The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

1 minute ago, AJ77 said:

I thought sometimes he was a bit of a bombscare with us tbh this season mistiming header, just didn't look comfy with the ball at his feet but i'd like to think he'd do a good job in league 2, very rarely injured as well should be a good guy to have in the dressing room.

I think it's a given Mckay will get a new deal, wouldn't be surprised to see Jack get one either. Thought Paul look better in the back 3 and out the way off everything

Please God not Jack, and i'm an atheist!

5 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Rumours abound that Sean Crighton will join Stenhousemuir. What kind of player are we getting? From my knowledge, he's a fair ordinary meat-and-potatoes defender, and that makes him more than good enough to hang with the jobbing strikers in League 2.

Pretty much exactly that. He’s not the quickest but he’s big, strong and good in the air. He had a poor season this year and we we looked much better when Josh Kerr replaced him towards the end of the season but he’s been a solid defender for us during his time here. Even before this season he was prone to the odd mistake, generally due to his poor passing, but that’s the case with most defenders at this level.  He would be an excellent signing for Stenhousemuir, while I’m not too fussed about him leaving he’s still more than capable of playing in League One, albeit not at the top end anymore. He seems like a great guy too and he’s been a great ambassador for Airdrie, I think you’d struggle to find many fans who don’t wish him well if he ends up at Stenhousemuir.

I'm not overly fussed about any of the players leaving but I would have been happy to have kept Crighton around as back-up. I sincerely wish them all the best. Crighton should get a decent move no bother, whether that's Stenny or elsewhere, and I really hope Roy is able to make a success of himself somewhere. 

Hopefully get as many of the rest of the players signed up as possible. On top of the 2-3 midfielders we already needed that's at the very least a centre-half, goalkeeper and a couple of strikers to add to the shopping list now. 

18 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Rumours abound that Sean Crighton will join Stenhousemuir. What kind of player are we getting? From my knowledge, he's a fair ordinary meat-and-potatoes defender, and that makes him more than good enough to hang with the jobbing strikers in League 2.

He's very much a meat and potatoes, kick and head the ball the way's facing centre-half. He's good at that though and he could still a job for most League 1 teams let alone in League 2. He did struggle at times this season, especially against teams who press high or have a bit of pace upfront and his distribution is awful. But he's still a decent no thrills centre-half for this level and I'd have definitely been happy to have kept him on. He's also a brilliant captain, ambassador for the club and presence in the changing room. He's helped out with coaching the team this season as well and I believe he coaches for Accies' academy so he could prove useful in that capacity also. 

Wherever he goes I wish him all the best. Partner him with someone decent and he could be a very shrewd addition for Stenny.  

45 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

Maybe would've kept Sean for backup, but could see this season he wasn't at his best hopefully gets a move soon top professional.

As for the others 100% no complaints, pretty clear Murray fancies O'Riley over Thomson and Gallagher over Roy be as well trying to fresh things up,

Currie, Kerr, Fordyce and Carrick should be priority for new contracts imo 

Would not surprise me if Carrick moves on, 

Slightly surprised about Crighton going, not overly fussed about the release list, it creates space for improvement.

Not really surprised or in much disagreement with the "try to retain" list either, though I don't see much point in Pyott (maybe he makes a really good cup of tea?), and O'Reilly and Richie both need to improve to justify their roles.

A lot of next season will be shaped based on whoever stays from those not released.

2 minutes ago, G_H said:

Slightly surprised about Crighton going, not overly fussed about the release list, it creates space for improvement.

Not really surprised or in much disagreement with the "try to retain" list either, though I don't see much point in Pyott (maybe he makes a really good cup of tea?), and O'Reilly and Richie both need to improve to justify their roles.

A lot of next season will be shaped based on whoever stays from those not released.

I'd completely forgotten about Ritchie until you just mentioned him. That's a surprise as he wasn't even trusted to play centre mid ahead of O'Reilly, Carrick or Robert in the play-off final (aye I'm still not over it) but Murray must see something in him. Our midfield requires the biggest overhaul but I suppose he might do as a cheap squad player. 

I should say as well thank you to big Sean for his service over the years. He's been a great stalwart, ambassador and presence for the club over the years and that sort of thing shouldn't be underestimated. His time as a first choice centre-half at our level was definitely on the wane but I've no doubt he can still do it at a decent level. I wish him all the best in his playing and no doubt future coaching career. 

As others have said, I wouldn't have been surprised if we'd kept Crighton, Thomson and Roy as back-up or squad players. But the fact that Murray obviously thinks he can do better is a bit exciting and bold. The last two seasons we've built squads with Murray and Stuart Millar at the helm. But Murray's three signings on his own so far have been Turner, Paton and Agnew which have all been pretty spot on. Hopefully the same can be said for the rest of the squad he puts together come next season! 

I’m quite surprised to see those three go, Murray’s been more ruthless than I expected. 

The bit I thought was interesting from the article re Crichton was “With Sean now deciding that the time is right for a new challenge”. Suggests he wanted to move on or at least it was mutual. Either way I think the team/squad generally needs refreshed so not a big deal as long as we sign an able replacement.

7 hours ago, Old Diamond said:

Aye Well the die has been cast on the managerial front, not totally convinced but sometimes it is better the Devil you know etc.  Happy to see that it is a one year extension as if he does not do the business this coming season then he should definitely not be given longer, that said it might give the management team the motivation to succeed.  Given the trouble Falkirk are having selecting a suitable replacement we have probably done the best we can.

As has already been said it is now up to Murray and Aitken to find a squad that can achieve promotion, this league is winnable this year - Falkirk are still in a mess, Cove are not invincible, Alloa are possibly on the wain and I am not convinced about this so called Juggernaut that is Queens Park, we managed 2nd this year despite not being consistent, so if we can get rid of the dead wood and bring in some good signings we potentially could just do it.  You don't often  hear me being optimistic but I think this could be the best chance we have had for many years.

I agree with your post but did you mean Agnew, or have I missed something and we are getting the guy from East Kilbride?

4 hours ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Big Sean, Ally Roy and Craig Thomson, 3 of the more "high profile" departures.

Skipper Sean among those moving on (airdriefc.com)

It is always sad to see someone like Sean move on and it does look like he was not pushed out, given all his contributions over the 2 periods. I think we need to build our defence around Kerr/Fordyce and more debatable for some fans, Paul McKay.( If signed) Roy and Thomson were light weight squad players but I do hope O'Reilly will ( if signed) be played as a winger.  What our squad will turn out to be is unknown yet but none of the others released would have improved it. 

2 hours ago, airdrieman said:

Has to be Robert's goal against Forfar for me - utter filth. Though I was tempted to vote for Thomson's v Falkirk for the scenes. Because what's a goal for if it isn't the scenes? 

I voted for Gal's third against Cove for the scenes and it's importance but Robert did score some crackers. 

1 hour ago, Chapelhall chap said:

I voted for Gal's third against Cove for the scenes and it's importance but Robert did score some crackers. 

Voted the same, instinct  showed through, Forfar goal had to do with a gale blowing, 

5 hours ago, AJ77 said:

I thought sometimes he was a bit of a bombscare with us tbh this season mistiming header, just didn't look comfy with the ball at his feet but i'd like to think he'd do a good job in league 2, very rarely injured as well should be a good guy to have in the dressing room.

I think it's a given Mckay will get a new deal, wouldn't be surprised to see Jack get one either. Thought Paul look better in the back 3 and out the way off everything

Only my opinion would get short off both, if we sign Jack  we have made wrong decision with manager, 

Ruthless business releasing Crighton, was very much the right thing to do for both parties. Wouldn't really add much to the release list other than Ritchie and Carrick, I think we can do better but that remains to be seen.

Absolutely gutted to see big Sean go, but I can understand the logic behind it. He’s been a superb servant to the club over his two spells and could still do a job for someone at this level.

Generally quite content with the release list and happy with those we are re-negotiating with. 

Team shaping up something like this...

Currie

Walker - Fordyce - Kerr - McCann

O’Reilly - Agnew - P.McKay - Robert

Gallagher - Carrick 

Obviously we have an additional CM in Ritchie and CF in Pyott and it may well be that the likes of Robert and McCann will move on, but it’s a decent core to build on.

Would be looking for a GK, FB, CB, Wx2, CMx2 and STx2 to ensure we have a bit of depth, but with quality as well.

Looking forward to the next bit of signing news!

Edited by thediamonddude