The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

36 minutes ago, Roger Thornhill said:

Great result. Great confidence booster as they didn't look great shakes at the end with their strongest 11 on the pitch. Paton outstanding - him and Turner  so solid, Dycey and Josh  Kerr calm and collected at the back, wee Leon putting in a great shift  and two good goals -brilliant.  But the whole team did well.  And they don't score at home for the first time in in 25 games.  Big boost for us. And Falkirk get pumped as well. Happy days!!!   

Big difference between today and the last game  with Cove- we had a midfield today. What a difference Turner and Paton have made. Onwards and upwards. Going to enjoy my beer tonight!

Yes, got to agree that Turner and Paton have made the difference, and seem to have the players around them playing better, good to see Roberts getting the assist, a good team performance, 

21 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

Superb result. Should be a great confidence boost to the side, ahead of the play-offs, that we can go up there keep a clean sheet and win so convincingly. Paton, Turner, Kerr, Fordyce and McCann all strolled it once again and everyone else was solid or did a turn too. Great run and cross from Tam Rab for the first goal. Delighted for him. He's been needing that. He's still very raw and goes in and out of games but he still has a part to play in the play-offs. That's the sort of opening or bit of quality he can provide. Lovely bit of Futsal from Dean Ritchie for the second goal. Looking forward to watching that back. 

I don't want to get ahead of myself. We are Airdrie after all. But there really is no reason why we can't win this play-off. Nothing to fear whatsoever from any of Cove, Morton, Falkirk or Montrose. And you have to win a fucking play-off eventually don't you? 

Surely you would want to finish second? Gives Airdrie second leg v Cove at home? McCall already said that 5 of Thursdays starting 11 won’t be involved on Tuesday. Last Saturdays game v Airdrie our toughest by a mile since the restart and you definitely have a superb chance of promotion via playoffs.

9 hours ago, Jack Reed said:

My mistake, they have won last four without conceding a goal, that will not  stand after today, or 0-0 would do, 

You were right to highlight their record and it was even better to discover we prevented them scoring for the first time at home in the senior game. It was a great win and it sets us up for the Falkirk game and the chance to finish 2nd-who would have believed it? Thought Paton was outstanding today as were all the guys who showed a flexibility in their movements all day. Great for Gallagher to be scoring at these games.  Nice to see Robert do the simple thing of getting to the byline and crossing superbly. Cove will be a tough lot to play if we both finish 2/3 and hope that Falkirk lose to us as Montrose take Thistle out. 

1 hour ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:

Combined with Falkirk losing they now need to beat us by 5 I think to go above us on Tuesday.

I was amazed last night to see that we are the 2nd highest scorers in L1 (Thanks to Clyde?)  but we have been getting the goals recently so maybe I should pay attention a bit more. 

What would be better - play a full strength team and keep the momentum going or play the reserves and let them body Falkirk? I'd be happy either way but watching McNeil, Burke, Mbayo, Pyott, Moore et al consign Falkirk to 5th would be very funny. 

14 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

What would be better - play a full strength team and keep the momentum going or play the reserves and let them body Falkirk? I'd be happy either way but watching McNeil, Burke, Mbayo, Pyott, Moore et al consign Falkirk to 5th would be very funny. 

I’d make a few changes but nothing too drastic. I’d probably rest McCann, Turner and maybe Fordyce, as the first two are pretty much irreplaceable within our squad and it’s really important they’re fit for the play-offs while Fordyce has played every game so far I think and Crighton could come in for him without it being too much of an issue. It’s important to carry some momentum into the play-offs, so going into Tuesday with a strong team but resting a few players seems like a good compromise to me. 

1 minute ago, Mr November said:

I’d make a few changes but nothing too drastic. I’d probably rest McCann, Turner and maybe Fordyce, as the first two are pretty much irreplaceable within our squad and it’s really important they’re fit for the play-offs while Fordyce has played every game so far I think and Crighton could come in for him without it being too much of an issue. It’s important to carry some momentum into the play-offs, so going into Tuesday with a strong team but resting a few players seems like a good compromise to me. 

Reluctant to make anything but minor/fitness related changes although I can see Crighton in for Dycey as you say, if only to keep an eye on Sammon. We really don't have a LB to ease it for Leon?  but Mr Murray will have it worked out. 

Is it not 3 they would need to win by? 2 goal win would bring them level on GD, but our goals for is better so would need to win by 3.
Yeah my bad, in my excitement forgot to factor in that them scoring reduces our gd.
Better yet, we beat them and Thistle lie down for Montrose then Falkirk don't even make the play offs. Life would be truly great if that happened.

A tad bitter there, sir?
It's not bitterness to hate those fuckers. Probably comes from having to live and work amongst them for 7 years or so.

2 hours ago, Mr November said:

Aye I would generally agree with that. Wouldn't be averse to giving any of Paton, Carrick or Connell a rest either. 

Beating Falkirk in the last game is important, it would mean we'll be away to Cove for the first leg on the Saturday and they would have to travel to us on Tuesday. Long distance travelling midweek for a part time team could be a factor.

Said a few weeks back, after the Dumbarton game, that I felt that I was seeing enough to suggest that Ian Murray was indeed the right man to take us forward and I’m pleased to see the way he, the players and his staff have turned things around. Irrespective of what happens on Tuesday, they’ve made the best of what has been an incredibly tough season.

Yesterday was very similar to Montrose in midweek, in the sense that it was a tense and cagey game - thought we imposed ourselves really well in the opening 20 minutes, dominating the possession. While Cove came into it in the second part of the half, we probably had the better chances.

Credit to Murray for (again) making changes at the right time, with the introduction of Robert just after the break - lovely cross and a great striker’s goal for Gal. Must admit, I still think that Robert flatters to deceive a lot - despite his obvious potential - but he’s a good player to have available to bring on in games where you need that wee bit of quality to unlock a defence. 

From then on, the game got a bit stretched and as Cove ramped up the pressure, we looked less comfortable than I’d have liked, but we killed the game well through Dean ‘six turns’ Ritchie!

While Cove did hit the woodwork more times than we scored, we had a number of very good chances too and were well worth the win.

No failures in the team again - with particular props from me to Kerr and Paton. We’ve talked a lot about Turner and his impact (and rightly so), but Paton just adds a layer of composure and calm that we badly needed. On Kerr, my eyebrows were raised when a number of folk on here were suggesting he is better than Crighton and should start with Fordyce. Now, Sean hasn’t been to his usual standard this season, but then, I’d argue that Dycey hasn’t either. However, he’s a big presence, experienced at this level and a no nonsense defender, which I think is key. My view on Kerr from last season at CB was that he was far too lackadaisical and got caught on the ball too much - that’s why he lost his place early season and he had only really played a handful of games before the season was stopped. That said, I’ve been very impressed with him in the past two games - he’s been composed and solid. While I still wouldn’t say he should definitely be in there ahead of Crighton, it’s great having three quality CBs at this level to chose from and if we continue to use a back 3, they can all feature.

Would be great to win on Tuesday, due to the home advantage that gives you in the playoff second leg, but also as it would be our highest league finish since the 07/08 season, which I think would be a huge achievement. 

Our playoff record to date is firmly ingrained in my mind and I am in no way getting ahead of myself, but I just have a good feeling about this season - we’re playing well, getting results and should not fear anyone.

Said a few weeks back, after the Dumbarton game, that I felt that I was seeing enough to suggest that Ian Murray was indeed the right man to take us forward and I’m pleased to see the way he, the players and his staff have turned things around. Irrespective of what happens on Tuesday, they’ve made the best of what has been an incredibly tough season.
Yesterday was very similar to Montrose in midweek, in the sense that it was a tense and cagey game - thought we imposed ourselves really well in the opening 20 minutes, dominating the possession. While Cove came into it in the second part of the half, we probably had the better chances.
Credit to Murray for (again) making changes at the right time, with the introduction of Robert just after the break - lovely cross and a great striker’s goal for Gal. Must admit, I still think that Robert flatters to deceive a lot - despite his obvious potential - but he’s a good player to have available to bring on in games where you need that wee bit of quality to unlock a defence. 
From then on, the game got a bit stretched and as Cove ramped up the pressure, we looked less comfortable than I’d have liked, but we killed the game well through Dean ‘six turns’ Ritchie!
While Cove did hit the woodwork more times than we scored, we had a number of very good chances too and were well worth the win.
No failures in the team again - with particular props from me to Kerr and Paton. We’ve talked a lot about Turner and his impact (and rightly so), but Paton just adds a layer of composure and calm that we badly needed. On Kerr, my eyebrows were raised when a number of folk on here were suggesting he is better than Crighton and should start with Fordyce. Now, Sean hasn’t been to his usual standard this season, but then, I’d argue that Dycey hasn’t either. However, he’s a big presence, experienced at this level and a no nonsense defender, which I think is key. My view on Kerr from last season at CB was that he was far too lackadaisical and got caught on the ball too much - that’s why he lost his place early season and he had only really played a handful of games before the season was stopped. That said, I’ve been very impressed with him in the past two games - he’s been composed and solid. While I still wouldn’t say he should definitely be in there ahead of Crighton, it’s great having three quality CBs at this level to chose from and if we continue to use a back 3, they can all feature.
Would be great to win on Tuesday, due to the home advantage that gives you in the playoff second leg, but also as it would be our highest league finish since the 07/08 season, which I think would be a huge achievement. 
Our playoff record to date is firmly ingrained in my mind and I am in no way getting ahead of myself, but I just have a good feeling about this season - we’re playing well, getting results and should not fear anyone.

It’s been interesting seeing the improvement in the team since Stuart Millar left. I’m wondering if there’s a link. Is Murray finally getting to be his own man? All of a sudden we’ve signed two genuine midfielders with experience of the league, the two McKays dont appear to be un droppable (well Jack anyway) and we are playing some good stuff. Sabiatini is out the picture and Robert is used sparingly. I don’t know, it’s guess work on my part but a few weeks ago I’d have been not fussed if Murray left at the snd of the season but now I’m hoping he stays and gets a full proper season run at it and see where we end up.

27 minutes ago, 2lgm said:

It’s been interesting seeing the improvement in the team since Stuart Millar left. I’m wondering if there’s a link. Is Murray finally getting to be his own man? All of a sudden we’ve signed two genuine midfielders with experience of the league, the two McKays dont appear to be un droppable (well Jack anyway) and we are playing some good stuff. Sabiatini is out the picture and Robert is used sparingly. I don’t know, it’s guess work on my part but a few weeks ago I’d have been not fussed if Murray left at the snd of the season but now I’m hoping he stays and gets a full proper season run at it and see where we end up.

Agreed, like you, I’m not going to pretend I have any idea how the hierarchy was structured when Millar was there - did he sign the players Murray wanted, was he fully responsible for identifying the players, did he have a say in the team/tactics, etc. - but I think it’s telling that we’ve turned things around in the way we have since he left.

I just feel that, from everything I know about Murray and the way he works, we won’t get a better or more hardworking manager at our level. I think he has what it takes to move us forward but, as I noted earlier in this thread, the circumstances (many of which are no ones fault) he’s worked under since he arrived have been pretty ridiculous. He deserves a crack at a full, normal season with his own squad - whether that be in the Championship or League 1.

26 minutes ago, 2lgm said:

I don't believe for a second that Stuart Millar was dictating team selection. As for the "undroppable McKays", Paul more often than not deserves to start and Jack McKay didn't play this season until Millar was already away. Sabatini was out of favour before Millar left also. What I would imagine Millar was heavily involved in is recruitment, and since we've signed Turner and Paton since he left I don't really see how paying Millar a wage had any benefits at all. I think the dodgy team selections and players out of position has always been Murray's decision and he's to blame for that but I also think he's due the the credit for finding a system that works and finally working out roughly our best team. I think the team that started yesterday is very close to our best starting 11 and should be the team that plays the playoff games, even if that means keeping the club captain benched.

1 hour ago, 2lgm said:

It’s been interesting seeing the improvement in the team since Stuart Millar left. I’m wondering if there’s a link. Is Murray finally getting to be his own man?

YES

All of a sudden we’ve signed two genuine midfielders with experience of the league, the two McKays dont appear to be un droppable (well Jack anyway) and we are playing some good stuff. Sabiatini is out the picture and Robert is used sparingly. I don’t know, it’s guess work on my part but a few weeks ago I’d have been not fussed if Murray left at the snd of the season but now I’m hoping he stays and gets a full proper season run at it and see where we end up.

Absolutely delighted with that result, a big boost going into the playoffs, which for me would have been the reasonable objective at the start of the season. No reason we shouldn't have aimed for the title, but making the playoffs is a success; we have reached the target. 

Now we've made it, the objective is obviously to go up, but credit is due to the manager, the players, the staff and everyone at the club for clinching the playoffs with a game to spare. Some turnaround since the poor restart.

As I said in the match thread, I'm torn about how I'd like us to approach this one on Tuesday. I don't want our best players risked, but I do think there is some merit to finishing second even if the difference is marginal vis a vis the playoffs themselves. Keeping momentum going would also be handy, and then of course there's the added spice of the self-immolation on here and elsewhere amongst the Falkirk fans if they do finish 5th. I know they are trying desperately to pre-empt the slaggings and avoid looking like raging heidless frothers by pretending that, actually, they want to miss out on the playoffs, so as to somehow lessen the impact should it happen, but we all suspect the mask will slip if it actually comes to pass. 

Be a shame to lose the unbeaten record against them, but the priority has to be going into the playoffs in the best possible shape. Pressure off, some squad players getting a run out to try and prove their worth and an opponent in absolute disarray. Fancy us to win it and do Montrose yet another favour, but ultimately who cares; we've secured the playoffs with a game to spare. Capping our time in League 1 off with another victory over Falkirk would be a lovely wee cherry on top. 

Can see a few changes for Tuesday and a possible 90 mins for Robert... maybe even Sabatini making a surprise appearance.  But probably not.  I think Murray will want to give some game time to players he may ultimately have to call on during the playoffs, it will be interesting to see his team selection.   Falkirk will be desperate to take something and go into the playoffs with some belief. They will need to stop the rot on Tuesday or become cannon fodder for the spoon burners.  I’m hoping we pick up all 3 points and who knows, Montrose might get the win they need.  Finishing second would be a great result for this season and regardless of the playoff results, I’m hoping Murray get the fans full support for next season 

On 02/05/2021 at 15:52, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

I don't believe for a second that Stuart Millar was dictating team selection. As for the "undroppable McKays", Paul more often than not deserves to start and Jack McKay didn't play this season until Millar was already away. Sabatini was out of favour before Millar left also. What I would imagine Millar was heavily involved in is recruitment, and since we've signed Turner and Paton since he left I don't really see how paying Millar a wage had any benefits at all. I think the dodgy team selections and players out of position has always been Murray's decision and he's to blame for that but I also think he's due the the credit for finding a system that works and finally working out roughly our best team. I think the team that started yesterday is very close to our best starting 11 and should be the team that plays the playoff games, even if that means keeping the club captain benched.

I think Millar had more of an influence than some people think. 

I vividly remember an away game v Clyde last season, the one we lost when Goodwillie lobbed Hutton, when Millar actually banged the back of the dugout and told Murray to get Pyott on. Minutes later he came on. If that's what happened infront of fans, who knows what happened behind closed doors.