The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

51 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

What's fans thoughts on Paul McKay  heard he could be on way to Palmerston. 

Decent player who can play right back center back or center midfielder makes decent runs into the box and can Chuck a ball in the box from throw ins not sure if he will be any good in the championship.

Could be decent for use as long as his brother doesn’t come with him use should be good

I make it then that we’re still waiting for Frizzell to be confirmed and to hear what’s happening with Walker, Ritchie and Robert. Walker and Ritchie are strange ones as I can’t imagine they have better offers than Airdrie but perhaps they’re holding out for somewhere they might play more regularly. I’m not exactly desperate to keep either of them but I liked Walker last season and think he’s a decent enough prospect. Would be good to get some official word on what’s happening with Robert. Hopefully some more signing news to come over the weekend! 

And it looks as if O’Reilly is off to Stenny to continue or player swaps with Stenhousemuir/Dumbarton and (apparently) QOS. 

2 hours ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

On 03/06/2021 at 23:54, airdrieman said:

McKay became a real scapegoat for Airdrie fans - largely because of the rumoured influence his father had behind the scenes (though this has never been credibly proven) and our insistence on taking long throw-ins (which wasn’t his fault) rather than his ability IMO. But I’ve always liked him. He played centre mid in 2019/20 and I thought he was our best midfielder that season. He was a decent box-to-box type midfielder who was decent enough at most things without particularly great at any one thing. His best attribute was probably making runs into the opposition’s box from which he actually scored a few times and/or hit the bar or created chances. He didn’t work in midfield last season but I think this was largely down to him being our most experienced midfielder at the start of last season (despite his only senior experience being the season previous with us) and the rest of the midfield being entirely made up of similarly defensive or limited players. He’s a solid right-back and has the athleticism to play there but I think he’s guilty of just hoofing it down the line when he’s at right-back. He can also take a long throw-in. This had some success but this largely became nulled as it became the only thing we ever did at throw-ins and therefore increasingly easy to defend against. With the notable and hilarious exception of Falkirk. His best position for us was probably as a centre-half in a back three though that is from a small sample size. 

He’s definitely not as good as Kerr and doesn’t have as high a ceiling as him either. But even from a versatility standpoint he’s a good player to have in the squad and he’s definitely a bottom-half of the Championship/top-half of League 1 player IMO. 

His brother Jack is a big dumplin’ though. Avoid at all costs. 

13 hours ago, thediamonddude said:

I never said that he was a tactical genius, or that he always got his team selection spot on. What I said was that he has gotten a tune out of his squads for three years, which has brought us results. The rest of it, I couldn’t really care less about - I want my team to win.

I’ve said it before, of course I’d love us to be playing exciting, attacking free-flowing football, but I’m a realist and like I say, to me that’s secondary.

It’s like the way everyone fawns over Archibald’s team - you cannot deny there were some wonderful players there and it was exciting. But our results were pretty disastrous, people forget that.

I wouldn't say results were disastrous under Archibald. The team had no pre-season and took a wee while to get to grips with our game. After that they were excellent. I would take that team ahead of anything I have seen since

11 hours ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

I'm firmly in the "he's a dumpling camp" and never thought he would go up a level as i was delighted when he didn't sign a new contract for us.

He's fit, athletic and has a long throw but other than that he has no other attributes especially with the ball at his feet, simply can't play. As has been mentioned his brother is to be avoided at all costs.

7 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Am I correct in thinking that Patrick Pyott is now the longest serving player in the squad?

Or non player he must be awfully good to get a new deal too many injuries and worries on how he was injured in the Morton game he could well be longest just hope for the chap and the team he gest injury free season and we may see how good he is ♦️

20 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Am I correct in thinking that Patrick Pyott is now the longest serving player in the squad?

And probably fewest appearances, excluding most of the new signings. Quite the paradox

1 hour ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Was he signed before Fordyce and Gal? 

Edited by airdrieman

21 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

Frizzell confirmed. 

May the next rumours commence. 

Another player we have signed who is no worse than Craig Thomson but debatable how much of an improvement..

numbers slow!y creeping up. We still need a minimum of  7 players to still get signed up...  

5 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

I noticed Frizzell mentioned he likes our style of play. He must like a long throw-in 😉😂

Unless that long throw in goes to feet lol cause he’ll not win you any headers 🤣 genuinely hope it works out for him. Flashes of brilliance and incompetence, all the best to him 

11 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Another player we have signed who is no worse than Craig Thomson but debatable how much of an improvement..

numbers slow!y creeping up. We still need a minimum of  7 players to still get signed up...  

One thing for sure be no excuses for Murray this season clearly his players now and been talking to them for his master plan not last minute signings to fill the squad, on a positive all have said the are here for Airdrie's ambition to be promoted so let's see time will tell. I assume he will be addressing the midfield this week before we get the 4 loan players in 3 of whom will get a nice view from the bench ♦️

Edited by Eric the half a b