The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

41 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Very pleased at these 2 staying on and the captaincy etc.  Still waiting to see that the lively young winger , but I did mention Tynecastle , although a Dumbarton duff was not on my horizon if that is true.

Also pleased to both are staying.  

We need a statement from the club to say what the targets are for this season.   If we are going to push for a league win the we will need a bigger budget to attract better quality.    If its play offs and budget is the same the expect more signings from clubs at our level.  When I read managers comments saying  this season promotion is the only progress then I'd expect a higher caliber of player to come.   My thoughts are if we are signing players from clubs who finished lower than us last season and fans of these clubs saying the not bothered to lose them then that's not improving the starting 11.  Maybe improve the overall squad unless it's the best players from these teams and their fans are disappointed to lose them.  

Edited by Ballboy

10 hours ago, Passionate said:

Called it,   any more news on the Goodwillie rumour. 😉

Not a chance.   He contracted to clyde till atleast the end of 2023 season so would cost to buy out his contract.  Would add to the cost of losing a good few fans including myself as no way I'd be renewing a season ticket and having to explain to kids why everyone shouts beast everytime he goes near the ball. 

7 hours ago, Diamonds_Are_Forever said:

Seen Dumbarton released a couple of there players Morgan Neill and Rico Quitongo are the only two decent ones that have left would anyone take them next season ?♦️

Wouldn't mind quitongo in if McCann left don't think it'd be a bad replacement, always seemed to be a standout in a poor Dumbarton side.

Speaking of young wingers i see Lewis Moore from hearts has been released, played a few games for hearts and spent the last couple of months of the season at Arbroath, not sure how realistic a signing it would be but these are the type of players i'd like murray to be targeting.

8 hours ago, Diamonds_Are_Forever said:

Seen Dumbarton released a couple of there players Morgan Neill and Rico Quitongo are the only two decent ones that have left would anyone take them next season ?♦️

If McCann leaves I could definitely see us going for Quitongo. It seems like he already has another offer somewhere though, I wouldn’t be surprised if that was Alloa or East Fife rather than us as we’re presumably still trying to keep McCann. Hard to read into things too much but hopefully this means he’s staying for another year: 

2 hours ago, Mr November said:

If McCann leaves I could definitely see us going for Quitongo. It seems like he already has another offer somewhere though, I wouldn’t be surprised if that was Alloa or East Fife rather than us as we’re presumably still trying to keep McCann. Hard to read into things too much but hopefully this means he’s staying for another year: 

Hopefully that is the case but I wouldn't read too much into it since Turner and Crighton both replied as well. I'm sure they're all pals and would be chuffed to see someone be made captain or vice captain even if they're at different teams next season. If McCann is away I'd be happy to see Quitongo as his replacement, always thought he looked good in games against us.

17 hours ago, GoalForAirdrie said:

Surely they’re just rumours for a reason. The guy will have this season, win or bust, promotion or most likely lose his job. I highly doubt he’ll sign a full team of mediocre league 1 players. 

Unless you're really splashing the cash, you tend to find that players from a divison(s) above are a few weeks into the close season. They usually take their time to see if there is anyone bigger sniffing around them before going down a level.

3 hours ago, Mr November said:

I'm neither up nor down with regards McCann as i thought he was one that was found wanting against Morton. Perhaps league 1 is his limit.

if McCann leaves, how would you feel about Keiran MacDonald returning from Raith? I see he's been released and wants to stay part time which is fair enough.  They've also released a couple of players I'd be more than happy to offer something but thats down to the player obviously.  The boys Armstrong, Ugwu and Duku looked decent as well.

just a thought 😊

4 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

if McCann leaves, how would you feel about Keiran MacDonald returning from Raith? I see he's been released and wants to stay part time which is fair enough.  They've also released a couple of players I'd be more than happy to offer something but thats down to the player obviously.  The boys Armstrong, Ugwu and Duku looked decent as well.

just a thought 😊

Never ever rated Mcdonald thought he was overrated so nah I'll pass,would rather have Quitongo 

4 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

just a thought 😊

Think a fee would be involved as he is contracted for another year at Raith and he said "his phone hasn't stopped ringing" since he was made available. Miles ahead of McCann in my book but probably now outside our wage structure.

47 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

just a thought 😊

McDonald would be a good signing, 

2 hours ago, Tory Boy said:

Unless you're really splashing the cash, you tend to find that players from a divison(s) above are a few weeks into the close season. They usually take their time to see if there is anyone bigger sniffing around them before going down a level.

Absolutely spot on. 

2 hours ago, Tory Boy said:

Aye your probably right, waiting to see if  Cove, queen's Park or Kelty Hearts  are interested,