The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

1 hour ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

You're clearly not an Airdrie fan as this post is far too positive and sensible. 

Aye, it's being a Airdrie fan, must have a effect, I can't get posts to be sensible either, I would rather sign players from the premier league, but shows how much players improve when they have quality round about them, Turner and Paton, 

1 hour ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

So by your reasoning, any team below us can't have decent players in their squad? Really? 

So we should only recruit players from teams above us? 

Yeah that worked well for falkirk didn't it? Sammon, Telfer, Gomis, etc. really set them on fire..... 

My reasoning is that if we are genuinely going to push to be promoted from this division next season, we should be looking to recruit better than what we had last year.

Development projects are hit or miss, and they will not all come good, and then you are stuck for half a season. As we saw last year.

"good enoughs" mean equivalent failures, particularly in the middle of the park.

Signing from teams below us, sure, fine, if they are stand outs. However they aren't, other than perhaps Agnew who is getting on and has a secondary role.

East Fife wouldn't have made the playoffs if Falkirk hadn't simply collapsed after the restart, and there's a reason Dumbarton were 9th, and that reason is the guys on the park weren't good enough to win many games.

Edited by G_H

1 hour ago, G_H said:

My reasoning is that if we are genuinely going to push to be promoted from this division next season, we should be looking to recruit better than what we had last year.

Development projects are hit or miss, and they will not all come good, and then you are stuck for half a season. As we saw last year.

"good enoughs" mean equivalent failures, particularly in the middle of the park.

Signing from teams below us, sure, fine, if they are stand outs. However they aren't, other than perhaps Agnew who is getting on and has a secondary role.

East Fife wouldn't have made the playoffs if Falkirk hadn't simply collapsed after the restart, and there's a reason Dumbarton were 9th, and that reason is the guys on the park weren't good enough to win many games.

The problem for an Airdrie fan is we have had so many false dawns since our Airdrie Utd/ Clydebank days the fan base is dwindling, days of waiting to see which players were not signed up a week before transfer window closed would be end of October before the team got into any gear. To many failed experiments with managers, systems and young up and coming players. 

As for the players who have left all of a sudden they  have became world beaters while it was a good season and some have been good for Airdrie I would not fear coming up against anyone of them. As for the new signings I will just have to wait and see if the management can  build a good team or not.

The good thing about being an Airdrie fan is our passion for the club and we never moan .... much. 

How long in the past has it taken teams to get out this league and its a big challenge for us. I hope there are a few more positive attacking players signed. Need to get the fans back as everyone knows we are the best. 

P&B is superb ♦️

Edited by Eric the half a b

1 hour ago, G_H said:

I am not commenting specifically on the Dumbarton example as i don't really know whether those players are decent. However, football teams have 11 players so it is entirely possible for a team who finished 9th to have one or two players who could move on to better teams. A prime example of this is the boy callachan at Hamilton. Hamilton got relegated yet there is talk of him staying in the premier league and i would think he will get a move to allow him to do this. 

6 minutes ago, Aufc said:

I am not commenting specifically on the Dumbarton example as i don't really know whether those players are decent. However, football teams have 11 players so it is entirely possible for a team who finished 9th to have one or two players who could move on to better teams. A prime example of this is the boy callachan at Hamilton. Hamilton got relegated yet there is talk of him staying in the premier league and i would think he will get a move to allow him to do this. 

An even better example is Max Currie. Relegated with Stranraer but clearly more than capable of playing for us.

19 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Really? He looked a bit pub league v us in the play offs

A few people blamed him for the first goal in the second leg but I don't think that was fair, it was an excellent strike and difficult to deal with. He should've done better with the third which he palmed out into a dangerous area for the rebound but goalies at this level are inevitably going to have a few "should've done better" moments otherwise they wouldn't be playing at this level. He was reliable over the season as a whole and had one ridiculously good performance against Thistle a not long before the playoffs.

Edited by ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds

Just now, Jack Reed said:

Would be fair to say Max Currie went a long way to getting us to the play  offs, a lot of point blank saves , 

Absolutely, people who were saying they would rather Hutton in goals are miles off it

1 hour ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

An even better example is Max Currie. Relegated with Stranraer but clearly more than capable of playing for us.

An even even better better example would be Kevin Nesbit. 

4 years ago, 20yrs old, only 2 goals in 20 games for Ayr. 

Then 0 goals in 9 games for  Dumbarton in 2018. 

Then bang, it all comes together for Raith, Dunfermline, Hibs and now Scotland. 

Young players given the right support can develop well. Rico going full time could be the making of him. Time will tell. 

Talking of Max Currie, really pleased he’s signed up for next season. The defence is going to look pretty different next season after being very settled for a couple of years, so it’s important to try and keep Currie in goals given how good he was after the restart. I felt he was ok in the first half of the season, he never really cost us many goals but also never pulled out any saves I wouldn’t expect him to make. He seemed to really improve after the 4-2 defeat to Thistle though, where admittedly he was very poor, and made some big saves while on our great run. 

I know some of our fans still think David Hutton is better but for me Currie showed over the latter part of the season that he is at least as good, if not better than Hutton and he’ll hopefully improve with age. He’s still pretty young for a keeper but hopefully we can build with him in goals for the next couple of seasons.

49 minutes ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

An even even better better example would be Kevin Nesbit. 

4 years ago, 20yrs old, only 2 goals in 20 games for Ayr. 

Then 0 goals in 9 games for  Dumbarton in 2018. 

Then bang, it all comes together for Raith, Dunfermline, Hibs and now Scotland. 

Young players given the right support can develop well. Rico going full time could be the making of him. Time will tell. 

What's our recent record like on developing young players to a leading League One or a Championship standard, enabling them to play an integral part in a strong push for promotion.

6 hours ago, Ignoramus said:

Players at this level don’t generally care about “ambition”. If they did, then Kelty, EK and Darvel - to name three - wouldn’t be there.

It’s all a cover for more cash in the pocket and I’m not going to blame them for that.

Young players do care because they've still to figure out the limit of their potential.

Established players on a downward trajectory toward the end of their career are probably the ones who are focused more on money than playing at a higher level.

Delighted that Max Currie has signed up. We have not been too blessed with decent keepers in the past few years but I believe he will only go on to get better every season. The defence is starting to shape up well so far in my opinion.

The real test for this club however is to find leadership and creativity in midfield and a proven goal scorer. We can but hope.

19 minutes ago, thediamonddude said:

Max Currie? That keeper that was relegated with Stranraer two seasons ago? Oh no, we’re doomed...doomed I tells ya!

What, the same keeper that played in the team when we didn't get promoted last season, meaning that we are now going into our, what, 9th consecutive season in this division?

Decent keeper, and glad to have him signed up, but doesn't really disprove my point around recruitment strategy.

7 hours ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

Oh, where to start....... 

They're  under performing, recruit piss poor managers and players and have been pumped by us for the last 2 seasons. Oh, and Falkirk didn't even make the play offs last season. 

Not to mention McCann himself saying he wanted a crack at the Championship which Falkirk are not in. 

Hope that helps. 👍

Airdrie has a better ambience than Falkirk also. 

Pleased to see Max Currie signed up for another go around. I think that’s just McCann, Kerr, Walker and Ritchie we're still to hear about? I’m personally looking forward to McCann sacking off Falkirk to stay with the eventual champions and to get to a game next season and finally put a face to Dean Ritchie’s name.