The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

The boy obviously has talent. Hopefully full-time football(?) and Murray and Agnew (and Prunty) can get the best out of him. What his scoring rate for Forfar last season? TBF scoring goals in a mince Forfar team is no mean feat. Not sure I want him to be leading the line or have to rely on him for goals but hopefully he can make a positive difference. 

I assume the boy came recommended or maybe Murray sees the potential in him but this definitely seems like a bit of a gamble.  Will he be the new ‘Ally Roy’?  He’s a local lad and presume he won’t be breaking the budget. Think we need a been there and done it frontman.  Someone who can get goals when provided with good service. Hoping that person will get signed up, with Allan as his back up 

Don't see Jordan as a first choice striker just yet but who knows if he starts banging in the goals. If we have any hope of going for the title we only have to look at the strikers in the past few seasons who got Partick, Raith and Arbroath to the championship. They were all experienced with a track record of scoring regularly.

Just now, dextermorgan said:

Don't see Jordan as a first choice striker just yet but who knows if he starts banging in the goals. If we have any hope of going for the title we only have to look at the strikers in the past few seasons who got Partick, Raith and Arbroath to the championship. They were all experienced with a track record of scoring regularly.

Jamie Gullan and Keiron Bowie were Raith's top scorers that season they won the league. Neither were experienced or had a track record of scoring regularly. 

1 hour ago, airdrieman said:

The boy obviously has talent. Hopefully full-time football(?) and Murray and Agnew (and Prunty) can get the best out of him. What his scoring rate for Forfar last season? TBF scoring goals in a mince Forfar team is no mean feat. Not sure I want him to be leading the line or have to rely on him for goals but hopefully he can make a positive difference. 

Like every striker they need the service, 

Jesus wept. His third spell, having done the square root of sod all the first twice. This is dire stuff. Jobbers from all over the gaff. Lets stop softly softlying round these piss poor signings. Not one new signing bar Agnew is a player who would have appeared on any Airdrie fans signing target lists.

Edited by cb_diamond

15 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

Jesus wept. His third spell, having done the square root of sod all the first twice. This is dire stuff. Jobbers from all over the gaff. Lets stop softly softlying round these piss poor signings. Not one new signing bar Agnew is a player who would have appeared on any Airdrie fans signing target lists.

That's because most fans know f**k all about managing a football team and what actually makes a good player. 

54 minutes ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

That's because most fans know f**k all about managing a football team and what actually makes a good player. 

That's is some statement, we know a player when we see one, the boys we have signed I know very little about, when playing against us I really don't  watch opposition, unless like Graham or meggason that make you watch them, as fans we are entitled to our opinion whether it be what you think or not, 

28 minutes ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

Perhaps true as not a lot of us have seen them play much:

Agnew - Top player at this level but has father time caught up with him. Great left peg and hopefully we can benefit from his set pieces. Success

Wardrop -  Done really nothing to date but  suffered due to injury. He did catch my eye in the last game we played against Dumbarton, looked a strong player. I'm hoping he will be a real find and a quick google tells you that he seems a clever chap. Success

Watson - Experienced player and seemed well liked by EF fans. Success

Quitongo - Again not really set the heather on fire and Dumbarton fans don't seem to rate him.  Worried

Allan - Worrying that he hardly played for the side that was bottom of the league but it seems the Forfar fans were bemused by this. Worried

I understand the frustration as we are all looking for a couple of marquee signings that are guaranteed to do well and excite us, lets hope there still to come.

1 hour ago, cb_diamond said:

Don't panic i hear Dean Ritchie is about to be unveiled with the scarf above his head in the coming days....  😂😂

I have been quite positive about signings so far.   Jordan Allan,  sorry not for me, but can he hit 6 goals, if so he will be as effective as Ally Roy.....  So the bar isn't that high......

Falkirk will run away with this league,    anybody up for the playoffs again

I think Agnew is a good signing albeit we will need legs in the midfield to play alongside him. I think Wardrop is an upgrade on our right-backs after MacDonald left and Quitongo and Watson are fair replacements for McCann and Kerr/McKay even if they’re not quite as good or don’t have as high a ceiling at least. I’m more meh and less convinced about Frizzell (if we do sign him) and Allan although I do think there is some ability there that we can hopefully get more out of than their previous clubs did. At the very least they’re probably on a par with O’Reilly/Thomson and Roy respectively. 

But all of that being said - it’s all well and good replacing your squad players with players of a similar ability and signing up a solid but unspectacular defence. BUT we will need to start replacing the Patons/Turners/Carricks with players of a similar quality or of a higher standard than the players we have at the moment soon. Even position wise that is something we haven’t really done yet. It’s still early doors and the club do seem to be aware of the need to improve the midfield and bring in a higher quality of player. Hopefully it’s just a case of better players taking longer to decide on their options and we get some movement on that front soon. It’s probably worth remembering the difference Paton and Turner made to the side alone so if we can really get the midfield right I’ll be fairly confident whoever is playing behind and in front of them. Not sure I fancy a strike partnership of Allan and Pyott even though I of course hope they both do well! 😂

Edited by airdrieman

2 hours ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

What a bizarre, bizarre thing to come back with. So because folk don't have their coaching badges they should sit on their hands and shoosh? There are no true upgrades for me in any of the players signed (Agnew isn't even near Turner quality wise). Several are a risk (Quitongo, Allan, Wardrope), some resignings are a waste of a wage (Pyott). None of that is even small cause for optimism at the moment. People parroting that we should wait and see and trust the manager. The manager couldn't get a turn out of his players for the vast majority of the last two years. He was universally and rightly criticised for being cluless and useless, but one short run of good form and he's suddenly reborn as a master tactician? 

5 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

What a bizarre, bizarre thing to come back with. So because folk don't have their coaching badges they should sit on their hands and shoosh? There are no true upgrades for me in any of the players signed (Agnew isn't even near Turner quality wise). Several are a risk (Quitongo, Allan, Wardrope), some resignings are a waste of a wage (Pyott). None of that is even small cause for optimism at the moment. People parroting that we should wait and see and trust the manager. The manager couldn't get a turn out of his players for the vast majority of the last two years. He was universally and rightly criticised for being cluless and useless, but one short run of good form and he's suddenly reborn as a master tactician? 

Think that’s a fairly inaccurate summation of Murray’s time in charge - he took a team that couldn’t buy a win under Findlay and took them to within a whisker of the playoffs. We finished 3rd the following season, only a fraction off of Falkirk and Raith. Then we were 2nd last season, just 2 points off Partick.

You can disagree with his methods, playing style, etc. all you like but he’s been pretty successful. That’s just fact.

13 minutes ago, thediamonddude said:

Think that’s a fairly inaccurate summation of Murray’s time in charge - he took a team that couldn’t buy a win under Findlay and took them to within a whisker of the playoffs. We finished 3rd the following season, only a fraction off of Falkirk and Raith. Then we were 2nd last season, just 2 points off Partick.

You can disagree with his methods, playing style, etc. all you like but he’s been pretty successful. That’s just fact.

I would disagree with his methods and playing style, but he doesn't actually have either of those things does he? Or is that now going to be subject to revisionist history as well? I have no idea in the last two seasons what his actual tactics are, what his best formation is and I could go on and on in a similar vein. I thought this was universally accepted among our fans? No??

Edited by cb_diamond

5 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

I would disagree with his methods and playing style, but he doesn't actually have either of those things does he? Or is that now going to be subject to revisionist history as well? I have no idea in the last two seasons what his actual tactics are, what his best formation is and I could go on and on in a similar vein. I thought this was universally accepted among our fans? No??

Agree managers record looks good on paper, fans that have been  watching every game know different, if we were being truthful apart from a couple of games we were played off the park, every thing seems to have changed, 

I missed out on seeing the 14 yr old Jordan Allan as a sub since I was hiding on a holiday. I have a vague memory of him coming back in on a loan but can't recall much. I knew he had been at Central Park and scored a few but he hardly featured with Forfar-might have seen him in a TV game against the Arabs? Not exactly an exciting addition to our squad but will hold back on any comments till he actually plays. As to where this squad is going it's more about solid than challenging at the present.

Agree with this, at the end of the day it’s a results based business and Murray has got a lot of positive results compared to other managers in the past, we’ve improved every season since he’s came in, hopefully go one better this coming season

32 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

I never said that he was a tactical genius, or that he always got his team selection spot on. What I said was that he has gotten a tune out of his squads for three years, which has brought us results. The rest of it, I couldn’t really care less about - I want my team to win.

I’ve said it before, of course I’d love us to be playing exciting, attacking free-flowing football, but I’m a realist and like I say, to me that’s secondary.

It’s like the way everyone fawns over Archibald’s team - you cannot deny there were some wonderful players there and it was exciting. But our results were pretty disastrous, people forget that.