The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

1 hour ago, Roger Thornhill said:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/airdrie-players-immaculate-condition-prepare-23715016

So it looks like there will be no more additions to the squad. 

Well, to have any chance of winning this league we will have to go on a winning run from Saturday winning near enough all of the remains games ( I am basing this on a 18 game league scenario).  Based on past performances after breaks, we don't usually come out the starting blocks at any speed - we usually trip over our laces and fall on our arses - see Edinburgh City in the Cup after our winning our previous games against Falkirk and Clyde. So, not getting too excited about going on a winning run starting on Saturday - hope I am wrong though.

No, I think play offs (hopefully for promotion...) Is a more realistic target, with us building up some good form before the play offs start to give us  a chance of competing being the target for the team.

Anyway, I now have something to look forward to for the next couple of Saturdays - watching the Diamonds and having a couple of hours away from the wife...

I'm not saying anything new here but, while I do rate our starting XI somewhat, I am concerned about our strength of depth and how that could factor into the end of the season. We have the quantity certainly but the quality we have off the bench and in reserve is seriously lacking. With all the will in the world guys like Mbayo, Ritchie, Thomson, O'Reilly, Stokes, Roy (based on what we saw last season), Jack McKay and Burke, Walker, Moore, Hughes and Pyott aren't going to win you promotion. That's more than a starting XI of players who aren't good enough for what we want to achieve. If we play an 18 game season, then barring a real injury or suspension crisis we can probably get away with what we have. 22 games though and presumably these guys will have to feature at some point, which based on what they've produced in a diamond so far, will weaken us pretty badly. 

I know it's March and it's difficult to get players in at this point. But even a couple of guys who could make an impact off the bench would make a huge difference. For the sake of an example, the likes of Dylan Easton or Thomas Reilly would surely make a bigger impact off the bench than probably all of the players above. 

1 hour ago, airdrieman said:

I'm not saying anything new here but, while I do rate our starting XI somewhat, I am concerned about our strength of depth and how that could factor into the end of the season. We have the quantity certainly but the quality we have off the bench and in reserve is seriously lacking. With all the will in the world guys like Mbayo, Ritchie, Thomson, O'Reilly, Stokes, Roy (based on what we saw last season), Jack McKay and Burke, Walker, Moore, Hughes and Pyott aren't going to win you promotion. That's more than a starting XI of players who aren't good enough for what we want to achieve. If we play an 18 game season, then barring a real injury or suspension crisis we can probably get away with what we have. 22 games though and presumably these guys will have to feature at some point, which based on what they've produced in a diamond so far, will weaken us pretty badly. 

I know it's March and it's difficult to get players in at this point. But even a couple of guys who could make an impact off the bench would make a huge difference. For the sake of an example, the likes of Dylan Easton or Thomas Reilly would surely make a bigger impact off the bench than probably all of the players above. 

You are spot on,  especially if we go one down. We haven't got an individual or individuals that can come off of the bench and change the game for us - or at least do something a bit different to influence it. As it stands, if we go one down, games a bogey - irrespective who comes on 

Disappointing that it seems there won’t be another player through the door. As has been mentioned an impact/March winner type could make all the difference as I can’t see there being much between any of the teams come 18/22 games. Don’t think the squad is drastically bad but I certainly would’ve thought an attacking midfielder would’ve been high up on the priorities more so than an extra forward (Jack McKay). As airdrieman suggests there are a few at kelty which would’ve been good additions for us - Easton, Flynn & Austin all come to mind. Pretty sure Miller said back in January we had a couple of players lined up so in the clubs defence, maybe, the purse strings have tightened. Regardless, it will be good to watch the football on a Saturday again. 

Edited by Diamond10

17 minutes ago, Roger Thornhill said:

You are spot on,  especially if we go one down. We haven't got an individual or individuals that can come off of the bench and change the game for us - or at least do something a bit different to influence it. As it stands, if we go one down, games a bogey - irrespective who comes on 

It's absolutely a sprint from here on. Defence has generally been okay, but we've been lacking middle to front. If we can get Callum Gallagher fit and firing, or even Ally Roy in his pre-season form, it could give us a real chance.

With 1st v 3rd and 2nd v 5th this weekend we've got a real opportunity to rein in the teams above us, and being closer to the top with a game in hand will make things look much brighter. All to play for.

This is a brilliant signing. I like MacDonald but Kerr, Fordyce or McKay can all do a job at right back so I’m not too bothered about not bringing him back. We all know midfield is our problem area and Kyle Turner was excellent at this level with Stranraer. I really wanted us to sign him a couple of years ago but not surprised he ended up at a bigger club. He won Championship player of the month as recently as November, so I’m surprised Dunfermline are letting him go but I’m certainly not going to complain.

2 minutes ago, We Are Pars Fans! said:

Us letting him go is absolutely stupid. Obviously had a falling out. Won player of month and not been seen since

Very (pleasantly) surprised by the signing.

I remember the Stranraer fans when he was there raving about him. Is he a centre mid or wide player?

50 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Very (pleasantly) surprised by the signing.

I remember the Stranraer fans when he was there raving about him. Is he a centre mid or wide player?

Centre mid, best playing a bit advanced, however despite his statute he absolutely can play in a 2 due to his work rate. 

Really pleased with Turner, who I remember being excellent for Stranraer, albeit it's a shame MacDonald's away.

It'll be interesting to see how Murray reshuffles, whether it'll be a straightforward switch to RB for Paul McKay, or maybe Kerr to drop into defence next to Crighton and Fordyce moved out to right back. 

Can only see Turner adding to us middle to front, hopefully he gives us greater balance and attacking threat from the middle of the park.

1 hour ago, Mr November said:

This is a brilliant signing. I like MacDonald but Kerr, Fordyce or McKay can all do a job at right back so I’m not too bothered about not bringing him back. We all know midfield is our problem area and Kyle Turner was excellent at this level with Stranraer. I really wanted us to sign him a couple of years ago but not surprised he ended up at a bigger club. He won Championship player of the month as recently as November, so I’m surprised Dunfermline are letting him go but I’m certainly not going to complain.

Top Football Manager 18 talent.

That is a very positive signing for us credit where it’s due to Murray and the club. An attacking midfielder is absolutely what we have been needing to add. Always looked a classy player when he lined up against us for Stranraer. You only have to look as far as the reaction on Twitter of Dunfermline fans saying they can’t believe they’ve let him go so hopefully we are onto a winner. As I mentioned previously, I wish MacDonald all the best but I don’t think he’ll be a massive miss at this point and I think Turner will be more of an asset to us.

id line up - 

Currie

Mckay Fordyce Crighton McCann

Kerr          Sabatini 

Carrick          Turner               Robert

Gallagher 

Does anyone know if Kyle Connell came back on loan from Kilmarnock?

Edited by Diamond10

34 minutes ago, Diamond10 said:

That is a very positive signing for us credit where it’s due to Murray and the club. An attacking midfielder is absolutely what we have been needing to add. Always looked a classy player when he lined up against us for Stranraer. You only have to look as far as the reaction on Twitter of Dunfermline fans saying they can’t believe they’ve let him go so hopefully we are onto a winner. As I mentioned previously, I wish MacDonald all the best but I don’t think he’ll be a massive miss at this point and I think Turner will be more of an asset to us.

Hopefully he can concentrate on his game because on his day he is a cracking talent and it's a shame it ended how it did. Try and keep Falkirk down eh;)

3 hours ago, Mr November said:

Brilliant signing. Is he allowed to play on Saturday or are there any Covid restrictions regarding him joining from another club?

20 minutes ago, Roger Thornhill said:

Brilliant signing. Is he allowed to play on Saturday or are there any Covid restrictions regarding him joining from another club?

Can we not sign his old man as well, seeing as we have signed up the McKay family,  Tommy liked a 'tackle' 

2 minutes ago, Joze M said:

Our fixtures are:

(A) Peterhead      
(H) Thistle 
(A) Cove
(A) Dumbarton
(H) Falkirk
(A) Montrose
(H) Forfar 
(H) East Fife

I think we've done ok in terms of the fixtures, good to only have one Thursday game, especially against Dumbarton who have a lot of games to play with a very small squad. I'm not convinced a 22 game season will happen but I feel we'll definitely need something from those last two games to confirm play-offs or hopefully more. For most teams having two home games to finish the season would be a good thing but given our record that might actually work against us! I feel much more confident about the rest of the season after today's signing though, feels like exactly what we need.

I'm really interested to see how we line up on Saturday. I'd probably be looking to play something like this

Currie
Fordyce - Crighton - Kerr - McCann
McKay - Turner
Robert - Carrick - Connell
Gallagher

Fordyce did a solid job at right back last season and I'd much rather see Kerr moved back into defence. McKay and Turner would give us good drive in midfield, McKay can sit a bit deeper and Turner can push forward. That front four were excellent against Forfar earlier this season, with the option of moving Connell up and playing a front two if required. I suspect the lineup won't be too far away from this, though I think we'll have McKay at right back and Kerr in midfield.