The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

Thank f**k for that. It wasn't pretty, and I still don't fancy our run-in, but we needed a result tonight to stop the rot and we got one. I've slagged Thomson off constantly for his dreadful final ball but that was a cracking cross for the goal. And fair play to Ally Roy, that's two goals in two games now. I thought he was VERY lucky to get a new contract this season but hopefully he can go on a bit of a scoring run and prove his worth. He's only completed one 90 minutes but Turner is so clearly our best midfielder and the only one with a bit of quality about him. Hopefully Paton will be back next week to partner him in the midfield as that's probably the best midfield pairing we have. 

Make no mistake about it, that was a huuuge win - had we lost (or even drawn, to an extent), we’d have been in serious trouble. And while we can’t exactly rest on our laurels, we can concentrate on looking up a bit more than looking down.

I’ve not pushed the panic button on Murray yet, despite the fact we have been a real tough watch at times this season (and in past seasons), but largely because I feel the guy has been dealt some right mince cards - inheriting Findlay’s team, no assistant initially before getting Cameron as assistant and then losing him, the pandemic interrupting last season when we were looking good for at least playoffs, lack of clarity over transfers (who’s been signing the players?) and then the continuation of the pandemic creating such a weird season this year. He may not be the man to take us forward, but I don’t feel I can say that just yet. I want us to get to the end of this season, knowing we’ll be playing in at least League 1 next year, give the guy his own assistant and let him build a team in the summer, then we’ll see.

Back to tonight and the rest of the season though - I think (and I may be proven wrong on Tuesday night on this) that the confidence was a wee bit shattered before tonight and the win should help with that. The manner of the defeats since the re-start - the early red card at Peterhead, blowing the chance of a 2-0 lead and immediately conceding to Partick, the injuries/suspensions at Cove - looked to have taken their toll. We can’t forget either that a number of these guys have day jobs and have just played 3 games in 6 days, and travelled to Cove and back - that’s got to take it out of you.

We’ve now got 4 pre-split league games to go, which seems mad so quickly after the restart, and hopefully we can take some belief from tonight into those games to make sure we finish the season strongly!

‘Mon the freakin’ Diamonds! ♦️

Murray takes almost all of the blame but the players need a good long look at themselves also.

Our goal tonight came from a great Thomson cross and a well timed header. It's up to players like Thomson , Roy and so on to perform like this more often. 

Also, Turner in midfield has shown in one game what all the fans have been crying out for in midfield for two or three seasons now, quality and creativity. I know this is all about finance but why pad a squad out with several average  players when you can use the money in that direction....maybee Murray will tell us some day.

14 minutes ago, Diamond72 said:

Murray takes almost all of the blame but the players need a good long look at themselves also.

Our goal tonight came from a great Thomson cross and a well timed header. It's up to players like Thomson , Roy and so on to perform like this more often. 

Also, Turner in midfield has shown in one game what all the fans have been crying out for in midfield for two or three seasons now, quality and creativity. I know this is all about finance but why pad a squad out with several average  players when you can use the money in that direction....maybee Murray will tell us some day.

At least Murray is still in there fighting unlike Millar who disappeared like snow off a dyke when he got found out,   

7 minutes ago, CapitalDiamond said:

Interview with Paul Lovering for anyone interested.

https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/fnLR5SgBKqBjNVn57

Also on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Stitcher and Deezer. Search for OTL Podcast

Brilliant. Almost all of the good memories I have of supporting Airdrie, Paul Lovering was playing. Legend. Looking forward to listening. 

2 hours ago, airdrieman said:

Brilliant. Almost all of the good memories I have of supporting Airdrie, Paul Lovering was playing. Legend. Looking forward to listening. 

This is the content I like 👍.

The guy was a winner, didn't know when to back down (sometimes a curse) and probably played (at left back) 18months longer than he should have IMO. Always remember him and that other mad b@stard Dean Keenan at Ayr having ding dongs, blood shed the lot, and then a shake hands and a cuddle afterwards .

A hard b*stard and as close to a "modern Airdrie legend" as you'll get. I'll listen to the Interview later, is he still at Benburb is it?

11 hours ago, CapitalDiamond said:

Interview with Paul Lovering for anyone interested.

https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/fnLR5SgBKqBjNVn57

Also on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Stitcher and Deezer. Search for OTL Podcast

Listened to the first 20 minutes and he comes across as a top honest guy. I will listen to the rest even if it's the Diamond days I am really interested in.

On 01/04/2021 at 21:55, Passionate said:

It was never going to be pretty,   always thought we were the better side,   First victory since we beat Falkirk seems like a lifetime ago......  

No, we beat Falkirk on 20th December, then beat Clyde on boxing day at Broadwood. 

On 03/04/2021 at 20:48, Chapelhall chap said:

Listened to the first 20 minutes and he comes across as a top honest guy. I will listen to the rest even if it's the Diamond days I am really interested in.

Finally finished it today. Another good OTL Podcast and Paul's views on the talents of Willie McLaren and Alan Gow were spot on, as well as his general views on attitude/passion in the game. It was great to hear about that epic East End park game. 

2 hours ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Thanks for the correction-it all seems so long ago that we were bound to get mixed up. Let's hope we can do it tonight.

Robert, Carrick and Connell on the bench, but guess who starts  McKay and McKay  who does pick the team, 

Just now, airdrieman said:

I’m glad we’re actually creating chances for a change but we need to be far more clinical. We’re still getting cut open on the counter-attack and it’s been a problem for weeks now. 

Jack McKay - I’ve no idea what he’s supposed to bring to the team at all. We’ve seen a perfect microcosm of that in this game. Sloppy at the back and not clinical enough going forward. 

Massive win tonight. I really enjoyed that, our record against Falkirk over the last couple of seasons is pretty remarkable given we're pretty inconsistent against everyone else apart from Clyde. It does make losing the first three games after the restart even more frustrating, as even winning one of them would have us sitting at least 3rd. Good to see us back in the top four though, even if the teams below us have games in hand.

I thought tonight was the best we've played since the restart too. There were times where Falkirk were on top but on the whole that was a good performance, much more convincing than last week's win at Dumbarton. I thought Ritchie and Turner did well in midfield and Gallagher and Roy were excellent up front. Really pleased for both Gallagher and Roy, I was a big fan of Gallagher last season but he hasn't really got going yet this season, he played well tonight though so hopefully the goals will come soon. I've been critical of Roy as most fans have but I thought that was his best competitive game for us, hopefully he can keep up this form as he looks a real handful at the moment. Crighton and Fordyce were much improved on their last few games together too, though that was partially helped by Falkirk running out of ideas and just launching balls at them towards the end. I'd like to see Jack McKay dropped for Saturday, though I'm not expecting it to happen. Playing Carrick, Thomson or Robert out there would surely benefit the team much more than McKay who wasted a couple of chances going forward tonight and hasn't looked convincing defensively at all.

Yep, as Mr N says above, that was another huge win for us tonight. To be honest, we’re at a stage in the season where performances don’t matter that much to me, hence why I was more than happy after the Dumbarton win last week, but it was still really pleasing to see us turn in such a strong performance tonight, as well as getting the result.

Thought most of the lads were excellent tonight - with special mentions going to Currie, Crighton, Fordyce, Turner, O’Reilly, Gallagher and Roy. I said after the Thistle game that I felt O’Reilly was really coming onto a game and was that player willing to get on the ball for us and trying to make things happen - he certainly did that again tonight. Turner is a class act as well though - it’s probably way too early to be saying this, given we have no idea what league we’ll be in, but I’d love to see us push the boat out to sign him in the summer. 

I think real credit also has to go to Ian Murray tonight, as he got his tactics spot on and made the right changes, at the right times. It was great to see us play with two strikers, who were able to get close to each other and link up properly, rather than this modern day attitude of ‘you’re a striker, but we’ll play a front three and I’ll farm you out wide left or right’ like it’s the same thing and they’ll be just as effective.

As others have said though, I’m still really not sure why Jack McKay was signed or how he continues to be picked - luckily, Murray saw sense to sub him before any damage was done. 

As usual, we’ve hit a wee run of form at the right time - here’s hoping we keep it up! ♦️

Late posting after the thread vanished so spent time on "Unforgotten". Thankfully I persisted . That was as good as we have played against a decent side for most of the season. I did wonder about keeping Jack McKay at wide right but I guess it was designed to keep Dixon as far back as possible. It did but he offers little going forward, for a guy who has played as a striker. The rest of the team were well worthy of praise  but I did have a few swearie words when Paul gave away a stupid penalty. The save by Currie probably won us the game as it knocked Falkirk back. I was hoping the Ref would see the foul on O'Reilly and glad Carrick increased his season's total ( and for once the subs made some sense). Falkirk resorted to hoof ball and Miller is a greeting faced chap! The sunshine certainly made the first half a bit of a drag in viewing terms and the camera seemed to get stuck-so the Radio voices kept me informed. This was a great win and it needs to be backed up by getting stuck into Montrose.  Falkirk don't look as good as Raith last season so there is still skin in the game for most of the chasers.

5 hours ago, FifeSons said:

Have you finally accepted Murray is The Special One?

No, he's still pish.

Great result, very much needed and hopefully shows the team what they are capable of achieving if they put their minds to it.

Team need to start turning up every game, not just when they feel like it.

McKay #2 needs to f**k off back to chesterfield.

Edited by G_H