The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

12 hours ago, CapitalDiamond said:

Podcast up. There’s only one John O’Brien.

Interesting chat on the players who have come through in these games. I think Scott Walker will be one who gives us "no regrets", and Jack McKay will always be remembered for  that heroic equaliser.  If optimistic podcasters won us promotion , I hope the players are as eager as Andy and Emma , and Colin. I do hope it won't be Kiki Dee 's  "Dont go  breaking my heart" that is the song Emma hears, more Abba's "The winner takes it all".  John O'Brien can come up and make me smile once more when we get back to live action.  Roll on  for a Ruby Tuesday.

2 hours ago, Jack Reed said:

Starting line up for Tues, Currie,Walker fordyce Crighton McCann, Robert Turner McKay Carrick, Roy Gallagher, obvious changes if Paton ad Kerr  were fit , 

There's no chance of changing from the 3-5-2 which has seen us go on this great run. The injuries to Kerr and Paton do present an issue but I think whatever workaround we can find will be a better option than going to a different system. Going from 3 centre backs with 3 centre midfielders in front to 2 centre backs and 2 centre midfielders would be a very high risk strategy at this point.

I think he'll just go with Ritchie, Turner and Carrick in midfield, Crighton in for Kerr obviously and Roy in for Connell. Other option is move Carrick up front with Gallagher and playing Robert as the number 10, with Turner and Ritchie sitting. Not perfect solution but not sure what else we can do without changing the system.

10 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

There's no chance of changing from the 3-5-2 which has seen us go on this great run. The injuries to Kerr and Paton do present an issue but I think whatever workaround we can find will be a better option than going to a different system. Going from 3 centre backs with 3 centre midfielders in front to 2 centre backs and 2 centre midfielders would be a very high risk strategy at this point.

I think he'll just go with Ritchie, Turner and Carrick in midfield, Crighton in for Kerr obviously and Roy in for Connell. Other option is move Carrick up front with Gallagher and playing Robert as the number 10, with Turner and Ritchie sitting. Not perfect solution but not sure what else we can do without changing the system.

Aye, I am not sure why I left Ritchie out, with the early change last game  he didn't seem to adapt to well , I do think he will go with a back 4, it's really bad luck if not one of the three make it, think we really need our strongest 11 to get a result. Here's hoping anyway we get a good result on Tues and finish the job on Friday ♦️♦️

12 hours ago, Diamond10 said:

Has it been confirmed Paul Paton won’t play any part of either game ? His loss would be huge imo. 

Only one I’ve seen confirmed as missing out is Connell. I suspect they might keep it quiet but perhaps we’ll hear either way tomorrow! 

No doubt there'll be an update in todays match preview. 

My thoughts are that this game might come too soon for Paton but he could be back for Friday. Kerr, well, a groin injury is anyone's guess. He's been solid in recent games but most likely overplayed so soon after a big operation. I'd be doubtful of him making either match. Between those 2 and Connell, it's 3 big blows, but an absolute opportunity for others to step in and become heroes. Who'd have thought Jack McKay would be the hero last week? Not me but he did the job. 

Crichton in for Kerr is solid, if not pretty, but solid is what we need for the next 2 battles.

Paton's replacement will probably be Ritchie, for whom the jury is still out for me. I'd rather see Sabatini get a chance but I think we all know that ain't gonna happen. 

For Connell, we could see Roy or Robert get drafted in. Both have the ability to change a game. Robert with his skill, Roy with his pace. 

In Murray we trust. 

Edited by Glenmavis Diamond

We got together with Dean McKinnon of The Morton Forum and their Just One Cornetto Podcast last night to discuss the rivalry between the 2 clubs, the season so far and what victory/defeat would mean for each of us.

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/otl-podcast/id1458037240#episodeGuid=tag%3Asoundcloud%2C2010%3Atracks%2F1050126532

On Soundcloud, Spotify, Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, Deezer just search OTL Podcast

That's me caught up with my match reports, all of which can be found at the link below. 

Every league match this season, a couple of the pre-season friendlies and a couple of the league cup games. And of course, the two playoff legs thus far.  

https://www.idlehandsduffy.com/blog/categories/fitba

Anyway, as I argued on the OTL podcast, this is better than winning the league for me. Tomorrow, I am going inside the pub for a cupla pints then heading to the football. It's not much in the grand scheme of things, but it will be some feeling nonetheless. We only get this because the players have fought tooth and nail to get us to this stage and showed such tremendous guts and bloody-minded determination last week to push themselves through. 

It was magnificent and I'm genuinely incredibly grateful that we've got this opportunity. Kudos to the players, the manager and the staff. Sensational. I said repeatedly that I thought the winner of the Cove and Airdrie tie would end up going through so I won't try and walk that back now that it's us, but I do think we're more than capable of sticking a few on them tomorrow night. A win and a clean sheet and I fancy us to see it through at Cappielow. 

Connell will be a massive miss, a warrior who can make and score goals, occupy defenders and lift the attacking verve of the side. Kerr was a colossus upon his return and if he misses as well, as expected, then he'll also be a big miss. Paton, the same. I don't expect our midfield to be as overrun as it was by Cove, though. 

Anyone have a shout for player of the year, or are we better waiting until after Friday? 

5 minutes ago, AndyDD said:

Anyone have a shout for player of the year, or are we better waiting until after Friday? 

For me it's Carrick for the first part of the season, and Turner since the return. Turner is maybe a controversial shout since he hasn't played that  many games but he's been so fundamental in our run to the play-off final in a way that no other player has (as well as the rest of the squad have been playing). My 'rule' for Young Player of the Year is that it has to be a player who hasn't played more than 10 games or made a significant contribution before the current season. For instance, Leon McCann is eligible for the award due to his age but is essentially too experienced or over-qualified to meet my own criteria. Which means really it's a straight shoot-out between Thomas Robert and Kyle Connell for me. 

1 minute ago, airdrieman said:

For me it's Carrick for the first part of the season, and Turner since the return. Turner is maybe a controversial shout since he hasn't played that  many games but he's been so fundamental in our run to the play-off final in a way that no other player has (as well as the rest of the squad have been playing). My 'rule' for Young Player of the Year is that it has to be a player who hasn't played more than 10 games or made a significant contribution before the current season. For instance, Leon McCann is eligible for the award due to his age but is essentially too experienced or over-qualified to meet my own criteria. Which means really it's a straight shoot-out between Thomas Robert and Kyle Connell for me. 

I can see the logic behind all of that, aye. 

Josh Kerr comes into the conversation for me. He was a solid presence up to the break even as a midfielder, and a colossus when he came back from injury, which we initially thought would keep him out all season. Fordyce has been steady and reliable again. 

Then again, how vital have Gal's goals been during the business end of the season? Huge. 

O'Reilly in with a shout for young player? Might have played too many games for your criteria mind you, but especially when we came back from the break, he made a real difference and it's a shame he has missed the last wee batch of games with injury. Was getting better all the time. Connell has been brilliant and we can all see Robert has the potential. 

The lad should spend another season with us to continue his development, in the Championship... 

48 minutes ago, AndyDD said:

Josh Kerr comes into the conversation for me. He was a solid presence up to the break even as a midfielder, and a colossus when he came back from injury, which we initially thought would keep him out all season. Fordyce has been steady and reliable again. 

Then again, how vital have Gal's goals been during the business end of the season? Huge. 

O'Reilly in with a shout for young player? Might have played too many games for your criteria mind you, but especially when we came back from the break, he made a real difference and it's a shame he has missed the last wee batch of games with injury. Was getting better all the time. Connell has been brilliant and we can all see Robert has the potential. 

The lad should spend another season with us to continue his development, in the Championship... 

Agree with this, for me it’s between Fordyce and Kerr. Fordyce for being as reliable as ever all season. Kerr for playing through an injury that we all knew nothing about. I think we’ll struggle to keep both regardless if we go up!

2 hours ago, Stevo1968 said:

Agree with this, for me it’s between Fordyce and Kerr. Fordyce for being as reliable as ever all season. Kerr for playing through an injury that we all knew nothing about. I think we’ll struggle to keep both regardless if we go up!

I'd like to think we could hold on to them if we go up! You might well be right, though. 

5 hours ago, AndyDD said:

He won't spend another season sitting on the bench, 

Too early to be definitive about POTY etc but I can see Fordyce repeating last time( I hope i am correct) and I will boldly go for Scott walker as the YPOTY. Very strong case for Gal for all these goals. I would have the Team OTY if  ( when) we go up as it has been a momentous effort in last months. All printed out for Covid secure visit-will I recognise anyone behind the mask? 

9 hours ago, AndyDD said:

That's me caught up with my match reports, all of which can be found at the link below. 

Every league match this season, a couple of the pre-season friendlies and a couple of the league cup games. And of course, the two playoff legs thus far.  

https://www.idlehandsduffy.com/blog/categories/fitba

Anyway, as I argued on the OTL podcast, this is better than winning the league for me. Tomorrow, I am going inside the pub for a cupla pints then heading to the football. It's not much in the grand scheme of things, but it will be some feeling nonetheless. We only get this because the players have fought tooth and nail to get us to this stage and showed such tremendous guts and bloody-minded determination last week to push themselves through. 

It was magnificent and I'm genuinely incredibly grateful that we've got this opportunity. Kudos to the players, the manager and the staff. Sensational. I said repeatedly that I thought the winner of the Cove and Airdrie tie would end up going through so I won't try and walk that back now that it's us, but I do think we're more than capable of sticking a few on them tomorrow night. A win and a clean sheet and I fancy us to see it through at Cappielow. 

Connell will be a massive miss, a warrior who can make and score goals, occupy defenders and lift the attacking verve of the side. Kerr was a colossus upon his return and if he misses as well, as expected, then he'll also be a big miss. Paton, the same. I don't expect our midfield to be as overrun as it was by Cove, though. 

There's a great Corries tune-Sound the Pibroch - but getting John O'Brien to furnish you with an even better opening line, is smart work. I was almost reliving the game as I read this post but it was less stressful than the actual night, thank goodness. Was rereading an OTL mag from 2016-17 today and it told of us of the arrival of one Jack McKay-- I don't think he had a great spell then but being a hypocrite I am delighted he came back in 2021!  Lots of nerves in the last few weeks so let's go and do this now.

I think Airdrieonians will do it.

at one stage I thought they were going to win the title. You have some great players. A lot of very decent loans too.

Airdrie and Cove are easily capable of competing a division above I would think 

They face big competition for trying to retain players- would think a number of teams will be looking at Robert, Turner, Currie etc etc. Though obviously I have no idea the size of the Airdrieonians budget 

i know there was some question marks by diamonds supporters about Murray. What’s the feeling now

Edited by third lanark