The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

I’ll preface this by saying that I don’t necessarily agree with Murray’s overall assessment of yesterday, but I can see why he feels the way he does based on the first 30 mins and how the game turned so suddenly.

We were in control and a wonder save from Wright away from making it 2-0, had they not gone up the other end of the park and scored (while we’ll never know for sure), I think we’d have been looking at a very different game.

I’m reminded (albeit to a lesser extent) of our horror show against Raith under Findlay years ago - completely in control, playing some great football and a man up, yet contrived to lose the game 4-3 from a 3-1 lead with minutes to go. You know you’ve done well in aspects of your play and been good for long periods, but in the end, it doesn’t really matter.

That was yesterday for me - I don’t think we were as creative as I’d have liked us to be in the opening 30 minutes, but we were in front and controlling possession. One freak moment turned things for us, but that doesn’t excuse the apathetic hour that followed.

We just look devoid of ideas too often and blame for that has to rest with the manager - yes, the players need to be able to execute the instructions and I do question whether some of them are good enough, but at the very least, he has to be getting the best out of these players and I don’t think he is.

Plusses for me yesterday were Paton, who I thought strolled it and will be a real asset for the rest of the campaign and O’Reilly, who has had a lot of stick but at least tried to get on the ball and go at people.

As ever, guys like Carrick and Gallagher worked hard, but how much they can affect things is seriously hampered by the limitations of those around them.

We just don’t have enough people willing or able to get on the ball and make things happen.

I also see where he is coming from in terms of where we are this season - we’re looking at things from the perspective of the past few seasons and overall progression, but if you look at it through the lens of this season, you’re only a couple of results away from being back in the top 4. He has to be positive, believe that and try to instil it in the players, otherwise - what else has he got?

At the end of the day, I don’t see a scenario where Murray goes before the end of the season, so we’ll just need to strap in and hope for the best.

I’ve always been a fan of Crighton but f**k me yesterday was honkin. Sean and Callum have somehow gotten worse together but i’m sure that’s down to Murray, if we got a good manager in i think we would see a change in the players attitude and performances. Wee Leon has obviously been our standout player but even he doesn’t seem as confident anymore. If we somehow make the playoffs i will playoffs it will be a miracle

16 minutes ago, airdrie_3 said:

I’ve always been a fan of Crighton but f**k me yesterday was honkin. Sean and Callum have somehow gotten worse together but i’m sure that’s down to Murray, if we got a good manager in i think we would see a change in the players attitude and performances. Wee Leon has obviously been our standout player but even he doesn’t seem as confident anymore. If we somehow make the playoffs i will playoffs it will be a miracle

Sean has been poor for a while imo towards the end of last season and this one the defence is better with Kerr if fit. The goals we lost yesterday were awful where the keeper was going for the first one I don't no  McKay gave possession away for the 2nd Sean for the 3rd and there 4th the guy had time to sort his hair before scoring.

I have moaned as I think the manager is too negative last year with Roberts etc. That said it is clear he has had little or no say in the signings point provided by McKay on loan. It is evident he is not strong enough to get his players  needs an experienced coach beside him so I can't  see how it can get any better than we have been for last couple of years win some games against Falkirk Clyde and Forfar draw a few with and loose some we should win to cling on to the hope of 4th place and probably loose out yet again ♦️

Edited by Eric the half a b

I think most people on here are aware about where our squad limitations lie but it’s Murray’s job to get the best out of them and fundamentally I don’t believe he is up to that job. I’ve always been struck by the visiting/away teams that I have watched and noticed just how well organised they are compared to us. It’s been a hallmark of all his sides. Sadly at this level you’ll never get the team of your dreams so pull your finger out you a**e and get the best out what you do have. Stop having blind spots towards certain players or set-ups.

As someone else has pointed out, I don’t think we’ll see him gone before the end of the season. Let’s just hope the damage isn’t done by them as right now it’s balanced on a knife edge  as to what direction we might end up looking in. 

2 hours ago, thediamonddude said:

I’ll preface this by saying that I don’t necessarily agree with Murray’s overall assessment of yesterday, but I can see why he feels the way he does based on the first 30 mins and how the game turned so suddenly.

We were in control and a wonder save from Wright away from making it 2-0, had they not gone up the other end of the park and scored (while we’ll never know for sure), I think we’d have been looking at a very different game.

I’m reminded (albeit to a lesser extent) of our horror show against Raith under Findlay years ago - completely in control, playing some great football and a man up, yet contrived to lose the game 4-3 from a 3-1 lead with minutes to go. You know you’ve done well in aspects of your play and been good for long periods, but in the end, it doesn’t really matter.

That was yesterday for me - I don’t think we were as creative as I’d have liked us to be in the opening 30 minutes, but we were in front and controlling possession. One freak moment turned things for us, but that doesn’t excuse the apathetic hour that followed.

We just look devoid of ideas too often and blame for that has to rest with the manager - yes, the players need to be able to execute the instructions and I do question whether some of them are good enough, but at the very least, he has to be getting the best out of these players and I don’t think he is.

Plusses for me yesterday were Paton, who I thought strolled it and will be a real asset for the rest of the campaign and O’Reilly, who has had a lot of stick but at least tried to get on the ball and go at people.

As ever, guys like Carrick and Gallagher worked hard, but how much they can affect things is seriously hampered by the limitations of those around them.

We just don’t have enough people willing or able to get on the ball and make things happen.

I also see where he is coming from in terms of where we are this season - we’re looking at things from the perspective of the past few seasons and overall progression, but if you look at it through the lens of this season, you’re only a couple of results away from being back in the top 4. He has to be positive, believe that and try to instil it in the players, otherwise - what else has he got?

At the end of the day, I don’t see a scenario where Murray goes before the end of the season, so we’ll just need to strap in and hope for the best.

That's a fair assessment but the bit in bold for me is the key factor. Murray says we played well but in that 30 minutes the goal and the nearly goal were from a throw and a corner. We created nothing. I have no issues with that if that gets us results, would happily take scrappy wins with set-piece goals, but for him to claim we played well is just wrong. Partick seem weaker in the air defensively than most teams at this level and I think we exploited that early on. That was about the extent of our dominance.

Given the way we defended the rest of the game I'm not convinced at all Partick wouldn't still have got something out of it. They hit the post at 1-0, missed a sitter before half-time, scored 4 goals and had 2 or 3 other good chances. When you watch their 4th goal (and every other goal!) it highlights a complete lack of basic defensive organisation, a guy floating into the box completely unmarked and nods in a header from practically the keeper's toes. I don't believe that us scoring a 2nd goal would have fixed those issues.

My worry is that almost every other team in the league has a system or game plan, they might not be very good at it, but they at least have one. I have no idea how we are meant to be playing which is going to make the run-in a real challenge. We can't break teams down, but also aren't solid enough to sit in and play on the counter.

6 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Currie is a weird one. He rarely makes obvious handling errors (mainly because he's rooted to his line when crosses come in) but there is a general feeling of chaos in defence that wasn't there last season. The issue I was moaning about of us sitting too deep I'm sure is linked to the goalkeeper. He never comes for any crosses so I think is happy for the defence to drop into the 6 yard box and defend crosses that he should be dealing with. A confident, commanding keeper would be screaming at the defence to push out and clear the way for him claiming anything that comes in. We didn't drop that deep last season with the same defence with Hutton and Gallacher in nets, so you have to look at the goalie.

The way he rushed out for the 1st goal yesterday was also poor, and was very similar to an East Fife goal earlier in the season. He commits too far out his box making it an easy finish for the striker. Unless he'd managed to pull off a Maldini-esque tackle on Tiffoney yesterday he was either getting sent off or conceding a goal. I'm not a goalie but would seem holding your ground, narrowing the angle and making the striker actually beat you is a better option than sliding out like that.

With goalies I think there is a lot of unseen influence and I just get the feeling with Currie that the unseen side of his game - positioning, organisation etc isn't quite there yet. It's the biggest worry of all positions for me because we have no other options.

I watched the first goal back and Currie gives himself no chance. Really hair-brained decision to go out that far that early. Even the defender as well - makes no attempt at a challenge at all. Goes on a pointless foot race with Tiffoney that he was never going to win. Even just take him out and take the red card for the team. Sure we’d have went down to 10 men and would almost definitely still have got beat, but at least you’re stopping a certain goal at that point. 

Not much to add to the great discussion and having watched both DTV films today, I remain very worried about the foot of the table getting closer. I know Murray wants to be positive and needs the players to respond but we just look feckless.  I would gladly apologise if we get through the 2 upcoming games undefeated.  I assume PPV is available at Cove so will endure it .

15 minutes ago, Diamonds Are Red said:

Unfortunately the playing of Primal Scream's "Movin' On Up" at half time didn't motivate or inspire the team enough in the 2nd half.  

Perhaps should play the " only way is up"  by the plastic population. 

Watching the highlights there to stop me falling asleep with this Scotland game, the defending looks even more awful 2nd time around and lucky we only lost 4 ♦️

25 minutes ago, Eric the half a b said:

Perhaps should play the " only way is up"  by the plastic population. 

Watching the highlights there to stop me falling asleep with this Scotland game, the defending looks even more awful 2nd time around and lucky we only lost 4 ♦️

More than the manager wrong with our team, the last time I  saw any heart and some passion was Hutton, 

2 hours ago, Jack Reed said:

More than the manager wrong with our team, the last time I  saw any heart and some passion was Hutton, 

Could do with Hutton and prunty on the park,Both cared about airdrie but Stuart Millar and Ian Murrays ego forced Hutton out by playing an average goalie

Could do with Hutton and prunty on the park,Both cared about airdrie but Stuart Millar and Ian Murrays ego forced Hutton out by playing an average goalie

“Could do with Hutton on the park”

You fancy getting relegated aye?

On 28/03/2021 at 11:24, Diamonds are Forever said:

Currie is a weird one. He rarely makes obvious handling errors (mainly because he's rooted to his line when crosses come in) but there is a general feeling of chaos in defence that wasn't there last season. The issue I was moaning about of us sitting too deep I'm sure is linked to the goalkeeper. He never comes for any crosses so I think is happy for the defence to drop into the 6 yard box and defend crosses that he should be dealing with. A confident, commanding keeper would be screaming at the defence to push out and clear the way for him claiming anything that comes in. We didn't drop that deep last season with the same defence with Hutton and Gallacher in nets, so you have to look at the goalie.

The way he rushed out for the 1st goal yesterday was also poor, and was very similar to an East Fife goal earlier in the season. He commits too far out his box making it an easy finish for the striker. Unless he'd managed to pull off a Maldini-esque tackle on Tiffoney yesterday he was either getting sent off or conceding a goal. I'm not a goalie but would seem holding your ground, narrowing the angle and making the striker actually beat you is a better option than sliding out like that.

With goalies I think there is a lot of unseen influence and I just get the feeling with Currie that the unseen side of his game - positioning, organisation etc isn't quite there yet. It's the biggest worry of all positions for me because we have no other options.

I recall seeing Colin Cameron doing his nut last season a couple of times about Hutton never coming for a cross.  In defence if Kerr was fit I'd be tempted to have him and Fordyce in the centre