The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

58 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

I agree about no DOF etc . I just want a manager that gets the best out of the squad on a consistent way. As to being "Airdrie at heart" I thought the world of Kenny Black/Sandy/Jimmy as players but as managers? I also have doubts about this season concluding, and certainly we will not be in the grounds. Stay safe

Anyone that watched these guys playing for us it was hard to take some of the remarks shouted on a sat, that game against Brechin how did we lose that, still hurts yet, 

1 hour ago, Jack Reed said:

Anyone that watched these guys playing for us it was hard to take some of the remarks shouted on a sat, that game against Brechin how did we lose that, still hurts yet, 

Assuming you mean the Brechin playoff in 2010? It was something to do with the contracts being backdated and the players not getting paid for the playoffs or something like that. I think it did get sorted after a dispute and they got paid, but apparently it completely deflated the team going into the playoffs. Heard this from either Alan Trouten or Scott McLaughlin on a podcast, can’t mind which one of them it was!

20 minutes ago, GoalForAirdrie said:

Assuming you mean the Brechin playoff in 2010? It was something to do with the contracts being backdated and the players not getting paid for the playoffs or something like that. I think it did get sorted after a dispute and they got paid, but apparently it completely deflated the team going into the playoffs. Heard this from either Alan Trouten or Scott McLaughlin on a podcast, can’t mind which one of them it was!

I think that was Scott McLaughlin on the Pele Podcast a few years ago. The players were contracted to the last game of the regular season so were all out of contact for the play-offs. The story was something along the lines of contracts had to be at least one month long and after the final game the players were asked to sign contracts which were backdated by a couple of weeks so the contracts would only run until the end of the play-offs. The players were understandably annoyed at this and wanted contracts for the full month, which they eventually got but a contract dispute before the biggest games of the season is hardly ideal. I know Ballantyne loved cost-cutting but not contracting players for the play-offs when we'd been in them the previous three seasons is wild. 

The main thing I remember about that game was Steven Canning's handball on the line :lol:. Robert Dalzell has a good pic of that here.

Edited by Mr November

8 hours ago, Mr November said:

I think that was Scott McLaughlin on the Pele Podcast a few years ago. The players were contracted to the last game of the regular season so were all out of contact for the play-offs. The story was something along the lines of contracts had to be at least one month long and after the final game the players were asked to sign contracts which were backdated by a couple of weeks so the contracts would only run until the end of the play-offs. The players were understandably annoyed at this and wanted contracts for the full month, which they eventually got but a contract dispute before the biggest games of the season is hardly ideal. I know Ballantyne loved cost-cutting but not contracting players for the play-offs when we'd been in them the previous three seasons is wild. 

The main thing I remember about that game was Steven Canning's handball on the line :lol:. Robert Dalzell has a good pic of that here.

Thanks  , aye it was a game  if we had won no one could have complained  for most of  game we were well on top, 

13 hours ago, Mr November said:

Thanks for posting the link to the photo Mr N - I'm struck by how long ago that feels from seeing the pic!

I wasn't there but wasn't that also the game in which we had a goal ruled out where the ball hit the bar and crossed the line?

17 hours ago, Chapelhall chap said:

I might be in a minority but I have no idea why Airdrie needed a DOF, especially after the disaster that was Gordon Dalziel and that guy from the media. I also have no idea why Stuart Millar has gone but it will not be a decisive event in this season. I did think he communicated a bit better and did seem to be a supporter but it's the "coach"/manager who should drive on the team.  

Totally agree, how many players do we even have on the books? I have no idea what it is exactly they are directing that the manager couldn't do. We aren't some top level side with 100 signed professionals on multi-year contracts where the head coach gets sacked every 6-12 months. We are a small club with a small group of players on yearly contracts. It probably sounds like a dinosaur attitude but at this level surely you employ the best manager and he signs the guys he wants for the year to play in his style. If they are hopeless then you release the players and/or the manager. To me a position like director of football at this level is putting the cart before the horse, it's playing at being a big club while we kick about in League One. Every penny we have should be put into attracting the best players we can get, if we get promoted and need to expand our reserve and youth setup etc then start looking at directors of football to try and grow the club, I just don't think it is necessary at this point - whatever salary he was on would be far better used getting a proper assistant for Murray and some better players.

17 hours ago, Chapelhall chap said:

I might be in a minority but I have no idea why Airdrie needed a DOF, especially after the disaster that was Gordon Dalziel and that guy from the media. I also have no idea why Stuart Millar has gone but it will not be a decisive event in this season. I did think he communicated a bit better and did seem to be a supporter but it's the "coach"/manager who should drive on the team.  

We dont need a DoF, i 100% agree with that and over the course, Dalziels tenure wasn't great.  But from what I've heard the guy put a hell of a lot of unpaid work into the club the summer Wotherspoon was leaving, to keep us ticking over, and for that I'll always be greatful.

15 hours ago, GoalForAirdrie said:

Scott McLaughlin (sp?) it was on the Pele podcast. Its actually a very good listen tbh, probably still take him in Centre Mid just now tbh.

Onto the Millar news, very very strange timing, if he doesn't pop up somewhere in the next week or 2, I'll take that as unemployment is a better option than staying at the club ATM, which is very concerning.

I'll cut Murray some slack now, if it was indeed Millar picking the team, then when we restart, it will be ALL murray, so if the negative dross continues and no improvement made, we know exactly who to blame.  I'd much rather have a good solid assistant beside him, than a DoF. 

With Millar away, does that free up a wage to get Colin Cameron back??

16 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Totally agree, how many players do we even have on the books? I have no idea what it is exactly they are directing that the manager couldn't do. We aren't some top level side with 100 signed professionals on multi-year contracts where the head coach gets sacked every 6-12 months. We are a small club with a small group of players on yearly contracts. It probably sounds like a dinosaur attitude but at this level surely you employ the best manager and he signs the guys he wants for the year to play in his style. If they are hopeless then you release the players and/or the manager. To me a position like director of football at this level is putting the cart before the horse, it's playing at being a big club while we kick about in League One. Every penny we have should be put into attracting the best players we can get, if we get promoted and need to expand our reserve and youth setup etc then start looking at directors of football to try and grow the club, I just don't think it is necessary at this point - whatever salary he was on would be far better used getting a proper assistant for Murray and some better players.

Don't really disagree  but everything is relative. Stuart Millar was a part time, lowly paid DOF.

2 hours ago, Passionate said:

Why the hate for Jack McKay his goal record stands with the current tripe who don't get the same abuse,

have a look at yourself ffs

Don't think it was hate, think it was he is a centre forward that scored 1 goal for us and don't think he has scored since, 

4 hours ago, Passionate said:

Why the hate for Jack McKay his goal record stands with the current tripe who don't get the same abuse,

have a look at yourself ffs

Are you mental? Here's his record:

Years Team Apps (Gls)
2014–2016 Doncaster Rovers 4 (0)
2015  Ilkeston (loan) 4 (0)
2016–2017 Leeds United 0 (0)
2017  Airdrieonians (loan) 15 (1)
2018–2019 Cardiff City 0 (0)
2019  Chesterfield (loan) 4 (0)
2019– Chesterfield 15 (2)
2021  Blyth Spartans (loan) 0 (0)
2021–  Airdrieonians (loan) 0 (0)

Not to mention that we will be stuck with this clown starting every game due to the same nepotism that has rendered Paul undroppable.

Thank **** they weren't triplets.

If it makes you feel any better, here is a glowing review about his abilities regarding his signing on twitter:

https://twitter.com/AllTownArentwe/status/1358886042850504706?s=20

"One of the worst players I've ever seen at Chesterfield"

Edited by G_H

1 hour ago, G_H said:

Years Team Apps (Gls)

Not to mention that we will be stuck with this clown starting every game due to the same nepotism that has rendered Paul undroppable.

If it makes you feel any better, here is a glowing review about his abilities regarding his signing on twitter:

Ok he's not pr olific in the goal scoring is his stats any worse than Ally Roy when he was signed or stokes ,O Reilly or Thomson..

If hypothetically McKay senior was looking to invest heavily in the club, but we have to take the hit with Paul and Jack being part of the playing squad,  would you accept it....  If hypothetically of course Jack McKay was signed behind the back of Stuart Millar would you reckon that could be a catalyst for his shock resignation.....😷......

10 hours ago, Ayr Diamond said:

I dont think we need to worry about using SM wage to finance Colin Cameron he was working for nowt most of the time, and as for brining players in there's a fair number of players on no play no pay deals

No play no pay, some set up that, what kind of player would accept that, heard of teams having a poor basic pay,win bonus was the incentive, we could do the opposite of queen's Park, we can turn amateur, 

Still unsure what to make of the recent developments, just hope we are not entering another period of turmoil off the park. 

I can’t see us playing again until next season so I’m unsure if that has something to play in it. 

In regards to miller, I never had any dealings with him personally but he was an airdrie man who quite obviously had the best interests of the club at heart and was the only person to liaise with the fans so no doubt he’ll be a miss. 

On the other hand, I felt especially this year with Miller obviously taking on more responsibilities with on the park stuff it could’ve maybe blurred the lines with who’s actually calling the shots if he was already signing the players then involved in coaching the team. Now Murray and prunty can hopefully bring in someone else and have more of a say in signings etc and Murray can live or die by that . 

Does anyone actually know apart from the hetheringtons and mckays who is actually involved at the club? I’ve lost track.

13 hours ago, Ayr Diamond said:

I dont think we need to worry about using SM wage to finance Colin Cameron he was working for nowt most of the time, and as for brining players in there's a fair number of players on no play no pay deals

I’m hoping if anything it’s just youth players involved in a set up like that?

18 hours ago, G_H said:

Years Team Apps (Gls)

I know a guy that supports Chesterfield when he played for them he played Right Wing-Back

On 16/02/2021 at 13:32, Diamonds are Forever said:

Scratch teams don't tend to get promoted out of this league (they certainly don't win it) and lurching from one season to the next with a brand new set of personnel doesn't help us build year on year. I've said this before on here but I think the constant turnover has worked against us and if the way to give us more stability is a DoF then I'd be in favour of it. 

I expect the Ballantynes played a more active role in the football side than our current owners so there was an owner-manager link in their time, and since then we've had a DoF or chief exec (mind him? That was a fucking grim episode) to provide that link. To me, if the manager leaves we want to bring a manager in to build on the work done, not tear it up and start again.

Had a wee look back and Jimmy Boyle, Gary Bollan, Kevin McBride and Stevie Findlay all got around 15-20 games into the season they were sacked. That means whoever comes in gets the rest of that season to steady the ship then inevitably punts the majority, signs his own bunch of diddies and gets binned after 15-20 games - and the cycle continues. 

7 hours ago, Diamond10 said:

I’m hoping if anything it’s just youth players involved in a set up like that?

I would think the players could be Mbwyo and Stokes, they are both recruited through an agency called Quorum sports,  made some general enquiries today not related to Airdrie but a now rival club. .   Apparently it is common practice when recruiting players through recruitment companies is that they pay the players a wage and the club and player have a pay per game agreement to top up there wage being subsidised.    A win-win situation for the agency who gets there p!Ayers training facilities  , and game time to possibly get them a move in the next window,  possibly that's why said players haven't being playing ...

It is certainly not a situation I think our club should be participating in, if we are trying to get better p!ayers through this setup then we really  need a new scouting and p!ayer recommendation process because it clearly isn't working,    

We made a big thing about this hybrid model mix of Full and Part time players which has limited success,   can we afford the hybrid or are we going back part time,   if you cannot afford allegedly to fund a minimum 18 man squad then we will have to cut our cloth accordingly,  to be fair we have been there before..