The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

So looking at what's left for the split for our opponents

Montrose away to Partick then home to Cove

East Fife home to Peterhead then away to Us

Let's hope we aren't relying on Partick and Cove to get us over the line for the split!

3 minutes ago, G_H said:

So looking at what's left for the split for our opponents

Montrose away to Partick then home to Cove

East Fife home to Peterhead then away to Us

Let's hope we aren't relying on Partick and Cove to get us over the line for the split!

That was just so like us as said before and I was close to swearing into the ether but a fine run and cross by leon and a great Gallagher header did it. It was like the Dumbarton game in trying to kill it but Connell showed great composure to get that third. If we start with that same line up against EF we will toil again so I hope Murray ecides that the game needs big players  all over the pitch. All to play for. 

Delighted with that win. I'm normally quite reserved watching our games on streams but proper celebrations when Gallagher scored, I always felt a winner was coming but what a relief when it finally went in. 

I thought we played pretty well tonight and deserved to win by a couple of goals. We certainly created plenty of chances but our finishing was really wasteful, I'm still baffled at Gallagher's miss at 1-1. It's good that we are creating these chances though, that's two games in a row where we've looking really exciting going forward rather than being stodgy and hoping for a set piece. While we've wasted a lot of chances in the last two games we're bound to start scoring more of them if we continue to attack teams in the way we have. I was really pleased for Gallagher to properly score, he's a very good striker at this level but hasn't really got going yet this season. It's good for Connell to score too, hopefully all our strikers are coming into form at the right time. 

I think the 3-3-2-2 system that we've moved to certainly helps with that, as we always have two strikers as well as O'Reilly and Carrick pushing forward with support from McCann and whoever replaces Jack McKay after an hour. It does leave our midfield a bit isolated, it was just Turner on his own for large parts of tonight's game, but he's clearly capable of running things himself in there. I do worry about that set-up against better teams should we make the top 5 but it's certainly making us a much better team going forward. Bringing Paton back into the team for O'Reilly or Carrick might make us a bit more solid for bigger games and allow Turner to get further forward and I reckon Murray might go with something like that. Defensively we still seem to be vulnerable to quick counter attacks. It's a concern as we're not necessarily a slow team, we just seem to be a bit all over the place defensively in those situations.

Jack McKay was useless once again. I'm not Thomson's biggest fan but he clearly made an impact when coming on against Dumbarton, Montrose and again tonight. Thomson contributed more within ten seconds of being on the park than McKay did the full game. I'd certainly be looking to start Thomson next week as he offers so much more out there. 

Well we made it difficult for ourselves but I'll take it. Still the same problems that have largely been present all season. Odd team selection, no discernible shape, poor defending for the goal, caught out too easily on the break and not clinical enough. Delighted for Kyle Connell and Gal in particular. They've both been needing a goal (albeit I do think our first goal on Saturday should be credited as Gallagher's) and that miss was horrendous. One of the worst you'll see. He made up for it though and him and Connell dug us out of a hole. Kyle Turner is a real touch of class. Far too good for this level and you can see how much better and more dangerous we are when we're playing through him. If we'd had a player half as good as he is from the start of the season we'd have probably won this miserable league already. Praying that we get him and Paton playing together in the midfield at some point. Leon McCann was back to something close to his best going forward too.He's another touch of class at this level on his day. 

As for Jack McKay, there's nothing left to say that hasn't already been said. Thomson literally did more in about 5 seconds than McKay did in his entire time on the park. Which should see him emptied for next week. But it probably won't. 

17 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

Well we made it difficult for ourselves but I'll take it. Still the same problems that have largely been present all season. Odd team selection, no discernible shape, poor defending for the goal, caught out too easily on the break and not clinical enough. Delighted for Kyle Connell and Gal in particular. They've both been needing a goal (albeit I do think our first goal on Saturday should be credited as Gallagher's) and that miss was horrendous. One of the worst you'll see. He made up for it though and him and Connell dug us out of a hole. Kyle Turner is a real touch of class. Far too good for this level and you can see how much better and more dangerous we are when we're playing through him. If we'd had a player half as good as he is from the start of the season we'd have probably won this miserable league already. Praying that we get him and Paton playing together in the midfield at some point. Leon McCann was back to something close to his best going forward too.He's another touch of class at this level on his day. 

As for Jack McKay, there's nothing left to say that hasn't already been said. Thomson literally did more in about 5 seconds than McKay did in his entire time on the park. Which should see him emptied for next week. But it probably won't. 

The other thing about Turner is the way he is trying  talk and organise the players around him something we have lacked for long time ♦️

27 minutes ago, Mr November said:

whoever replaces Jack McKay after an hour.

A tad presumptuous there, sir. The McKays have forged a strong dynasty in the North Lanarkshire area. A part of the world not known for nepotism; certainly not in public office nor in Coatbrig. 

It was a bit fraught at times to watch it, but bar a bad 15 mins at the end of the first half we dominated the football match, created oodles of chances once again and played some neat and tidy passing football at times, too.

The physical and mental strength of the squad has really come good these last four games, as the late goals and the reversing of bad results into good attests.  Not to be sniffed at. On the whole we look well balanced, well drilled, comfortable in our shape, dangerous going forward and hard working off the ball, albeit there are times we drop off or lose a bit of urgency. We've timed this nicely and go into next week on the back of 4 unbeaten, 3 of which have been wins. 

Kyle Turner is too good for this division and I'm glad Gal got his goal after that miss; the cleverness of his run across for the goal he did score is the kind of thing that justified keeping him on despite the sitter, which was truly incredible. 

Forfar were pretty game and went for it a bit second half, having caused East Fife problems and fought hard against us speaks volumes for their attitude, but they did look short on quality and danger. 

On reflection it was a good performance and as frustrating as it is to see chance after chance go a-begging, it is heartening to see just how many chances we are creating in games. A touch more ruthlessness and we'll be right in contention post split. First and foremost we have a gigantic game next Tuesday; circumstances may change Saturday but assuming East Fife beat Peterhead, it's a winner takes all shoot out at our place. 

Gies it. 

14 hours ago, airdrieman said:

It’s remarkable that in a team that changes week-to-week Jack McKay is the one constant*. Even for Murray it’s baffling. He must see that we’re noticeably better whenever he gets taken off? I don’t see any benefit to playing him or what the cost would be of leaving him out. Should not be getting a game ahead of any of Robert, Connell, Roy, Carrick, O’Reilly or even Walker. 

*I know Paul plays every week too but at least I know what value and attributes he brings to the team. Jack adds nothing going forward or at the back. 

Worth pointing out this was the exact same team as kicked off vs Montrose, which itself was only one man different from the Falkirk game (Carrick on from start rather than Ritchie), if memory serves. 

The 'chop and change' thing is a bit overblown, for me. 

2 hours ago, AndyDD said:

Worth pointing out this was the exact same team as kicked off vs Montrose, which itself was only one man different from the Falkirk game (Carrick on from start rather than Ritchie), if memory serves. 

The 'chop and change' thing is a bit overblown, for me. 

It was but somebody before one of the recent games (either Falkirk or Montrose I think) pointed out that we'd only played the same team from one game to the next once all season. Which would make last night only the second (third at most) occasion where we've played an unchanged team.  It's no wonder we're so inconsistent. So I think it is a fair, accurate and poor reflection of Murray's inability to pick a consistent team. He more or less picks the same goalkeeper and defence but middle to front is usually all over the place. Funnily enough the only time we pick up a run of results is when he plays a settled team. 

Noticed this earlier on. https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/airdries-leon-mccann-holds-ambitious-23906110 

Really hope we can keep a hold of him although it wouldn't surprise me to see him move up a level or two. We have offered him a contract at least (which might mean we pick up some compensation?) but if we don't get promoted he'll probably be offski. 

On 03/04/2021 at 09:11, CapitalDiamond said:

Interview with Paul Lovering for anyone interested.

https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/fnLR5SgBKqBjNVn57

Also on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Stitcher and Deezer. Search for OTL Podcast

Meant to say but this was another brilliant listen. Thank you. When he said that title winning team gave goosebumps, THAT gave me goosebumps. I never want an ex Airdrie player as manager just for the sake of it but I hope he can make a success of himself in management and get the job and do well with it one day. He's exactly the sort of guy you'd want at the club, even just as a coach. 

Maybe 'it's not that deep' but Robert, who hadn't played for a couple of games, looked completely out of sorts when he came on and I noticed Crighton had the arm round him giving him something of a pep talk. Maybe it was just a 'get your head in the game mate' sort of thing but it looked more than that and he was certainly talking to him for a fair amount of time. I hope he's alright. I know we can make a joke about it but it can't be easy, no matter how talented you are, moving to a foreign country for the first time, on your own, at 20 years old to come play for Airdrie in Scottish League 1 in front of nobody. Hopefully he's doing okay and he can get his mojo back for the run-in. 

13 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

It was but somebody before one of the recent games (either Falkirk or Montrose I think) pointed out that we'd only played the same team from one game to the next once all season. Which would make last night only the second (third at most) occasion where we've played an unchanged team.  It's no wonder we're so inconsistent. So I think it is a fair, accurate and poor reflection of Murray's inability to pick a consistent team. He more or less picks the same goalkeeper and defence but middle to front is usually all over the place. Funnily enough the only time we pick up a run of results is when he plays a settled team. 

Noticed this earlier on. https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/airdries-leon-mccann-holds-ambitious-23906110 

Really hope we can keep a hold of him although it wouldn't surprise me to see him move up a level or two. We have offered him a contract at least (which might mean we pick up some compensation?) but if we don't get promoted he'll probably be offski. 

Yeah, whilst what you said was not technically accurate, it is true to say that the lineup has rarely stayed the same. 

I'm not that bothered by this; by and large the changes are minor, one or two alterations in the vast majority of cases. It's usually pretty easy to predict the majority of the team and I do wonder how many of the other sides are out there with the same 11 week in week out (or multiple times a week, in the lower leagues this season) in modern football. 

McCann has been much more like himself the last few games, having been a wee bit off it this season compared to his consistent high standards last season. He has been targeted a bit more this year with high balls down out left flank, but I really like him and it would be nice to get at least another year with him, but can't hold it against the guy for wanting to play at a higher level. He's due credit for dropping two leagues to get game time and for putting the playing of games above all other considerations. 

It's taken a while for McCann to get his edge back this season, lets hope he retains it for the last few games and maybe even helps us go up.

f**k knows who will play there if he goes. Hopefully not another McKay sibling or cousin of some sort...

We hoping for a draw between Thistle and Montrose on Thursday, then? 

Anything that Peterhead can get at East Fife would be a bonus as well, albeit EF have been strong at home all season (encouragingly for Tuesday they have been howlin' away from home)