The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

Just now, cb_diamond said:

The club literally stated the opposite at Xmas time did they not? Where did you hear this from? More vague ITK stuff??

8 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

First i've heard, He was under contract i can't see the club terminating it personally if there's a chance we can still get a small fee for him

Just now, cb_diamond said:

The club literally stated the opposite at Xmas time did they not? Where did you hear this from? More vague ITK stuff??

Nah I spoke to Thomas just after the season had ended in Glasgow he said his time at the club was up and the club deemed him surplus to requirements for next season and was moving back in with his parents back in France 

29 minutes ago, G_H said:

Would prefer if we dont end up with a squad of league 1 jobbers that no one else really wants 👍

I think this is a real danger tbh. As utterly "meh" as Sabitani turned out to be and as much as Robert's game wasn't suited to League 1 and rendered him fairly ineffective they were marquee signings that got everyone buzzing. That type of thing will be in very short supply this year I suspect. Hope I'm wrong, worried I won't be.

35 minutes ago, Spanish Armada said:

Nah I spoke to Thomas just after the season had ended in Glasgow he said his time at the club was up and the club deemed him surplus to requirements for next season and was moving back in with his parents back in France 

If the club have rendered a genuine sellable asset as surplus to requirements then it's quite the example of mismanagement from the top. Baffling and ridiculous if true.

Judging by what we've signed and rumoured to be signing I'm more than underwhelmed. A lot of people praised Murray's recruitment recently but imo it was a fluke. I have no confidence in the guy to take us forward.

32 minutes ago, Spanish Armada said:

It's yer man Murray biggest head on the planet

So Murray has pulled a power move and cancelled an in demand players contract when he didn't even have the power to pick the bloody team last year? Not buying that for a single second.

4 minutes ago, Diamond8 said:

Judging by what we've signed and rumoured to be signing I'm more than underwhelmed. A lot of people praised Murray's recruitment recently but imo it was a fluke. I have no confidence in the guy to take us forward.

Imo I would agree on the manager not aggressive enough for me and hope the new assistant will help him on that front. Of the players released some have been decent for us at times some have been a waste of a wage not surprised at the list. There are a couple  of the remaining players want to move up a level and fair play to them. We obviously need a number of players to come in and hopefully soon ♦️

12 minutes ago, Diamond8 said:

Surely they’re just rumours for a reason. The guy will have this season, win or bust, promotion or most likely lose his job. I highly doubt he’ll sign a full team of mediocre league 1 players. 

11 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

So Murray has pulled a power move and cancelled an in demand players contract when he didn't even have the power to pick the bloody team last year? Not buying that for a single second.

Agreed - load of nonsense.

6 minutes ago, GoalForAirdrie said:

Surely they’re just rumours for a reason. The guy will have this season, win or bust, promotion or most likely lose his job. I highly doubt he’ll sign a full team of mediocre league 1 players. 

Exactly this - we’ve signed two players (one of whom is assistant manager) and everyone we’ve released/who have not re-signed are players we expected to go or are okay with leaving. 

It always baffles me when folk right managers/players off before anything has happened or they’ve seen anything.

Chill.

5 hours ago, Spanish Armada said:

It's Frizzell,heard today lol

Threw me of the scent when we  mentioned "young " winger as I was thinking 19-21 year old. Remember him playing last season, never looked particularly fit to me.

Thomas Robert was at the Monaco Grand Prix literally the weekend of the Morton game and is still in France (there's picture evidence of both on his Instagram) so unless folk have caught him at the airport or been sliding into his DMs I doubt he's been having conversations with anyone. And I don't think him being in France atm is a sign that he's there for good or definitely been released. He'd have went back at the end of the season to visit family and friends (who he hasn't seen for a year) regardless. Maybe he has been released - fair cop if he has - but if that is the case I don't know why the club wouldn't have just included him in the list with everyone else. There's no reason not to. For a start his agent(s) would want to be publicly hawking him ASAP if he's now a free agent. I wouldn't be overly surprised if Murray wants him away but given that the plan all along was to put him in the shop window at Airdrie and then sell him on I don't see why the club, or Robert's agent(s), would no longer want to do that. Especially given any sort of transfer fee or add-ons can only benefit the club and his agent will want their cut also, which they've been trying their damnedest the whole season to get. FWIW I don't think Robert will be at Airdrie next season whatever happens. But it would be monumentally daft to let him go for nothing when there will be a club out there somewhere who'll be willing to spend money to take a punt on him. That or he was never really under contract for this coming season at all and the club and his agents were talking shite which I suppose is equally or even more likely 😂

Also the season hasn't even been over a week. Way too early to be passing judgement on what our squad will look like. We've only signed two players! Which is two more than most teams. Save the doom n gloom for the Euros or insert other sport here. 

2 hours ago, Diamond8 said:

Aye, Turner part of the deal, Paton  is his mate, 

Delighted to have Fordyce and Gallagher signed. I've posted about Fordyce recently but he's been our most consistent and arguably best player over the last two years, barely missing a minute. He's a very easy choice for our new captain too. There's not many, if any, centre backs I'd swap him for at this level so really pleased he's signed up again.

Gallagher had a slow start this season he turned up in some big moments after the restart and is a proven scorer at this level, another very easy choice to keep on for next season. I never had him down as a captain but he's a good professional and fairly experienced at this point. With the amount of games Fordyce plays I suppose he won't be wearing the armband too much anyway!

18 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Delighted to have Fordyce and Gallagher signed. I've posted about Fordyce recently but he's been our most consistent and arguably best player over the last two years, barely missing a minute. He's a very easy choice for our new captain too. There's not many, if any, centre backs I'd swap him for at this level so really pleased he's signed up again.

Gallagher had a slow start this season he turned up in some big moments after the restart and is a proven scorer at this level, another very easy choice to keep on for next season. I never had him down as a captain but he's a good professional and fairly experienced at this point. With the amount of games Fordyce plays I suppose he won't be wearing the armband too much anyway!

Big sexy b*****ds. Wonderful news! Currie, Kerr, McCann and P. McKay next please.