The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

6 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Slightly surprised at that since they've kept on Paul Dixon but I suppose he is getting on. Falkirk probably think we've got a team full of superstars since we always give them a doing, maybe they'll be after a few of ours.

Dixon was moved in one and had been playing left of a back two before Kelly got injured, I'm assuming that is where he will be playing next season.

don't know why, but i've got a funny feeling Paul McKay may also end up at Falkirk.

That’s the only team that I can see him moving to “above us” in the pecking order. He’s played well against them a few times so they’re likely to be the only ones daft enough to sign him.

I’m assuming Paul McKay was offered a new deal and turned it down based on the timeline of the announcement. If that’s the case I find it hilarious that we’ve all spent two years moaning about him being first name on the team sheet (myself included) only for him to up and leave of his own volition. Cheerio Paul.

Suspect O’Reilly will end up in League 2 somewhere. Decent player in there but not consistent enough.

We’re waiting on contracts being accepted for McKay, Currie, Kerr, McCann and Walker is that right?

Only two I’d be bothered about losing are Currie and Kerr.

Currie proved to be a very good goalkeeper - I don’t think I can remember a single error he made out with the play off final when he parried the ball straight into Muirhead’s path.

Kerr showed a lot of promise when he was eventually moved to CB at the end of the season and I’d like to see him continue in that position.

McCann has been good in spells for us, and will no doubt go on to have a good career above this level, but I don’t think he’s irreplaceable.

Walker just didn’t offer enough going forward for a wing back.

McKay was solid enough towards the end of his time with us but didn’t offer a great deal beyond a long throw.

If we lose McCann, I'd hope it's to a level up and not to someone in the same division such as Falkirk.

Not fussed about O'Reilly/McKay. McKay had actually done enough in my book to stay, but this is his level, and wouldn't be capable of handling a step up if we ever get there.

Not impressed with the league 1 players names that are being banded about. They aren't an improvement.

Pleased to have kept Fordyce and Gal

Edited by G_H

If the rumours on the Sons supporters Facebook group thingy (not exactly the most reliable source) are anything to go by you will not only be signing Rico Quitongo but also signing Sam Wardrop and Adam Frizzell from ourselves. I wouldn’t exactly class them as players to mount a title challenge with but you never know.

I’m quite happy with Sam Wardrop, we spent the second half of last season without a proper right back until Scott Walker came in there and I’m not convinced he’s ready to start every week yet. I think I mentioned Wardrop earlier in this thread as someone I’d quite like to see us sign this summer. 

Signing three players from Dumbarton and two from East Fife certainly doesn’t scream title challenge but we’re going to end up with about five or six of last season’s team staying on for next season and on our budget it’s not realistic to sign a full team of guys from the league above. If they can provide a solid base for us to build on and we can add a few quality players on top of that then I think we’ll do alright. I guess we won’t be able to bring in anyone like that until later in the summer though.

13 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Rumours flying round our facebook group that you're making a triple signing of Sons players. Quitongo, Frizzell and Wardrop. Sam Wardrop is a decent addition, won't offer much in an attacking sense but is solid at this level. 

Last season McKay was pulling the strings, this season it’s Stephen Findlay pulling the strings…….

Between Murray, Agnew, Prunty, Gallagher, Wardrop, Quitongo and Frizzell we’re fairly quickly becoming very Dumbarton orientated. I know Dumbarton fans had HiberniSons a few years ago, this time it’s AirdrieoniSons. Plenty of people for their fans to wave to at least. 

1 minute ago, Mr November said:

Between Murray, Agnew, Prunty, Gallagher, Wardrop, Quitongo and Frizzell we’re fairly quickly becoming very Dumbarton orientated. I know Dumbarton fans had HiberniSons a few years ago, this time it’s AirdrieoniSons. Plenty of people for their fans to wave to at least. 

If you send us SeaGal back we'll think about it. 

2 minutes ago, Spanish Armada said:

No one:

Ian murray:Let's sign players from a team that nearly got relegated

Ffs😶

To be fair, 2 of the mooted signings were part of a defence who were joint 3rd in the league for goals conceded (joint with Airdrie, funnily enough). All of our defenders were sought after as soon as the season finished, 3 of them have told us they're moving on and if the rumours are to be believed they're moving to Cove and Airdrie respectively - the rest of our squad have all moved to League 2 at the moment. You had problems at right back and will possibly be losing your left back. It's hardly like Murray has lost his mind, Quitongo and Wardrop could very shrewd signings if they work out. If Frizz delivers what he's capable of more consistently he's an asset to anyone in this league, I'm just not convinced he's got any consistency in him. 

3 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

To be fair, 2 of the mooted signings were part of a defence who were joint 3rd in the league for goals conceded (joint with Airdrie, funnily enough). All of our defenders were sought after as soon as the season finished, 3 of them have told us they're moving on and if the rumours are to be believed they're moving to Cove and Airdrie respectively - the rest of our squad have all moved to League 2 at the moment. You had problems at right back and will possibly be losing your left back. It's hardly like Murray has lost his mind, Quitongo and Wardrop could very shrewd signings if they work out. If Frizz delivers what he's capable of more consistently he's an asset to anyone in this league, I'm just not convinced he's got any consistency in him. 

Yeah i'd be happy enough with the 2 fullbacks, think frizzell will just take craig thomsons seat on the bench if he signs

5 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Once again I’m going to need to be a bit more negative than Moonster here (apologies). Whilst neither of the 3 of them are particularly bad footballers I do think if your aims for the season are to be challenging at the top of the table they are underwhelming signings. As much as our defence was solid last season I do think a lot of that was down to the way the entire team were set up/played with very little attacking intent. In the games where we had to try and go for it a bit we weren’t as effective at the back (Peterhead at home for example). 

If Quitongo and Wardrop are both starters for you then you will have 2 full backs who offer very little going forward. Neither of the two of them will be whipping balls into the box or hitting the byline. Wardrop has a decent engine and will attempt to get forward but I wouldn’t consider him particularly effective in that sense. I think that actually stifled us quite a lot last season.

Frizzell is one of these guys who had a very small handful of very good performances with him being fairly anonymous the rest of the time (over both his spells with us). He clearly has some ability but he just showed it so little.

As I mentioned with Quitongo I do really hope they do well, particularly Wardrop who seems like a really decent guy. Their effort was appreciated. I’m just not convinced they are top of the table type signings but under Murray they well prove me wrong. I certainly wouldn’t write them off.

3 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

5 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

Yeah i'd be happy enough with the 2 fullbacks, think frizzell will just take craig thomsons seat on the bench if he signs

Frizzell is a strange one as he must have some ability as he racked up quite a few premiership appearances with Killie but seems to have lost his way. Didn't look the fittest guy in the world to me.

1 hour ago, Mr November said:

I’m quite happy with Sam Wardrop, we spent the second half of last season without a proper right back until Scott Walker came in there and I’m not convinced he’s ready to start every week yet. I think I mentioned Wardrop earlier in this thread as someone I’d quite like to see us sign this summer. 

Signing three players from Dumbarton and two from East Fife certainly doesn’t scream title challenge but we’re going to end up with about five or six of last season’s team staying on for next season and on our budget it’s not realistic to sign a full team of guys from the league above. If they can provide a solid base for us to build on and we can add a few quality players on top of that then I think we’ll do alright. I guess we won’t be able to bring in anyone like that until later in the summer though.

That's all you need in this league. Look at the difference Turner made when he came in, he was literally the difference between us finishing bottom half to us almost winning the league. Yes we altered formation slightly but it was him (and Paton to a lesser extent) that turned round our season.

The best (financially realistic) chance we have of competing is to have 7 or 8 solid League One players, with a quality creative player and a goalscorer and then hope they stay fit. The question is obviously who are those couple of players and how do we get them to sign for us over someone else. But as you say it's completely unrealistic on our budget to expect a team from 1 to 11 of guys who are top players in this division. If we can put together a solid defensive base then hopefully there are funds to get the quality further forward.