The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

Have any of Murray's triple subs ever worked? For me they're normally the sign that the game is done. His subs weren't particularly great last season but having more subs available just seem to cause him problems, he makes a triple sub for no real benefit just because he can.

Just now, Mr November said:

Have any of Murray's triple subs ever worked? For me they're normally the sign that the game is done. His subs weren't particularly great last season but having more subs available just seem to cause him problems, he makes a triple sub for no real benefit just because he can.

There is no game plan other than punt and long throws defence all over place.

May not have expected to much tonight but this is awful ♦️

1 minute ago, Mr November said:

Look at the difference in substitutions in tonight's game. Their's has won them the game. Our's are made purely out of desperation. And with that he's taking off a striker and bringing on a right-back when we're chasing the game 😂 c**t hasn't got a clue. 

Does anyone know if any of our players, other than Thomas Robert, are signed up for next season? I don't think the club announced anything specific last summer so I'm hoping not, though we obviously only found out about Robert midway through the season. 

4 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Does anyone know if any of our players, other than Thomas Robert, are signed up for next season? I don't think the club announced anything specific last summer so I'm hoping not, though we obviously only found out about Robert midway through the season. 

There are a few who have contracts as I watch another non productive long throw ♦️

Edited by Eric the half a b

3 minutes ago, Eric the half a b said:

There are a few who have contracts as I watch another non productive long throw ♦️

0 out of possible 9 points, relegation looms for this sorry lot, never seen such a hopeless Airdrie team same every week, 

Hopeless, gutless and pathetic. I genuinely had no idea what shape or formation we were supposed to be playing tonight. And that's been the case several times this season. I know that was a makeshift defence but it's hugely concerning how much they're getting carved open with ease every single game. No midfield tonight - again. Get this charlatan masquerading as a football manager to f**k. Clyde, Dumbarton and Forfar all taking points tonight is and us taking nothing, again, is a grim prospect. 

I think the team that was meant to start tonight seemed fair enough considering the circumstances. The defence was a bit of a shambles but that's what happens when your only proper right back is a young player who's played once, two of your competent centre backs are out and the back up isn't very good. Paton and Sabatini seem like a decent enough midfield two and should provide a solid base for the front four and offer more of a link between defence and midfield. 

Why Murray decided to bring Thomson in and move Carrick deeper and O'Reilly into the middle when he could have just swapped Ritchie straight in is beyond me. You can't start a game against one of the better teams in the league with one centre back, one full back, two wingers, two central midfielders and four forwards and expect them to form a competent team. Similarly, there was absolutely no shape when we were chasing the game at the end. It looked like Calum Gallagher, who while he hasn't been up to it this season is probably still our best poacher, seemed to be playing in midfield alongside Ritchie and Robert. What's the point in playing players wildly out of position when it's clear it's not going to work? It reminded me of the home game against Raith last season where we played the last half an hour with five strikers on the park and Nat Wedderburn on his own in midfield. The kind of thing I do if I'm out of ideas on Football Manager never mind real life.

Incidentally, in terms of results there wasn't too much between us and Raith last season. Raith were clearly a better team but all three games were 1-0 defeats and we probably deserved something from the game up at Kirkcaldy. Look at the difference between the teams now though, Raith have improved their team and are now sitting second in the Championship having beaten their rivals 5-1 on national tv, whereas the only play-offs we're heading for at the moment are the relegation ones. 

Thursday's game against Dumbarton is massive now and not for the right reasons. We really need a win to end this run, otherwise it's hard to see where a win is coming from next week the way we're playing.

Just now, Rossm25 said:

Does anyone know the chances or Murray actually leaving ? 

I'd be up for starting a whip around to buy out his contract! Utterly spineless performance in the last 3 games. Surely the board know his times up ?

Before tonight word on the street end if season. 

I can accept the changes didn't help and can accept the fact there are some who are just not good enough at this level but where is the fight the spirit to get stuck in ..sadly missing. 3 games no points 8 conceded just not good enough ♦️

Crighton and Turner missing to suspension and Paton to injury didn't help Airdrie but I thought you'd offer a bit more. The reverse fixture you had a bit more belief and desire. Perhaps an off night. Far too good a squad to be looking downwards.

Agree your midfield were missing and defense looked a bit like strangers at times.

Good luck against Dumbarton on Thursday night

Would be interested in someone from the club giving us some actual thoughts on whatever the hell is going on at the moment in the background rather than the canned generic articles that some poor sod has to write up on the club site before every game.

3 minutes ago, Rossm25 said:

Does anyone know the chances or Murray actually leaving ? 

I'd be up for starting a whip around to buy out his contract! Utterly spineless performance in the last 3 games. Surely the board know his times up ?

I understand it's a pandemic but if it's only until the end of the season that's, what, 5-9 games? Shouldn't be impossible to sack him in that instance or even for Murray to resign (not as if he's walking away from a long-term guaranteed contract). They were pretty sharpish to get rid of Findlay when it was clear he didn't have what it took to turn things around. Here's hoping they do the same with Murray. 

This team are going somewhere. Into Division 2 ! What a shambles. I know that money is tight but something drastic must be done. How long have our supporters put up with false dawns in the last few years? Murray has to go for a start. I know money will be an issue but how much money will we recoup in Division 2?

30 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

Look at the difference in substitutions in tonight's game. Their's has won them the game. Our's are made purely out of desperation. And with that he's taking off a striker and bringing on a right-back when we're chasing the game 😂 c**t hasn't got a clue. 

The  3 man substitution would be funny if it wasn't so tragic. Desperate stuff, no thought behind it, no tactics behind it.  Nothing.  Just lump on 3 bodies.  Hartley, on the other hand, spots the weaknesses and where its not working for him and subs accordingly, changing the game and within minutes, they are one up.

My night cant get any worse - unless someone tells me that Jack and Paul McKay are part of triplets.....