is a striker.  Gallagher sometimes goes off the boil and the goals disappear for a few games.  Yes, whoever our forwards are they are sure to get excellent service from the middle of the park but I’d like to get someone for Gal to partner with.  If I was Murray I’d be fully focused on this right now.   Should be his top priority

58 minutes ago, FLDiamond said:

Agree with most of this for sure and the one position I’m concerned about is a striker.  Gallagher sometimes goes off the boil and the goals disappear for a few games.  Yes, whoever our forwards are they are sure to get excellent service from the middle of the park but I’d like to get someone for Gal to partner with.  If I was Murray I’d be fully focused on this right now.   Should be his top priority

Has Kyle Connell signed his new deal at Killie. ?????

1 hour ago, Passionate said:

Has Kyle Connell signed his new deal at Killie. ?????

As far as I’m aware he hasn’t signed a new contract.   That’s a definite shout, he knows the team, would fit right in and hit the ground running.   Blair Henderson would also be good but under contract at Edinburgh until next summer.   But he’d be a good signing IMO 

1 minute ago, FLDiamond said:

As far as I’m aware he hasn’t signed a new contract.   That’s a definite shout, he knows the team, would fit right in and hit the ground running.   Blair Henderson would also be good but under contract at Edinburgh until next summer.   But he’d be a good signing IMO 

He's left Edinburgh City as of an hour ago.