The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

Genuinely one of the best things about the streaming is the commentary. Big john is absolutely tremendous. I persuaded my boss to watch the game last night (aberdeen fan) and she commented that he made the game even more enjoyable. When he starts playing the vuevuezela (f**k knows if that is what it was or the spelling) at the end it just rounded the night off.

43 minutes ago, Aufc said:

Genuinely one of the best things about the streaming is the commentary. Big john is absolutely tremendous. I persuaded my boss to watch the game last night (aberdeen fan) and she commented that he made the game even more enjoyable. When he starts playing the vuevuezela (f**k knows if that is what it was or the spelling) at the end it just rounded the night off.

Still buzzing after last night great fight and who knows 2 games anything can happen. J's horn will be one of those moments never forgotten lol superb ♦️

Can't add much to Mr November etc and I thought the tactic of playing Dean Ritchie went awol when Paton went off, as we took ages to sort out which let Fyfie pretty much run the game. Cove did look better but Currie was rarely troubled -the first 4 goals could all be seen as poor defending but having seen Thomson's drive and cross that was a thing of simple beauty, with Gal doing what he has in the last 6 weeks. A weeks recovery could see Connell back but we just need to get on with it. When I saw Colin Steven was the Ref I had a "Aw Naw" moment and he appeared to be so fussy penalising Gallagher for challenging , but he got it right with the injury time and Red Carding Hartley.  Exciting night and Cove deserve credit as well.

12 hours ago, Mr November said:

What a team! We were very poor in the 90 minutes, didn't show the same urgency we have in recent weeks but fair play to the team, they showed up in the big moments tonight. It would have been very easy to go missing after both Cove goals, the latter particularly, but both times we equalised very shortly after and then went on to get the winner in extra time. I don't think this team had the character to do that six weeks ago but there's certainly a belief there now that even when we're playing poorly we can still dig out a result. 

We were very unfortunate with injuries tonight. Losing Paton so early on was a massive blow, he's been excellent since he came back from injury and we really missed his composure in front of the back three. Having to reshuffle things and move Turner and Carrick made us a bit disjointed and we never really got going after that. We had the same thing in the second half too, losing Kerr at half-time and then Connell seemed to pick up a few knocks in quick succession before going off. Hopefully Kerr, Paton and Connell are back for next week as all three have been excellent recently but I fear that's the last we'll see of the latter two this season. 

I thought Calum Gallagher was immense tonight. He didn't get particularly great service as usual but he never stopped chasing down balls or running the channels and gave the Cove defence a tough night. He did what he does best too, being in the right place at the right time to score vital goals. 

Also shout out to Ian Murray. I've been critical of his use of subs this season but bringing on Thomson in extra-time changed the game. I'd be hesitant to start Thomson next week, his best performances have been as an impact sub, but he's been much improved over the last few weeks. The injuries didn't help us in terms of substitutions and we had to take Dean Ritchie off as he looked lost but McKay came on to get the equaliser and Thomson set up the winner, can't ask for much more than that. 

I'm glad we have a week before the next game, the players must be exhausted with the amount of games we've played recently, especially with most of them being hugely important for us. Hopefully we can continue our good Tuesday night home form, ideally with fans in the stadium!

Agree with a lot of this Mr N, although I don't actually think we were that bad - and I think a lot of it can be  blamed on the two first half injuries - I think 30 seconds before half time the idea would have been to put either Kerr or McKay into midfield to properly replace Paton, but Kerr's own injury stopped that. Barring the scramble in extra time where they hit the bar I can't think of any especially nervous moments.

Agree about Murray as well - he was dealt a fairly poor hand with Kerr and Paton both being injured (and no Sabatini on the bench) and adapted us well. Young Walker in what must only be his 7th or 8th senior appearance moving to play centre mid coped very well - credit to Murray for being brave enough to play a relatively untested player over the last few weeks - and his final two subs in Thomson and McKay really came up with the big moments. I saw it mentioned on the match thread that it was a big test for him personally, and if it was he certainly passed. We seem to have a great fighting spirit and while we're capable of playing good stuff we're getting the results even when we don't play all that well. Bring on Morton!

For me, apart from the sound synch issue, he's the worst part of it. Partisan in the extreme, cannot accept simple things like both teams taking yards at throw ins and is horrified when the opposition do it. Screaming for fouls when there are none, disputing every referee or assistant decision going against us. Needs muted.

Seen Kerr say on Twitter that it’s a reoccurrence of his injury, gutted for him personally but it’s a big dent in our promotion hopes aswell as missing Paton potentially! Would have Kerr as my POTY with the difference he’s made on his return...
That's damaging for us going into the Morton game and must be soul destroying for him.

33 minutes ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:
5 hours ago, Aufc said:

For me, apart from the sound synch issue, he's the worst part of it. Partisan in the extreme, cannot accept simple things like both teams taking yards at throw ins and is horrified when the opposition do it. Screaming for fouls when there are none, disputing every referee or assistant decision going against us. Needs muted.

Yeah i can understand why people have this opinion but, to me, it makes it more genuine and authentic. Its a bit car crash but adds to the enjoyment. He was a bit more "partisan" last night probably due to the importance of the game but i have found he has been pretty fair over the last few games. 

17 hours ago, Stevo1968 said:

Seen Kerr say on Twitter that it’s a reoccurrence of his injury, gutted for him personally but it’s a big dent in our promotion hopes aswell as missing Paton potentially! Would have Kerr as my POTY with the difference he’s made on his return...

That's gutting if so. Him, Paton and Connell have been a fundamental part of our recent run of form. I'd love to see them all back next week but it's looking unlikely. Crighton is of course a solid defender and we all know what he offers but I think Kerr has been a real colossus at the back since he returned and he's much a better out ball than Crighton.  I believe Connell went off with a concussion, and he looked to pick up some other knocks, so depending on protocol he could be out. Paton for me will be the biggest miss though. We saw how badly we missed him when he went off. Ritchie just isn't up to the same standard and Paton brings out the best in Turner, Ritchie, Carrick and whoever else is playing middle to front. I've no idea what the Morton midfield is like TBH but it could be a real struggle in there if he isn't playing. Is there a limit to the number of players on the bench for the play-off games btw? Just wondering as we've obviously had a more limited bench the last two games than we've had every league game. I know Murray obviously doesn't rate him, and he hasn't played in months, but we could have done with Sabatini in the midfield last night - even just as an extra body. TBH I'd rather he played in there than Ritchie. I'm still not entirely sure what Ritchie is meant to offer and IMO Sabatini would have done a better job of getting to grips with Fyvie. 

4 hours ago, TheBuckfastTriangle said:

Agree with a lot of this Mr N, although I don't actually think we were that bad - and I think a lot of it can be  blamed on the two first half injuries - I think 30 seconds before half time the idea would have been to put either Kerr or McKay into midfield to properly replace Paton, but Kerr's own injury stopped that. Barring the scramble in extra time where they hit the bar I can't think of any especially nervous moments.

Agree about Murray as well - he was dealt a fairly poor hand with Kerr and Paton both being injured (and no Sabatini on the bench) and adapted us well. Young Walker in what must only be his 7th or 8th senior appearance moving to play centre mid coped very well - credit to Murray for being brave enough to play a relatively untested player over the last few weeks - and his final two subs in Thomson and McKay really came up with the big moments. I saw it mentioned on the match thread that it was a big test for him personally, and if it was he certainly passed. We seem to have a great fighting spirit and while we're capable of playing good stuff we're getting the results even when we don't play all that well. Bring on Morton!

The team showed an incredible amount of belief and spirit last night. We've all seen the exact same squad of players (minus Turner and Paton) toil and become toothless as soon as we go behind. So to come from behind twice in the space of about 4 minutes each time, and especially given the circumstances of McAlistair's goal, is really commendable. It's a cliche but having that fighting spirit and belief in yourselves that you can win no matter what really is just as important as the amount of ability you have. Somebody said it on Facebook (I think), and it's a small thing, but Cove's reaction to our second equaliser - players falling to the ground, head in hands etc - was ultimately telling in how the game was eventually going to go. That lack of confidence does transmit on the pitch. 

It's worth saying but, I've given Thomson a (deserved IMO) hard time over his lack of end product. But off the top of my head that's him set up the winner at Dumbarton, scored the first against Falkirk and set up the winner last night. Arguably the three most important goals of our run-in. His direct running and pace is making a hell of a difference. 

Edited by airdrieman

6 hours ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:
10 hours ago, Aufc said:

Agreed. Couldn't have put it better.

The guy who does the main commentary is fine.

On 12/05/2021 at 16:40, airdrieman said:

That's gutting if so. Him, Paton and Connell have been a fundamental part of our recent run of form. I'd love to see them all back next week but it's looking unlikely. Crighton is of course a solid defender and we all know what he offers but I think Kerr has been a real colossus at the back since he returned and he's much a better out ball than Crighton.  I believe Connell went off with a concussion, and he looked to pick up some other knocks, so depending on protocol he could be out. Paton for me will be the biggest miss though. We saw how badly we missed him when he went off. Ritchie just isn't up to the same standard and Paton brings out the best in Turner, Ritchie, Carrick and whoever else is playing middle to front. I've no idea what the Morton midfield is like TBH but it could be a real struggle in there if he isn't playing. Is there a limit to the number of players on the bench for the play-off games btw? Just wondering as we've obviously had a more limited bench the last two games than we've had every league game. I know Murray obviously doesn't rate him, and he hasn't played in months, but we could have done with Sabatini in the midfield last night - even just as an extra body. TBH I'd rather he played in there than Ritchie. I'm still not entirely sure what Ritchie is meant to offer and IMO Sabatini would have done a better job of getting to grips with Fyvie. 

The team showed an incredible amount of belief and spirit last night. We've all seen the exact same squad of players (minus Turner and Paton) toil and become toothless as soon as we go behind. So to come from behind twice in the space of about 4 minutes each time, and especially given the circumstances of McAlistair's goal, is really commendable. It's a cliche but having that fighting spirit and belief in yourselves that you can win no matter what really is just as important as the amount of ability you have. Somebody said it on Facebook (I think), and it's a small thing, but Cove's reaction to our second equaliser - players falling to the ground, head in hands etc - was ultimately telling in how the game was eventually going to go. That lack of confidence does transmit on the pitch. 

It's worth saying but, I've given Thomson a (deserved IMO) hard time over his lack of end product. But off the top of my head that's him set up the winner at Dumbarton, scored the first against Falkirk and set up the winner last night. Arguably the three most important goals of our run-in. His direct running and pace is making a hell of a difference. 

I think we have to thank our keeper  for saves at  vital times, the last few games he has been outstanding, and he would be my P o t y, 

2 hours ago, Jack Reed said:

I think we have to thank our keeper  for saves at  vital times, the last few games he has been outstanding, and he would be my P o t y, 

No disagreement on how important Currie has been , but don't jinx him with POTY-they usually leave! 

34 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

No disagreement on how important Currie has been , but don't jinx him with POTY-they usually leave! 

Would be a good time for Robert to step up and show what he can do, was showing some good touches when he came on, and if Roy could end the season as he started it would be good, 

6 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

Would be a good time for Robert to step up and show what he can do, was showing some good touches when he came on, and if Roy could end the season as he started it would be good, 

Just got to stay focussed and organised. Robert might do something and he has it in him to deliver a good cross/pass . If Connell is out I'd be tempted to play the early season Ally Roy as you say. 

Looking forward to the Playoff final ,just received the emai! For ticket for the game,   Going to be strict covid protocols,   no singing, shouting, Pie stall, Loitering in the concourse and very limited numbers in the toilets,  No parking and stuck in the away stand 2m apart...   It sounds great that fans are back,  but this will just be a Scot gov test event......  I hope everybody will be aware of these regulations prior to the game...  And it doesn't overshadow the importance of the fixture for both sides....  (Good luck trying to 2m social distance in the main stand at Cappielow or even trying to sit without dislocating a kneecap)...

19 hours ago, Passionate said:

Looking forward to the Playoff final ,just received the emai! For ticket for the game,   Going to be strict covid protocols,   no singing, shouting, Pie stall, Loitering in the concourse and very limited numbers in the toilets,  No parking and stuck in the away stand 2m apart...   It sounds great that fans are back,  but this will just be a Scot gov test event......  I hope everybody will be aware of these regulations prior to the game...  And it doesn't overshadow the importance of the fixture for both sides....  (Good luck trying to 2m social distance in the main stand at Cappielow or even trying to sit without dislocating a kneecap)...

Got my ticket as well, buzzing to be able to get into a football ground again! Will be an odd experience with the restrictions that you mention but no doubt we're a privileged and lucky few getting to go at this moment in time. 

19 hours ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Just got to stay focussed and organised. Robert might do something and he has it in him to deliver a good cross/pass . If Connell is out I'd be tempted to play the early season Ally Roy as you say. 

I read that Connell will definitely be out so will be interesting to see if Murray opts to start Roy (or Jack McKay!) or go with the slightly more cautious team he went with on Tuesday. Haven't read anything further about Paton or Kerr yet.