The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

6 minutes ago, ALOREBURNE said:

Ally Roy, what can you tell us? 

Fair fucking play Mr Roy, getting another go at full-time football. 

I think there’s definitely a player in Ally Roy. Albeit one who’s definitely a confidence player. He wasn't very good but I think he was quite unlucky in his time at Airdrie and two defining moments potentially stopped him from properly kicking on. In 2019/20 he scored three goals in the League Cup group stages, not a bad return at all, and looked like he might be a handy acquisition. Then in the second game of the season  he blootered a penalty over the bar at Links Park, his confidence almost literally drained from him in that instance and he never once looked the same player. The rest of the season he spent confined to the bench where he’d maybe come on in the last 10-20 minutes of games and every time the game just looked completely beyond him and his abilities. He never even ‘put himself about’ in that way fans like and he looked a player devoid of confidence. He scored another 2 goals but they were both the last in 3-1 and 4-1 wins (I think) so largely meaningless. He was kept on for last season inexplicably in the eyes of most fans. But he hit a real purple patch in pre-season (for whatever that’s worth) and scored in every friendly bar one (IIRC). Then in the opening minutes of the League Cup groups he got a really bad arm injury and was out until December/January/after the break. After that he did score three goals in three games and at that point looked like he could be a real threat and a vital part of the run-in. But then he was in and out of the team and struggled to get any proper momentum back. 
His time at Airdrie wasn’t great but I definitely think there’s a player in there somewhere. At what level though I’m not sure. TBH I think he’d have been best dropping down to League 2/Lowland League/WoSFL to get a regular run of games, under a manager who’s going to pick him every week and where ideally he can go on a scoring run. I'm astonished he's got another gig in full-time football so quickly let alone up a level. Maybe he'll be worth a punt with game time but he's not somebody I'd want to be relying on for goals in League 1 let alone the Championship. 

58 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Paton made a big deal about going part-time last summer, so I'd be surprised if he gets many better offers than us, both financially and size of club. Who knows, we may well miss out on him to someone else but if he's turned down East Kilbride then it does seem pretty likely that he'll end up here.

Within the hour he’s signed for Dumbarton!

Or maybe not... 

Disappointing he's opted to join another team in our league but I assume this is something to do with the algorithm/external forces that dictate which of our players join Dumbarton, Stenny and QOS and vice-versa. 

On 08/06/2021 at 11:35, Mr November said:

like how Murray was saying yesterday that he didn’t want to name our targets and rightly so, only for Stevie Aitken to come out the next day and name two of them :lol: He really loves the sound of his own voice, doesn’t he?

I blame Stevie Farrell's ex boss and good friend Stevie Aitken. 

5 minutes ago, FLDiamond said:

Disappointed that Paton has opted for another L1 club.   I was hopeful he’d come back onboard.   Still, there is still plenty of time to get the right signings in place.  Anyone heard any rumors? 

Out of interest - is Paton an upgrade on Wedderburn? I wasn't Nat's biggest fan but many of our fans loved him.

20 minutes ago, squeezeboxson said:

Out of interest - is Paton an upgrade on Wedderburn? I wasn't Nat's biggest fan but many of our fans loved him.

Yes, a definite upgrade.  Nat had some good attributes but overall Paton is the better player that can be very effective in his role.  Just hopefully not against us 

On 09/02/2019 at 22:26, Chapelhall chap said:

I have posted on the match thread  but my thoughts on the team (!) today would take a lot longer. I would exempt from severe criticism the back three during the first half as they did all you would want in a defensive aspect on a near "Gayfield" day. I felt sorry for Chris O'Neil being moved to the left side with McDonald out injured -shows how much Murray values our left sided Jonathan Page.  Crighton also did well but I don't see Robertson as what is needed in a back three. The real areas of concern were all in front of that defence. From out of sorts Stewart who could not get past Eckersley through a midfield which show no sense of team work to Conroy in his painfully defensive role, it was embarrassing.  Mcintosh was so isolated he was easy meat for Forfar. That was just the first half and I have to wonder why Murray kept exactly the same line up and tactics until we went 2 down. The loan player from Hibs is being wasted because he has no idea where he is supposed to play?  we have all these midfield players but no real competition. Millar was anonymous/ Gallagher did work really hard but no one broke through. The young boy Glass looked just that -a young boy. Yes" Carrick must score" is becoming a well worn phrase  but he deserves a place more than most.  Again we had no one up the park at corners which we used to berate EWB over.  I did think it would be  hard but this was poor.   Last week Murray said he was deflated; this week has lots more D words-defeat/devoid of ideas/ dreadful tactics/ dreary drive down da road/ and any others you can devise.

Aye, it allegiance to Airdrie, players will come and go, fans worth a lot more,, let's hope we can bring in 2or 3 good players  that will give us something to shout about, 

1 hour ago, FLDiamond said:

Disappointed that Paton has opted for another L1 club.   I was hopeful he’d come back onboard.   Still, there is still plenty of time to get the right signings in place.  Anyone heard any rumors? 

The only one I heard apart from Paton was Rhys McCabe from QOS, experienced midfielder,   all went quiet this week though,  interesting that rival clubs in our League are signing decent players on 2 year deals,  is that what is encouraging them to sign a bit of security, hard to blame the player....

for me we have recruited reasonably well although Cove,  Montrose and East Fife even this early are looking strong with there squads pretty much complete...

In the coming days Pre season training will be starting , the majority of players it seems are Part Time ( not got a problem with it)  we still have a small number of Full timers at present Kerr, Fordyce, Rico possibly more to come,  for the Hybrid to work properly you need a minimum of 50 % of the squad full time otherwise it is pointless....    

Al s o  we need to know one way or another about Leon McCann is he resigning o r not, are we in danger of missing other targets due to his wage still being i n the budget...

Hopefully some new signings in the coming days not including Dean Ritchie

2 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Al s o  we need to know one way or another about Leon McCann is he resigning o r not, are we in danger of missing other targets due to his wage still being i n the budget...

Hopefully some new signings in the coming days not including Dean Ritchie

Interesting point….. yes, I’d LOVE to see McCann back for next season but we do need to have that business locked up in the coming days.  I would imagine the player will be with a club by next week latest to make the start of pre-season training.   Fingers crossed that the fountain pen is back sooner rather than later with a quality signing 

I'm happy so far with Murray's business. Nothing outstanding but solid and the defence as good if not better than last season. 

Plus, McCann still may stay, yiu just never know. 

As for other new players I reckon we might hear more news soon. It's a shame we didn't get Paton but there's plenty other good, younger players out there. 

McCabe has been mentioned. May have gone quiet but that doesn't me its not still on the table. He's be a very decent signing and, as he's coming from a league above, it might stop some of the negative nonsense about us signing players from lower leagues. 

I reckon there'll be others in soon enough. Happy right now. 

6 hours ago, Mr November said:

Paton made a big deal about going part-time last summer, so I'd be surprised if he gets many better offers than us, both financially and size of club. Who knows, we may well miss out on him to someone else but if he's turned down East Kilbride then it does seem pretty likely that he'll end up here.

Size of club 🤣 remind us again how long you lasted In the championship when we both went up? That time you got promoted for not winning promotion 😆

stop thinking airdrie are big time and maybe you’ll be a little less disappointed every time your season crumbles 😢

Edited by Guest

Size of club 🤣 remind us again how long you lasted In the championship when we both went up? That time you got promoted for not winning promotion [emoji38]

stop thinking airdrie are big time and maybe you’ll be a little less disappointed every time your season crumbles [emoji22]

News flash fannybaws. This is the airdrie thread. Not the falkirk thread

37 minutes ago, Aufc said:

News flash fannybaws. This is the airdrie thread. Not the falkirk thread

Firstly I belong to Dumbarton thread 

and...

you can’t deny it, Christ Alloa have went up twice in that time and came back down, Arbroath, f**k even Brechin went up and came back down lol. All whilst you’s lot think you are something cause you went semi full time 😆😆 

Get real