The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

1 hour ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

That's all you need in this league. Look at the difference Turner made when he came in, he was literally the difference between us finishing bottom half to us almost winning the league. Yes we altered formation slightly but it was him (and Paton to a lesser extent) that turned round our season.

The best (financially realistic) chance we have of competing is to have 7 or 8 solid League One players, with a quality creative player and a goalscorer and then hope they stay fit. The question is obviously who are those couple of players and how do we get them to sign for us over someone else. But as you say it's completely unrealistic on our budget to expect a team from 1 to 11 of guys who are top players in this division. If we can put together a solid defensive base then hopefully there are funds to get the quality further forward.

Be hard to tempt players now , position of assistent manager, captain and vice captain  already filled, 

13 minutes ago, Spanish Armada said:

Need someone to make the teas that will mibbi tempt Ramsbottom to come from Dumbarton as well

Have to wait and see who will be brought in see if we will be in the mix this season and you know what they say" never hurry a Murray"  could well be minted with new signings 🤪♦️

Edited by Eric the half a b

I like Wardrop and think he’d be an upgrade on Walker (who I do like) or anyone else we had there last season after MacDonald left. Decidedly more meh on Frizzell and Quitongo but if Murray and Agnew believe Frizzell is one of the best wingers in the league and capable of playing at a higher level, fair enough. I’ll defer to their judgement and hope they can get more out of him than Dumbarton have. Likewise with Quitongo. I think Quitongo is probably fine - he’s certainly not on the level McCann is but I’m not sure we could bring in another left-back of his quality at this level anyway (although that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t try obviously).  We were probably lucky to have him in the first place. 

But ultimately, as I’m sure somebody on here said after MacDonald left, it’s not your full-backs who are going to win you this league anyway. It’s much more important we bring in another 2/3/4 quality midfielders and and one or two quality strikers. After we signed Paton and Turner players like Walker, Ritchie, Thomson and O’Reilly suddenly were much more effective. They also brought out the best in others like McCann and Gallagher. I’m not suggesting we’ll sign a player the quality of Turner (because we won’t) but if we can supplement the midfield and forwards with proper quality, guys like Frizzell and Quitongo *should* naturally be taken up a level. Also worth remembering the 2016/17 vintage that conceded 67 goals and still finished in the play-offs because we had two good goalscorers upfront. Whatever happens a defence of, for arguments sake Wardrop, Watson, Fordyce and Quitongo certainly won’t be as bad as that! 

Also worth remembering these are all just rumours coming from the same site that has given us classics like the West Ham loanee. I’ll only believe it once I see them holding a scarf at New Broomfield. 

If we sign Robert Jones I’m chucking it though. 

1 hour ago, Spanish Armada said:

Need someone to make the teas that will mibbi tempt Ramsbottom to come from Dumbarton as well

That's a good shout, maybe  they would be able to take a long throw in, think that would do  

Just now, Jack Reed said:

That's a good shout, maybe  they would be able to take a long throw in, think that would do  

Wonder if that's one of the questions afore they sign? 

Question 1:Are you able to take a long throw?

Quitongo:No 

Murray:Here's a Paul Mckay-How to take a long throw DVD

5 hours ago, G_H said:

If we lose McCann, I'd hope it's to a level up and not to someone in the same division such as Falkirk.

If what I heard today turns out to be true then it is indeed Falkirk McCann is off to.

I've never been one to argue about a player moving for more money. Still have to pay their bills.

8 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

If what I heard today turns out to be true then it is indeed Falkirk McCann is off to.

I've never been one to argue about a player moving for more money. Still have to pay their bills.

Hits bad spot when your best players are going to play against you, it's true a player will be at Airdrie for short spell, fans will always be here, 

8 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Can’t disagree with that - these guys are working for a living and if they’re getting more money then fair enough.

That being said, I wouldn’t have thought they’d be offering much more than we are and, taking money out of the equation, I genuinely don’t think they are a better option than us right now so it would be disappointing. 

Ultimately though, I’m of the view that if they don’t want to play for your club, they are as well going.

3 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

That's all you need in this league. Look at the difference Turner made when he came in, he was literally the difference between us finishing bottom half to us almost winning the league. Yes we altered formation slightly but it was him (and Paton to a lesser extent) that turned round our season.

The best (financially realistic) chance we have of competing is to have 7 or 8 solid League One players, with a quality creative player and a goalscorer and then hope they stay fit. The question is obviously who are those couple of players and how do we get them to sign for us over someone else. But as you say it's completely unrealistic on our budget to expect a team from 1 to 11 of guys who are top players in this division. If we can put together a solid defensive base then hopefully there are funds to get the quality further forward.

The mood music coming from the club is positive with Murray and new captain Fordyce stating wanting to go one better this season....

This doesnt appear to resonate with resigning of the current t squad, is it down to wages ,  ambition ( see first paragraph) or just wanting a new challenge....

Admittedly we finished a close second to Thistle,  were we the second best team in the league technically yes..    As in modern society Murray is going to be judged by his target of winning the title,  I hope we don't use that as a rod to hit him with...

On recruitment we have a fair!y small pond to fish in,   primarily players in our own league,  teams will pick off each other trying g to weaken them, we have done it already with Watson of East Fife and now a proposed trio of players from Dumbarton,  this recruitment is unlikely to end with a flag day at the end of the season though.  You see a lot of posts wanting championship players to improve us,  why would they drop down to a barren wasteland of League 1...

I would think that any  league 1 club with the exception of Falkirk and Alloa would be able to compete  with the Q OS and Morton's of this world for players..

it was only barely 4months ago that all championship clubs were given 500 k by Scot Gov for loss of earnings and to carry out covid testing..  League 1clubs were given 150k , that is a massive difference  unless of course clubs spunked 350 k on testing...

It is still far too early to call, but competitive games start in 5 weeks,   a helluva lot of work to do.

Challenging to win the league? 

Would the players we have signed get into Falkirk or cove teams for next season?

Does this mean Leon's away? 

I work with a guy who's a Falkirk season ticket holder and ok they will most likely have a bigger budget but said their would be uproar if these players signed for them. 

On the Frizzell chat, I think he's struggled with being part-time for the first time in his career. A return to full-time football could do him the world of good. He's got the talent to be an excellent player at this level - he just showed it about four times in his two seasons with us.

Good luck to Rico. He's not the greatest player in the world but he's got a big heart and never shirked a challenge for us. A genuinely lovely guy as well. He even offered me a Jaffa Cake when he was on co-comms last season. He's not anywhere near the level of Leon McCann at the moment, but maybe full-time football can help him kick on a bit.

I’ve got to be honest, I’m quite happy with our business so far, and that includes the addition of Quitongo.

It’s very early days, but look at what we’ve recruited so far...

An experienced League 1 central midfielder who has impressed most of us over the years and clearly has strong leadership skills.

A versatile defender, who is good on the ball and was attracting attention from a Championship club.

A young full-back, at only 21, stepping up to full-time football looking to develop.

I really don’t see anything wrong with any of that - we all know we’ve got a lot of work to do in terms of recruitment, but we’ve made a nice early start and are clearly picking our targets carefully. 

I’m not really sure what else we’re supposed to do - as others have said, you’re not going to throw great money at full-time players and many on here are viewing the part-time guys as not good enough, so where does that leave us?

The way I see it is, a league winning (or even, challenging) team at this level will be made up of hard-working, organised players, supplemented with a wee bit of quality in key areas. Something we are more than capable of putting together.

If, as others are saying, McCann goes to Falkirk, I think Quitongo is as good a replacement as you’ll get and, while I don’t know if the Wardrop rumour is true, I’d be more than happy with him too. We don’t really have a recognised right back at this level and I’ve always been impressed by him.

Think what we also need to remember is that history is littered with successful teams plucking players from so called lesser teams - we’ve experienced this ourselves...

Cardle, Buchanan and Edwards to Dunfermline, Baird and K MacDonald to Raith, and Lamie to Morton, to name a few.

42 minutes ago, Ballboy said:

Challenging to win the league? 

Would the players we have signed get into Falkirk or cove teams for next season?

Does this mean Leon's away? 

I work with a guy who's a Falkirk season ticket holder and ok they will most likely have a bigger budget but said their would be uproar if these players signed for them. 

TBF Falkirk have gone a season and a half with Mark Durnan and Ben Hall in their defence so chances are even you and I would get in their team. 

Speaking of which disappointed Leon McCann is signing for mid-table mediocrity purely to chase the Yankee dollar.