The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

55 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

Pleased to see Max Currie signed up for another go around. I think that’s just McCann, Kerr, Walker and Ritchie we're still to hear about? I’m personally looking forward to McCann sacking off Falkirk to stay with the eventual champions and to get to a game next season and finally put a face to Dean Ritchie’s name. 

I heard a wee whisper Kerr’s off to QOS

Just now, stuartcraig said:

Looks like you got the Wardrop news correct.  Will the Kerr rumour make it 3 for 3.

https://www.airdriefc.com/2122-news/210603/sam-makes-diamonds-switch

And the snippet that Leitch is on his way to Cove could make it 4 for 4. First I heard of that was from @ewan_fife

Pleased with that. He’s a player I’ve always liked. Defence seems to be taking shape fairly well though I’d say we still need another centre-half. Hopefully some quality midfielders and forwards to come soon! 

7 minutes ago, qos1990 said:

Good player?

Kerr - fairly good if you can keep him fit and play him in his correct position

McKay - League 1 right back with a long throw, fairly athletic. don't see how he will improve your team unless your right back is quite poor.

Good player?

Kerr solid centre half still a bit raw for the championship imo think another year of league 1 and a good run of games in him he could play there comfortably next season, only 22/23 so plenty potential there.
McKay is okay at our level he’s played in about every position there is just to fit him in our starting 11, looked best in a back 3. Only really getting a higher move because of who his dad is

Kerr solid centre half still a bit raw for the championship imo think another year of league 1 and a good run of games in him he could play there comfortably next season, only 22/23 so plenty potential there.
McKay is okay at our level he’s played in about every position there is just to fit him in our starting 11, looked best in a back 3. Only really getting a higher move because of who his dad is

I actually thought that about McKay that it’s probably his old mans doing. Our right back was our player of the season. Unless Johnston is wanting to change the formation from last year.

Would be pretty happy with Kerr, from what I’ve read and watched of him. Exactly type of player we should targeting

1 hour ago, qos1990 said:

I actually thought that about McKay that it’s probably his old mans doing. Our right back was our player of the season. Unless Johnston is wanting to change the formation from last year.

Would be pretty happy with Kerr, from what I’ve read and watched of him. Exactly type of player we should targeting

In season 19/20 when McKay first joined he played as a central midfield, he does look awkward in that position but was pretty effective and scored a number of goals,   this past season it never clicked on midfield at all, after lockdown we played 3 at the back and it suited him and played well in the run in,  He got a bad arm break a fortnight ago ,  he might be lucky to be available for the start of the season...

4 hours ago, G_H said:

What, the same keeper that played in the team when we didn't get promoted last season, meaning that we are now going into our, what, 9th consecutive season in this division?

Decent keeper, and glad to have him signed up, but doesn't really disprove my point around recruitment strategy.

I don’t really get the argument here - you’re referencing the fact he was in a team that failed to get promoted, but you’re happy he’s signed? Out of curiosity - and this is a serious question - what sort of players would you like to see us sign?

I’m delighted Currie is back - always impressed me at Stranraer and thought he had a really good season with us last year. Really good ‘keeper and helps us maintain some consistency from the squad from last season, in what was clearly a good group in terms of togetherness.

I’m also pleased we’ve got Wardrop too - like I said the other day, he was in my mind when thinking about right backs we could sign for next season. So really pleased he’s chosen to join.

Reckon we’re a backup goalkeeper, centre half and full back away from the defence being sorted now.

Last word from me on the Falkirk thing, as I noticed Ammo referencing it earlier. I get what people are saying but I’m not buying this bigger club stuff.

We are where we are and have been for quite some time - I remember very well, the days we were a 1st division team going on amazing cup runs, reaching the top tier and playing in Europe, but I’m also not naive enough to believe we have any god-given right to things we haven’t earned/achieved in nearly 30 years.

That being said, I still see ourselves in the same bracket as a Falkirk, a Raith or a Dunfermline - in the sense that the potential is there to be much higher in Scottish football, consistently, than we have been in the past decade. All it’ll take is having the right people in place behind the scenes and some shrewd/sensible recruitment to get the best team possible on the park. I genuinely think we’re closer to that now than we have ever been and therein lies my issue with the ‘Falkirk being a better prospect than us’ thing. In my view, we are just as likely to nail our recruitment this year and have a good season leading to promotion as they are, so in what way are they immediately a better prospect?

Like I said before, if it comes down to money, then that is fair enough. This is how these guys put food on the table and I would never hold that against them. However, anything else to me would be disappointing, especially from a player who has explicitly said that his main focus is playing at as high a level as possible.

Time will tell though and wherever the lad goes, I’d wish him all the best, as he’s been great for us and deserves a crack at playing Championship football.

1 hour ago, qos1990 said:

Be more concerned with Kerr leaving than mckay

2 hours ago, qos1990 said:

Good player?

McKay became a real scapegoat for Airdrie fans - largely because of the rumoured influence his father had behind the scenes (though this has never been credibly proven) and our insistence on taking long throw-ins (which wasn’t his fault) rather than his ability IMO. But I’ve always liked him. He played centre mid in 2019/20 and I thought he was our best midfielder that season. He was a decent box-to-box type midfielder who was decent enough at most things without particularly great at any one thing. His best attribute was probably making runs into the opposition’s box from which he actually scored a few times and/or hit the bar or created chances. He didn’t work in midfield last season but I think this was largely down to him being our most experienced midfielder at the start of last season (despite his only senior experience being the season previous with us) and the rest of the midfield being entirely made up of similarly defensive or limited players. He’s a solid right-back and has the athleticism to play there but I think he’s guilty of just hoofing it down the line when he’s at right-back. He can also take a long throw-in. This had some success but this largely became nulled as it became the only thing we ever did at throw-ins and therefore increasingly easy to defend against. With the notable and hilarious exception of Falkirk. His best position for us was probably as a centre-half in a back three though that is from a small sample size. 

He’s definitely not as good as Kerr and doesn’t have as high a ceiling as him either. But even from a versatility standpoint he’s a good player to have in the squad and he’s definitely a bottom-half of the Championship/top-half of League 1 player IMO. 

His brother Jack is a big dumplin’ though. Avoid at all costs.