The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

1 hour ago, Jack Reed said:

The truth of the matter was, when I said kerr would be better at centre back I meant Josh Kerr. I couldn't give a monkeys about Mark Kerr, 

Agree moving forward Josh Kerr has to be played at centre half,  he is a much better passer out of defence than in midfield,  The experiment did not work and happened due to poor recruitment in the closes season...

a few on here earlier in the season were boosting about the no signings over 25 mantra, is Iain Kings manifesto still being played out and   With the lowland league now seemingly mothballed till next year, that is a loan market to look at to get a better quality of player from the like of E K and Kelty..   Thoughts

1 hour ago, Passionate said:

Agree moving forward Josh Kerr has to be played at centre half,  he is a much better passer out of defence than in midfield,  The experiment did not work and happened due to poor recruitment in the closes season...

a few on here earlier in the season were boosting about the no signings over 25 mantra, is Iain Kings manifesto still being played out and   With the lowland league now seemingly mothballed till next year, that is a loan market to look at to get a better quality of player from the like of E K and Kelty..   Thoughts

It's a good shout, if we moved quick, maybe the wages  would be a problem though. Some of them like  Austin  for K H  will be on a good thing, 

13 hours ago, Passionate said:

the lowland league now seemingly mothballed till next year, that is a loan market to look at to get a better quality of player from the like of E K and Kelty..   Thoughts

Great shout, there's defo a couple down there is be tempted to try. Who was the boy kelty signed from forfar, boy in the middle of the park I think, could ping a pass as well. FFS his name escapes me! (Edit: looked it up, Dylan Easton.

11 hours ago, Jack Reed said:

It's a good shout, if we moved quick, maybe the wages  would be a problem though. Some of them like  Austin  for K H  will be on a good thing, 

It would defo show the ambition of the player, and how much they really valued football or if it plain and simple if just a job for them. Any player with a chance to move a couple levels higher for a couple months should be pushing for this themselves never mind waiting on a club coming in for them.

Yer 2 top scorers in that league, Austin (unsurprisingly) and Jamie Penker (20 yr old) ones guaranteed goals and the other an unknown quantity, if that young boy was to come in, play a blinder, and bag a few goals.... It's an extended trial for signing next season perhaps?

100% worth looking into though, what's the worst that could happen!

21 hours ago, TheBuckfastTriangle said:

I think the shouts are mainly as an assistant manager to help out Murray, but I was thinking the same thing - a 38 year old defensive midfielder who's completed 90 minutes once in the last year. Good grief.

It’s not that long ago Kerr was one of the better performing players for a top 4 Championship side. At his age he’s not a permanent solution but he’s played as recently as December (not much different to us and the rest of the teams in our league) so he must have kept himself in reasonable match fitness. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect he could do a job for us considering A) pace was never exactly part of his game anyway and B) he’d have to play probably a maximum of 12 games for us (8 more league games plus the play-offs). That shouldn’t be beyond a player who’s played professional football at a good level for most of his life. We’ve all been crying out for a midfielder with a bit of experience, who’s good on the ball and who can control and dictate a game. Who’s available who would be able to do that better than Mark Kerr? Not only that but he lives in the town and can help out Murray on the coaching front (which we also badly need). I don’t expect us to sign him but we shouldn’t be turning our noses up at a player who ticks all the boxes of what we need and is seemingly readily available. 

Edited by airdrieman

54 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

It’s not that long ago Kerr was one of the better performing players for a top 4 Championship side. At his age he’s not a permanent solution but he’s played as recently as December (not much different to us and the rest of the teams in our league) so he must have kept himself in reasonable match fitness. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect he could do a job for us considering A) pace was never exactly part of his game anyway and B) he’d have to play probably a maximum of 12 games for us (8 more league games plus the play-offs). That shouldn’t be beyond a player who’s played professional football at a good level for most of his life. We’ve all been crying out for a midfielder with a bit of experience, who’s good on the ball and who can control and dictate a game. Who’s available who would be able to do that better than Mark Kerr? Not only that but he lives in the town and can help out Murray on the coaching front (which we also badly need). I don’t expect us to sign him but we shouldn’t be turning our noses up at a player who ticks all the boxes of what we need and is seemingly readily available. 

Agree.  ,   with our existing squad we are maybe battling for a play off,  if we can sign a couple of short term deals with experienced players it may be enough, let's be honest anybody can win this league let's not forget this,   This is worth the gamble,  No regrets come the end of the season....

On 05/03/2021 at 15:06, TheBuckfastTriangle said:

I think the shouts are mainly as an assistant manager to help out Murray, but I was thinking the same thing - a 38 year old defensive midfielder who's completed 90 minutes once in the last year. Good grief.

Agree what a strange shout!

On 05/03/2021 at 18:30, Jack Reed said:

That must have touched a nerve 

Tbh I think your constant abuse of sean crighton is out of order,I've met him a few times and he really cares about airdrie same way Hutton did,he wouldn't have left the first time if it wasn't for airdrie going full time,so just cut the hard man behind the keyboard pish,PH and the rest of the club are trying to achieve us promotion and they want to do it with the fans so stop being so negative or go sit in a huff with the trust

9 hours ago, Spanish Armada said:

Tbh I think your constant abuse of sean crighton is out of order,I've met him a few times and he really cares about airdrie same way Hutton did,he wouldn't have left the first time if it wasn't for airdrie going full time,so just cut the hard man behind the keyboard pish,PH and the rest of the club are trying to achieve us promotion and they want to do it with the fans so stop being so negative or go sit in a huff with the trust

Nothing intented  on a personal level, and I know nothing about the trust, 

9 hours ago, Spanish Armada said:

I don't know about the Trust either, maybe they're the "missing link", but communication from the board could be far better - when the takeover was completed there was an excellent piece done for the website detailing the structure of the club and how we'd operate, but it's been extremely quiet from them, especially over the last year.

The first team has clearly had decent backing, and the league positions have reflected that (they'd suggested steady year on year improvement was their plan and we've spent the vast majority of the last 2 seasons in the playoff spots) but I think the quieter things are the more fans, rightly or wrongly, tend to worry. On the first team management side we've lost Cameron and Miller who were presumably there to support Murray but there's been no comment on how those gaps are being filled. Is this a downsizing of ambition, a temporary thing because of COVID or a rethink at board level? You shouldn't have to be one of the ITK crowd to have some idea of this stuff.

On 06/03/2021 at 13:47, Passionate said:

Agree.  ,   with our existing squad we are maybe battling for a play off,  if we can sign a couple of short term deals with experienced players it may be enough, let's be honest anybody can win this league let's not forget this,   This is worth the gamble,  No regrets come the end of the season....

Personally I think with this being a shorter season I'd be happy to see us just have a go in each game.   Stop being so defensive especially in our home games.   Playing with back 4 and 2 defensive midfielders is fine away from home.  Our home record has to improve. I feel we do have a decent squad as said before a creative midfielder would help but it's not like we were struggling.   Lost count of the games at home we only have 2 or 3 shots on goal though.   Basically what I'm saying is I'd change from 2 defensive midfielders and add another striker.    Especially for home games.   

6 hours ago, Roger Thornhill said:

I am assuming that training has commenced again but radio silence from the club. A bit of communication wouldn't go amiss  or folk start to speculate.  It ain't rocket science. What about an update Airdrie?

They commenced training on Sunday 

Training atm is Sun,Tues,Thurs,