The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

30 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I'm in the minority of our support in that I really wasn't fussed about losing Ryan. He was brilliant for us the first time, however he was in a ridiculously attacking team that had McDonald and Stewart as full-backs, an attacking midfield of Leitch and Conroy and then Brown, Russell and Ryan up front. Not claiming they were particularly good but every one of them was more interested in going forward and creating than defending, which is why we lost so many goals, but scored loads. Even if you'd taken every goal he scored out that season we still averaged well over a goal a game. As a forward in League 1 at a club like ours you couldn't ask for a better team to play in to get goals. Compare that to now when we're lucky if we have 4 attacking players in the team. If he'd arrived during any other season in the last 15 years he'd have got nowhere near the goals he got, so I'm wary of using that season as representative of what he'd be doing now.

We saw that last season albeit for a very short time, scored twice in 8 games, once from an indirect free kick 8 yards out and once from a penalty, he didn't look anywhere near as dangerous. This season he looks to be scoring at a rate of just less than 1 in 2 which is a decent enough ratio, but nothing to suggest that he'd be banging them in in an average side at a higher level. Even looking at the rest of his career that's the only season where he has ever scored goals, and he's 26. I think in the current team he'd be a 10-15 goal striker, which is what Callum Gallagher is if starting every week. None of this is a criticism of him, I just think given the way we play under Murray we are mistaken if we think signing Ryan would have made any material difference this season. If we were a team that played free flowing football and created chances then I'd agree he would have been worth pushing the boat out for, but it's not like we have strikers missing loads of chances, we just aren't making any. Like all our other strikers he'd probably just be chasing balls into the channel and getting frustrated. There are questions to be asked over recruitment but I wouldn't be getting hung up on not signing him.

Personally I would have signed Ryan before any of our new signing's,, 

On 24/01/2021 at 10:39, Passionate said:

That is possibly the worst decision club made in the summer,  did we really try to sign him not convinced,    He was and is the type of player who would make us genuine contenders,  Is the real reason the signing po!icy.......  Robert has been the only relative success , even he has been poor at times,  Currie not convinced either,   the rest. OReilly, Stokes, Mbayo    happy to sit on the bench , says it all really..

Whatever happens we need an almost complete clear out in the summer and press reset with Murray or without..

On 24/01/2021 at 21:30, Diamond10 said:

Have to totally agree the Chucky situation still irritates me. You’ve got a obviously talented player who wants to play for our club liked by the fans and management team and we somehow let him slip through the net and end up at an average league 2 side. How many games this season have we struggled to score. Like you say I’d rather have a match winner  than a team padded out with average squad players. The season we last got to the playoffs chucky and beany carried us all the way through with a pretty poor side overall.

Don’t want to totally slate the club but A poor decision not securing Andy Ryan along with letting Colin Cameron go has and probably will still hurt us.

23 hours ago, Jack Reed said:

Better with 3 goalkeepers, crazy,that's how lower division teams will beat us, they  have better strikers, aye and a lot of other positions are better, our midfield is a shambles, let's talk about  Robert it will take the talk away from our performances, what our so called leaders  have proved is that they have not a clue about how to get out this league, they seem to be like a lot of our player lack of grit and ambition, we will get on the bench and keep it warm again, 

I'm of the opinion that I'd much rather have a smallish squad of maybe 18 players.  We've seen teams in this division go for Quality over quantity many times before and its worked fine.  If we had a quality spine to the team, like when Bollan was here tbh, we'd have a far more "settled and experienced" side.  Having too many players content to sit on the bench is no good for anyone, it just gives the manager more excuses and reasons to tinker every week, which IMO rarely works.

We've seen some really good performances one week, backed up the next week by an absolute horror show. You take that option away it forces the manager to find a strongest 11 and stick with it.  We're far too small a club to adopt any kind of "rotation policy", Consistency is key to getting out this league and its something the manager has really struggled with in his time here unfortunately.

Don't know how true this is but I was told that someone involved at Stirling Albion had also offered him a non-footballing job to go along with the football contract. I was told the name at the time but can't remember it. He was something to do with Tom Wothorspoon.

3 hours ago, Tory Boy said:

Don't know how true this is but I was told that someone involved at Stirling Albion had also offered him a non-footballing job to go along with the football contract. I was told the name at the time but can't remember it. He was something to do with Tom Wothorspoon.

Andy Ryan works in the warehouse for M&H logistics,heard about it when he signed for Stirling airdrie offered him the same wages FT as Stirling offered him PT but he was offered to work in the M&H warehouse to make him earn even more

1 hour ago, Spanish Armada said:

Andy Ryan works in the warehouse for M&H logistics,heard about it when he signed for Stirling airdrie offered him the same wages FT as Stirling offered him PT but he was offered to work in the M&H warehouse to make him earn even more

Fair play to him then. Just felt we could’ve and should’ve pushed the boat out a bit to secure him after him pretty much spelling out he wanted to play for us. Get we need a larger squad for full time training but quality over quantity is what we need to get out of this league. 

1 hour ago, Spanish Armada said:

Same wages  for full time  player as for part time, you see the result of that nearly every sat  as a result off, 

16 hours ago, Passionate said:

The only name I saw mentioned was Adam King Midfielder on loan from Dundee United,  don't know how true though..

Signing for Raith Rovers apparently. I looked him up and, according to Wikipedia anyway, he's 25 and only made 55 career appearances in total so might not be much of a loss! 

4 hours ago, Stevo1968 said:

I can see our season just being cancelled at this rate!

Aye I can't see us returning to play this season out now. I know there's more important things in the world, and that perhaps it makes sense to not have scores of people travelling the length and breadth of the country every weekend, but having the football - even on a laptop or television screen - was still an escape from the drudgery and bleakness of lockdown. It gave your week at least some semblance of a routine and something to look forward to. Shite. 

Going by the reports of the proposal put forward by L1/L2 sides...clubs wouldn't be back training until the middle of Feb anyway so the two week extended suspension takes us up to that point.

With all the clubs willing to test, there should be no reason why the suspension can't be lifted at that point.

It does look like a 27 game season can't be done ( if May is the end? ) and an 18 game season could be possible , but would it be accepted if the Championship does 27.  ( I think it has that limit?). Would the play offs be suspended? Would the winner go up /bottom goes down ? What about L2 etc. I have no idea but a null and void looks just as likely. I do miss the games.

It looks like 27 game season will be a big ask given that play now stopped .Realistic may be 18 games season  and play offs/promotion ?.Although the championship is still a full season continuing at present  .Once home and away.I8 game season would leave us  with 8 games and  playing every team  once more apart from Clyde (Already played twice home and away).

Away to Montrose and Cove and Home to Partick and Falkirk four home four away games left if 18 game seson . .Accept that in the good old Broomfield  days Partick and Falkirk would be a wins .Not so sure now given our poor home record

Any thoughts ?

Edited by Diamond Sab

13 hours ago, Diamond Sab said:

It looks like 27 game season will be a big ask given that play now stopped .Realistic may be 18 games season  and play offs/promotion ?.Although the championship is still a full season continuing at present  .Once home and away.I8 game season would leave us  with 8 games and  playing every team  once more apart from Clyde (Already played twice home and away).

Away to Montrose and Cove and Home to Partick and Falkirk four home four away games left if 18 game seson . .Accept that in the good old Broomfield  days Partick and Falkirk would be a wins .Not so sure now given our poor home record

Any thoughts ?

There is a much bigger general discussion elsewhere but for us such a situation might be an impetus to get our home form sorted out:   but that would take some turn around and I can't see it with our defence minded approach.    It would be also EF and Forfar at home, plus Dumbarton / Peterhead away. All these games are tough. That's as much as I can bring myself to think about it.

• 2 weeks later...