The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

50 minutes ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:
On 18/01/2021 at 00:14, CapitalDiamond said:
Interview with Evan Balfour for anyone not on Facebook/Twitter

https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/zATZTNzG3baav9dr6

Great chat. Good to hear him. Look forward to some more similar interviews.

Aye if only we had a player with half his  energy we would walk this league, 

2 hours ago, G_H said:

A summer deal being speculated on while we can't even stream-the press need something to "report" and it opens up our debate on how much money the Club can make.  Good luck to Robert whatever happens.

22 hours ago, Chapelhall chap said:

When I finish listening to it tomorrow , it will be easy to sum up how much I enjoyed the podcast. As a son of Leith and Bonnyrigg Rose connections, does that put him on a par  or superior to Sir  Sean ? And one of the questions I suggested was admirably asked by CD.

Finished it late afternoon and I enjoyed hearing his tales. Well worth tuning into for the long serving supporters, and maybe young ones who would like to know that we had good days in the 90s. 

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/airdrieonians-see-deals-scuppered-lower-23352572 

A shame to (possibly) miss out on some needed squad improvement but not surprising given the current circumstances. Sack signing another goalie though, need improvements in the midfield and upfront IMO. 

3 hours ago, G_H said:

I wonder what the logic was when looking at the squad to conclude "yeah, we really need to prioritise a 3rd keeper".

Aye we don't have a young side to justify 3 keepers, however such is the ambition of some of out signing's they are willing to sit on the bench or just train with sqad. 

On 22/01/2021 at 15:43, G_H said:

I wonder what the logic was when looking at the squad to conclude "yeah, we really need to prioritise a 3rd keeper".

It's pointless. Especially when there's no reserve squad and money is particularly tight due to the current situation. Currie is a good goalkeeper and having a youngster on the bench like Murdoch is fine, who by all accounts is a decent prospect anyway. Only reason you would want another goalie is if Murdoch wasn't good enough but even then it's not as if he's going to play often, if at all, and if Currie were to get injured or suspended it would be easy enough to sign an emergency loan goalie instead. 

On 18/01/2021 at 00:14, CapitalDiamond said:

Interview with Evan Balfour for anyone not on Facebook/Twitter

https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/zATZTNzG3baav9dr6

Really enjoyed listening to that. I thought he grew into the interview well and you got a sense of how much he loved playing for Airdrie and with that particular side. Balfour was before my time but he was a player I'd heard a lot about, along with the rest of his team-mates and all their success. His discussion of mental health was particularly important and poignant. Looking forward to more interviews (hopefully) in the near future. 

27 minutes ago, GoalForAirdrie said:

Think we could’ve done with keeping Andy Ryan 😂

That is possibly the worst decision club made in the summer,  did we really try to sign him not convinced,    He was and is the type of player who would make us genuine contenders,  Is the real reason the signing po!icy.......  Robert has been the only relative success , even he has been poor at times,  Currie not convinced either,   the rest. OReilly, Stokes, Mbayo    happy to sit on the bench , says it all really..

Whatever happens we need an almost complete clear out in the summer and press reset with Murray or without..

That is possibly the worst decision club made in the summer,  did we really try to sign him not convinced,   

From what I was told from someone connected to Stirling Albion, he hadn't had any concrete offer from Airdrie despite waiting for one so when the Binos made a decent part time offer he took it.

9 hours ago, Passionate said:

That is possibly the worst decision club made in the summer,  did we really try to sign him not convinced,    He was and is the type of player who would make us genuine contenders,  Is the real reason the signing po!icy.......  Robert has been the only relative success , even he has been poor at times,  Currie not convinced either,   the rest. OReilly, Stokes, Mbayo    happy to sit on the bench , says it all really..

Whatever happens we need an almost complete clear out in the summer and press reset with Murray or without..

Have to agree, 

45 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

Some man. Important message too that resonated a lot with me. And a better touch than most of the players you see on the tele today. 

I think I might have beaten Willie in a 15-1 Supporters Quiz night which won me a box for a game. It's the only thing I could have won against him, and certainly never on the football pitch!  Happy Birthday to a brilliant footballer and Airdrie legend from a Chapelhall incomer

10 hours ago, Passionate said:

Have to totally agree the Chucky situation still irritates me. You’ve got a obviously talented player who wants to play for our club liked by the fans and management team and we somehow let him slip through the net and end up at an average league 2 side. How many games this season have we struggled to score. Like you say I’d rather have a match winner  than a team padded out with average squad players. The season we last got to the playoffs chucky and beany carried us all the way through with a pretty poor side overall.

Don’t want to totally slate the club but A poor decision not securing Andy Ryan along with letting Colin Cameron go has and probably will still hurt us.

Edited by Diamond10

11 hours ago, Diamond10 said:

Have to totally agree the Chucky situation still irritates me. You’ve got a obviously talented player who wants to play for our club liked by the fans and management team and we somehow let him slip through the net and end up at an average league 2 side. How many games this season have we struggled to score. Like you say I’d rather have a match winner  than a team padded out with average squad players. The season we last got to the playoffs chucky and beany carried us all the way through with a pretty poor side overall.

Don’t want to totally slate the club but A poor decision not securing Andy Ryan along with letting Colin Cameron go has and probably will still hurt us.

Better with 3 goalkeepers, crazy,that's how lower division teams will beat us, they  have better strikers, aye and a lot of other positions are better, our midfield is a shambles, let's talk about  Robert it will take the talk away from our performances, what our so called leaders  have proved is that they have not a clue about how to get out this league, they seem to be like a lot of our player lack of grit and ambition, we will get on the bench and keep it warm again, 

20 hours ago, Diamond10 said:

I'm in the minority of our support in that I really wasn't fussed about losing Ryan. He was brilliant for us the first time, however he was in a ridiculously attacking team that had McDonald and Stewart as full-backs, an attacking midfield of Leitch and Conroy and then Brown, Russell and Ryan up front. Not claiming they were particularly good but every one of them was more interested in going forward and creating than defending, which is why we lost so many goals, but scored loads. Even if you'd taken every goal he scored out that season we still averaged well over a goal a game. As a forward in League 1 at a club like ours you couldn't ask for a better team to play in to get goals. Compare that to now when we're lucky if we have 4 attacking players in the team. If he'd arrived during any other season in the last 15 years he'd have got nowhere near the goals he got, so I'm wary of using that season as representative of what he'd be doing now.

We saw that last season albeit for a very short time, scored twice in 8 games, once from an indirect free kick 8 yards out and once from a penalty, he didn't look anywhere near as dangerous. This season he looks to be scoring at a rate of just less than 1 in 2 which is a decent enough ratio, but nothing to suggest that he'd be banging them in in an average side at a higher level. Even looking at the rest of his career that's the only season where he has ever scored goals, and he's 26. I think in the current team he'd be a 10-15 goal striker, which is what Callum Gallagher is if starting every week. None of this is a criticism of him, I just think given the way we play under Murray we are mistaken if we think signing Ryan would have made any material difference this season. If we were a team that played free flowing football and created chances then I'd agree he would have been worth pushing the boat out for, but it's not like we have strikers missing loads of chances, we just aren't making any. Like all our other strikers he'd probably just be chasing balls into the channel and getting frustrated. There are questions to be asked over recruitment but I wouldn't be getting hung up on not signing him.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever