The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

19 minutes ago, Diamond Oracle said:

I thought Frizzell was a winger in which case he would replace the Thomson/ O’Reilly role coming off the bench to run at defences in the last 20 mins of games. I may be wrong however!

He rarely played wide for us. Mostly in behind the striker or off the striker with the occasional dropping back into the centre on midfield if we were a bit bare due to injuries etc. Might work better out wide to be fair...

33 minutes ago, stuartcraig said:

Is this based on who we have signed today, or more who you know we'll have signed by the start of the season?

That's exactly what I wondered, usually when Ewan drops something cryptic like this, within a week there's a decent (on paper) signing announced!

Kerr has signed and McKay has gone to QoS - life is good!  Diidn't mind McKay but if given the choice --- keep Kerr all day long.

I am starting to see a trend - perhaps last season starters that were told they could be seeing more bench time moving on while potential starters sticking around?.

3 hours ago, stuartcraig said:

Is Allan going to start?

3 hours ago, Diamond Oracle said:

Unless we sign another striker I would imagine so based on the formation we played last season.

3 hours ago, stuartcraig said:

Better sign another striker then.

I can't see Allan starting. Obviously he's one of only two strikers signed at the moment (excluding Pyott) but I'd very surprised if we go onto the season with him as first choice alongside Gallagher. I don't know which players the management team are looking at or hoping to sign but we're probably going to have to sign at least one more if not two strikers anyway so I'd be surprised if they were less proven or further down the pecking order than Allan. Looking forward to starting the season with Gallagher out wide and Allan and Pyott upfront. 

He's signed in a position we were already strong in but I'm feeling much more optimistic about the season now that Kerr is sticking around. He's just that good. Any combination of Watson, Kerr and Fordyce will be solid and comfortable enough on the ball at this level which *should* make a big difference in terms of how we want to play and our distribution. Still early days but a team something along the lines of: 

Currie 

Wardrop Fordyce Kerr Quitongo 

New (Paton) 

New (McCabe) New Agnew 

Gallagher New 

Subs: Watson, New DM/Ritchie, Frizzell, Allan, GK, Robert/New FW, New ST. 

Plus Walker, Ritchie and Pyott in reserve is a good base to build on. 

3 hours ago, ewan_fife said:

Airdrie looking strong

*Googles players with the surname Strong* 

6 hours ago, Diamond Oracle said:

With that signing, out starting 11 is looking something like:

Currie

Watson - Kerr - Fordyce

Wardrop - Ritchie - ??? - Quitongo/ McCann

Agnew

Gallagher - Allan

Subs: Walker, Frizzell, Ritchie, Robert?, Pyott

Not too bad for this stage of the season, not as doom as gloom as I thought it was. Who we manage to bring in in midfield is going to be absolutely crucial. We simply can’t get away with starting the season with guys like McKay/ Ritchie/ Kerr/ Sabatini/ Stokes playing there.

🤣🤣🤣Ritchie

What I'd go with would probs be and I reckon Murray will go with (if we sign who we are rumoured to be after)

Max

Watson kerr Fordyce

Wardrop Paton Mccabe McCann 

Agnew 

Gallagher New ST

Subs-New GK,Walker,Frizzell,Allan Pyott

I reckon Ritchie will be leaving not good enough!

The article here says he’s likely to be coming to us but this is the same rag that says Lee Miller was Falkirk’s assistant manager last season (in the same article) and described Chris Millar as an ex Celtic youth star so how much they really know I’m doubtful. Fully expect him to sign for Ayr now. 

6 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

The article here says he’s likely to be coming to us but this is the same rag that says Lee Miller was Falkirk’s assistant manager last season (in the same article) and described Chris Millar as an ex Celtic youth star so how much they really know I’m doubtful. Fully expect him to sign for Ayr now. 

Maybe I’m being naive here but hoping that the good relationships that Murray has built with the players will help retain more talent and possibly draw in some good signings.   Yes, some teams vying for Patons signature may be at a higher level and if it’s about money then more than likely we will miss out.  But surely players will see what Murray is trying to do at the club and they will know that we have a realistic chance of winning some silverware next season.   So yes, I’m really hoping that Paton signs up and hopefully some others….    Ive been impressed that Murray has cut loose anyone who couldn’t add to the team and he’s worked hard at retaining the talent.  The new signings will tell its own story in time.  The recruitment has been fairly solid so far and we most definitely have a good basis of a team to build around.  Hopefully attractive enough to draw in some quality players who want to join the party  

Paton made a big deal about going part-time last summer, so I'd be surprised if he gets many better offers than us, both financially and size of club. Who knows, we may well miss out on him to someone else but if he's turned down East Kilbride then it does seem pretty likely that he'll end up here.

6 minutes ago, ALOREBURNE said:

Ally Roy, what can you tell us? 

Fair play for signing two of our most divisive players!

Roy definitely has some ability, he just didn’t show it often enough at Airdrie. He started pretty well in his first season, scoring a couple of goals in the Betfred Cup games. He missed a penalty in our second league game though and just never seemed to recover from that. He’s very much a confidence player, as any chance he got after that penalty miss he didn’t look comfortable and missed quite a lot of good chances when he was playing. The only other goal I remember him scoring that season was a great finish in a 4-0 win against East Fife but we were already 3-0 up, so he could go on and play without pressure. 

He had another great pre-season last summer but picked up a bad injury in the first competitive game and was out until pretty much after the restart in March. He did ok this season in his limited playing time, scored a few goals including the winner in the 1-0 win at Dumbarton that started our great run towards the end of the season. I think letting him go this summer was the correct choice for everyone though. 

It’s not for a lack of effort but he really does seem to be a confidence player and the slightest dent to that leaves him struggling. I thought his best move would be to drop down a level or two and have a season playing regularly, as I think he’d do well in that environment. Fair play to him if he manages that at Queens but I’m not convinced he’s good enough for that level. I think Paul McKay is a much better signing but others may disagree.