The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

1 hour ago, ebobsboy said:

I hardly think we are not so far anyway, the boy is only getting a trial if indeed it is us that's not to say we will sign him. So far we have signed McKay, Nesbitt, and Hetherington who were all championship players last season and Williamson from the league 1 champions.  

See, this to me, is what’s funny about a lot of folk’s reactions on here to our signings so far - Hetherington came from a side that were relegated from the Championship (and, I believe, has played a lot of his career in L1), Nesbitt from the side that finished 9th and Williamson from the side that were only two points clear of us. Falkirk may not be shopping in the same pool as us (yet), but their signings are hardly earth-shattering.

I genuinely think our league will be as tight as it’s ever been next season.

Don't get me wrong I agree in the sense they aren't world beaters but they should be better than the likes of some of the crap we let go,  ie  Francis, Leitch, Sammon, no guarantees ofcourse.  I really can't see us being worse than last season where we led most of the season despite being fucking woeful before our utter implosion. I think a lot will depend on who else we bring in, Telfer has signed on again as has Hall (although he is murder). Tough league though it always is. 

2 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:
2 hours ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:
He's got a long throw? We've probably already offered him a four year deal in that case.

Aye it's brilliant. Goes right in to the opposition box and gets the commentary team pumped every time before he takes one. More importantly it was directly responsible in creating a whopping 0 goals all season for us.

That sounds very familiar, this swap for McKay and McCabe could work out pretty well then. Paul McKay loves a long throw too, it generally doesn’t come to much unless you’re playing Falkirk. It guarantees about three goals a season against them.

5 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

Ah perhaps Adam Frizzell is over his injuries and can produce something like this

He wasn't ever really injured for us. Just not very good, most of the time. He would shoe a little flash of something every 5 or 6 games in beating a man and creating a chance. Then he would disappear for half a dozen matches again.

Has some ability but just doesn't have any consistency in showing/using it.

3 minutes ago, squeezeboxson said:

He wasn't ever really injured for us. Just not very good, most of the time. He would shoe a little flash of something every 5 or 6 games in beating a man and creating a chance. Then he would disappear for half a dozen matches again.

Has some ability but just doesn't have any consistency in showing/using it.

Not the season just ended but it seems he was the previous one. Not that it matters but it probably is just about last chance saloon if he wants to return to full time. 

"Frizzell initially joined Dumbarton on loan from Kilmarnock in October 2019, but a serious knee injury ended his season early and forced him to spend almost a year on the sidelines"

50 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Not the season just ended but it seems he was the previous one. Not that it matters but it probably is just about last chance saloon if he wants to return to full time. 

"Frizzell initially joined Dumbarton on loan from Kilmarnock in October 2019, but a serious knee injury ended his season early and forced him to spend almost a year on the sidelines"

That year on the sidelines was half COVID I reckon. But even before that he only showed in the odd occasion what he could do. Shocked he has found a FT deal even at this level! But I agree, last chance I would say if he can't show his capabilities more often.

2 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

Adam got injured in late December 2019. He returned to Killie at the end of his loan deal in January and didn't play again until we re-signed him in October 2020. 

As Squeezebox said he actually only missed three months of football because of the Covid situation, but he was dealing with that injury for almost a year. Fitness didn't seem to be an issue at all for him last year though, which is always a positive when a player has been our for that length of time.

9 hours ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Just out of interest is he any good? Interesting to hear Falkirk are shopping in the same "bottom end of League One markets" we've all been complaining about.

It's not just bottom team though, is it?  Dumbarton fan descriptions have ranged from "tries hard but not that brilliant" to "only thinks he's a football player".  None of the "calm down" types seem to mention that.

11 hours ago, stuartcraig said:

It's not just bottom team though, is it?  Dumbarton fan descriptions have ranged from "tries hard but not that brilliant" to "only thinks he's a football player".  None of the "calm down" types seem to mention that.

Those types of comments are reserved for our fan’s Facebook page - ‘Sons of the Rock’. The amount of roasters on there hitting out with this patter oooft! 😂 

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/airdrie-boss-extremely-happy-rebuilding-24264269?utm_source=linkCopy&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar

"We've got our wide areas fairly sorted. If you look at our squad from last season we had one left-sided player, but we've suddenly got three in Rico Quitongo, Scott Agnew and Leon McCann, so the balance of the squad already, as a manager, is so much better."

Interesting quote from Murray this morning.

24 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/airdrie-boss-extremely-happy-rebuilding-24264269?utm_source=linkCopy&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar

"We've got our wide areas fairly sorted. If you look at our squad from last season we had one left-sided player, but we've suddenly got three in Rico Quitongo, Scott Agnew and Leon McCann, so the balance of the squad already, as a manager, is so much better."

Was thinking that myself. Seems an odd thing to say if you know he’s definitely away. Obviously you can’t read too much into these things, and it doesn’t mean he’s staying either, but if you knew for sure he was leaving you’d surely just not include his name in that list? 

4 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

Was thinking that myself. Seems an odd thing to say if you know he’s definitely away. Obviously you can’t read too much into these things, and it doesn’t mean he’s staying either, but if you knew for sure he was leaving you’d surely just not include his name in that list? 

Yeah surely wouldn't mention his name if he was 100% away, must be confident he's going to sign a new deal or maybe already verbally agreed one.

3 hours ago, AJ77 said:

Not that it really matters but isn't Frizzell also left footed? Always thought it was strange that we had a 25 man squad last season with only one left footer.

49 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Not that it really matters but isn't Frizzell also left footed? Always thought it was strange that we had a 25 man squad last season with only one left footer.

That's like Findlay with Wilkie saying he had a "strong left foot" and he was right footed......

5 hours ago, AJ77 said:

Yeah surely wouldn't mention his name if he was 100% away, must be confident he's going to sign a new deal or maybe already verbally agreed one.

Or maybe it is a slip of a pen from a local journo to feed a gullible fanbase,    hopefully McCann does sign on for another year,  IF he does it just adds questions to t he signing of Rico who I am sure isn't coming here to sit on the bench..

Those types of comments are reserved for our fan’s Facebook page - ‘Sons of the Rock’. The amount of roasters on there hitting out with this patter oooft! [emoji23] 

Over 600 members on said “sons of the rock “page, equivalent to our average gate. A very small minority most likely.

Paton is a funny one for me. He was poor on the ball and his distribution was horrendous, but there is absolutely no doubt that we were better with him in the team. Wouldn’t mind him re-signing.

I would be pretty happy if we managed to sign Steven Bell. You wouldn’t think he’d be guaranteed to start every game for Thistle in the championship.