The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

In all seriousness, while it would be a disappointment to see him go to a league rival, football is a short career so I don’t have any malice or resentment to him at all. Best of luck to him. He’ll need it against Airdrie anyway 😉

I think Rico is a solid enough League 1 full-back with the potential to develop into a handy player, particularly with full-time football. As others have said, we were probably never likely to replace the ‘star quality’ of Leon McCann so Rico is probably as good a replacement as you can get. We’ve always been defensively solid under Murray and I see no reason why a defence of Fordyce, Watson, Quitongo and A.N. Other can’t be again. It will be *really* important to add quality in the middle and upfront however. That’s something we’ve struggled with during Murray’s whole tenure until we lucked out on Turner and Paton. He hasn’t had the chance to build his own squad himself yet so hopefully this is something Murray and Agnew are working to address. I like Quitongo’s ‘up at his gran’s bit’ story. 

Also a fan of trying to win the league by signing exclusively handsome players. Kevin Dabrowski will be the next ex Son to sign IMO. 

3 minutes ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

Airdrie fans in negative panic stations shocker. 

I'm sure the 3 signings so far from a mid table team in our division, whom we finished above last season, and relegation fodder are definitely the guys to carry us to the championship 🙄

Edited by G_H

I'm sure the 3 signings so far from a mid table team in our division, whom we finished above last season, and relegation fodder are definitely the guys to carry us to the championship [emoji849]

Well the guys that were there last season couldn’t take us there? Boy hasn’t kicked a ball yet and already been written off.

We were after Liam Dick but he's going to Raith. No idea if we were after McCann but id take him looks a decent player. Dixon I'd expect might play more centre half and no mention of Kelly getting kept on or not. Our next two signings are widely touted as being Nesbitt from Morton and Brad McKay from ICT. We will see. The only other left back we have is the kid Sneddon signed last season from Camelon and I don't see him starting. 

1 hour ago, G_H said:

I'm sure the 3 signings so far from a mid table team in our division, whom we finished above last season, and relegation fodder are definitely the guys to carry us to the championship 🙄

I thought we'd have signed a better level a player other than Quitongo Watson and supposedly Frizzell and Wardrop hardly stuff to be getting excited about league 1 jobbers

2 hours ago, G_H said:

I’m surprised you guys are considering yourselves anywhere near championship contenders. Compared to the Arbroath team that went up a couple years ago, Alloa the year they beat Dumbarton in the playoffs, and the Dumbarton team for the 5 years previous to that. Then you guys are a fair distance away from making that step. 

to be fair to quitongo he’s only 21 and a step into semi full time could really push him on. Wardrop comes from a pretty impressive youth career at Celtic and impressive spells with us in championship prior to his ACL. He’s just not had a decent run at a consistent season since he’s been back fit and is still only 23. 
Frizzel could be magic or infuriating, but killie held on to him longer than they kept hold of Dom Thomas so if he turns out anything like Thomas did if he trains and plays more regularly going semi full time again, then your onto a winner 

6 hours ago, DobbiesAgent said:

I’m surprised you guys are considering yourselves anywhere near championship contenders. Compared to the Arbroath team that went up a couple years ago, Alloa the year they beat Dumbarton in the playoffs, and the Dumbarton team for the 5 years previous to that. Then you guys are a fair distance away from making that step. 

Well that's my point, right? Murray's stated goal for the coming season is to get us out of league 1 in an upward trajectory. This doesn't align with his signings so far, or the other names being linked to us.

Edited by G_H

Can’t disagree with that - these guys are working for a living and if they’re getting more money then fair enough.
That being said, I wouldn’t have thought they’d be offering much more than we are and, taking money out of the equation, I genuinely don’t think they are a better option than us right now so it would be disappointing. 
Ultimately though, I’m of the view that if they don’t want to play for your club, they are as well going.

Forgive my ignorance, but why would Falkirk not be a better option than Airdrie?

Guest Peter LaFleur
16 minutes ago, Trump said:

Forgive my ignorance, but why would Falkirk not be a better option than Airdrie?

Because we capitulated last season and somehow finished below them for the first time in decades.

Edited by Peter LaFleur

21 minutes ago, Trump said:

Personally i think he can do better than Falkirk, i'd be disappointed to see him leave for another team in the league, especially when that team have been in a downward spiral for the last few seasons. I think he go on and comfortably play every week for a Morton, Ayr, qots type of team  

35 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

Personally i think he can do better than Falkirk, i'd be disappointed to see him leave for another team in the league, especially when that team have been in a downward spiral for the last few seasons. I think he go on and comfortably play every week for a Morton, Ayr, qots type of team  

This.

I know that a lot of Falkirk fans still haven’t quite accepted where they are, or have been for the last couple of seasons, but the reality is that they can’t really claim to be a much better option than us at the moment - unless of course, they’re throwing more money around.

McCann has frequently stated that he wants to challenge himself in the Championship - if that’s the case, I don’t see why he’d move to a team in the same league as us, who’ve failed to beat us in their last six attempts and finished below us last season.

His chances of promotion with us are, in my view, just as good as they are with Falkirk.

Guest Peter LaFleur

When Falkirk finished above Hibs in the Championship it didn't automatically make us as attractive to play for because of the league position. They have 3/4x the home support to us, higher payers, more chance to spend high and get it right on the park and of course a far better infrastructure. We absolutely might have another year of failure, which I wouldn't put it past us, but you'd expect it couldn't go anywhere near as bad as last season. With investment into the club from the founder of Orlando City, I expect us to make a better fist of it. Already I feel we are signing far smarter than any of the previous seasons down in this league and we won't be managed by two complete muppets which is a boost. This doesn't mean I think McCann will sign for us, he could go anywhere. Just a reason as to why he may opt for Falkirk if its between us or Airdrie.

Edited by Peter LaFleur

2 minutes ago, Peter LaFleur said:

When Falkirk finished above Hibs in the Championship it didn't automatically make us as attractive to play for because of the league position. They have 3/4x the home support to us, higher payers, more chance to spend high and get it right on the park and of course a far better infrastructure. We absolutely might have another year of failure, which I wouldn't put it past us, but you'd expect it couldn't go anywhere near as bad as last season. With investment into the club from the founder of Orlando City, I expect us to make a better fist of it. Already I feel we are signing far smarter than any of the previous seasons down in this league and we won't be managed by two complete muppets which is a boost. 

I've got to agree with this tbh.  for the few victories we've enjoyed recently over Falkirk, I still think they'll make it out of this league before us.  The signings, and rumored signings Falkirk are making are very smart for this league, still to obviously see how they do on the park but I'm more impressed with the clear out and signings made up Grangemouth way than at home unfortunately.

Guest Peter LaFleur
3 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

I've got to agree with this tbh.  for the few victories we've enjoyed recently over Falkirk, I still think they'll make it out of this league before us.  The signings, and rumored signings Falkirk are making are very smart for this league, still to obviously see how they do on the park but I'm more impressed with the clear out and signings made up Grangemouth way than at home unfortunately.

And regardless of what happens, you will still beat us with ease. I have a lot of time for Airdrie as a club and fan base. A proper football club. In an ideal world we will both go up with one through the playoffs to meet again in the Championship.