The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

Kyle MacDonald has signed for Dunfermline but will stay with us on loan for the rest of the season. I expect any fee will be pretty low but good to get any sort of income in these times. 

I was really impressed with him last season, for a young player in his first full season he was pretty consistent and was an important part of a fairly solid defence. He’s not been quite as good this season, so I’m surprised to see him move upwards but can’t fault him moving to a bigger team. It looks good for the club if we’re able to bring in young players, give them first team football and sell them on to bigger clubs. Obviously we sold Josh Edwards to Dunfermline last season but that’s now MacDonald and probably Robert too. For what it’s worth I think MacDonald is a better player than Edwards when he left us and he now seems to be a fairly regular starter for Dunfermline, so perhaps MacDonald will go on to do well there as well.

I really rate MacDonald actually. He didn’t get the plaudits or attention McCann got last season, and while his performances weren’t quite as eye-catching going forward, I thought he was every bit as good and consistent in a solid defence that he very much played his part in. Disappointed he won’t be with us for longer as I thought he could turn into a real stalwart of our defence for years to come but have to be pleased that we’ve got something of a fee for him, we’ll get him back for the remainder of the season and that he’s got himself a move upwards. All the best to him. 

Wonder if we’ll see another few similar moves given the current climate and the doubt there has to be over our league returning? 

1 hour ago, Chubbychops said:

We've signed Kyle McDonald from you guys. What do you think of him?

Sounds like a Josh Edwards type signing.

Probably a little ahead of Edwards in his development,  Kyle is a modern attacking fullback who is far better going forward than actually defending, Hard working, no real pace or final ball, although we don't tend to flood the 18 yard box..... 

A little bit surprised he is away,there are better full backs in league 1 than him..  

1 hour ago, airdrieman said:

I really rate MacDonald actually. He didn’t get the plaudits or attention McCann got last season, and while his performances weren’t quite as eye-catching going forward, I thought he was every bit as good and consistent in a solid defence that he very much played his part in. Disappointed he won’t be with us for longer as I thought he could turn into a real stalwart of our defence for years to come but have to be pleased that we’ve got something of a fee for him, we’ll get him back for the remainder of the season and that he’s got himself a move upwards. All the best to him. 

Wonder if we’ll see another few similar moves given the current climate and the doubt there has to be over our league returning? 

Probably players at most risk of moving on will be Robert,  McCann,Kerr and possibly Currie (who Dunfermline were after in the summer)

1 hour ago, Passionate said:

Probably players at most risk of moving on will be Robert,  McCann,Kerr and possibly Currie (who Dunfermline were after in the summer)

Aye I would think so. Apart from Robert I don’t believe we have any other players signed on a long-term deal (that haven’t been publicly announced anyway) so if there’s any indication at all that we won’t be playing again l wouldn’t be surprised to see us attempt to sell on other players. No disrespect to him but you certainly wouldn’t have expected MacDonald to be sold before Robert or McCann so it wouldn’t completely surprise me to see similar deals being done. Would be just the thing to sell a couple of players and Robert stays put because of his contract after all that speculation 😂

2 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:
3 minutes ago, airdrieman said:
Sell-on clause agreed as part of the move as well. I’m not sure his ceiling is any bigger than top of the Championship mind you but you’re as well putting one in there. 

Smart. Unlike Raith with Nisbet. Lol.

Well exactly. And nobody would have expected Nisbet to be playing for a top Premiership club and be in contention for a Scotland Euros squad even a couple of years ago. Not that I’m necessarily expecting or saying MacDonald will reach those heights but you know what I mean. 

It did surprise me to see this transfer. He is a solid full back who can play both sides but he is not the quickest FB in L1-Cammy Ballantyne is ahead of him IMO -but he will be a good squad player and is a bit ahead in experience than Edwards was when he left. Good to see some money and if the leagues are in danger of stopping, it does give a wee bit of financial cover. Good luck to him whatever happens. 

23 hours ago, Passionate said:

Probably a little ahead of Edwards in his development,  Kyle is a modern attacking fullback who is far better going forward than actually defending, Hard working, no real pace or final ball, although we don't tend to flood the 18 yard box..... 

A little bit surprised he is away,there are better full backs in league 1 than him..  

I would question that he is ahead of Edwards in his development as Edwards is younger than MacDonald.

20 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

I would question that he is ahead of Edwards in his development as Edwards is younger than MacDonald.

All a matter of opinion but I think Edwards has played more at Championship level after his L1 time with us, compared to Kyle's reserve spell at Motherwell and a season + in L1 with us.? Still it gives us something to post about in this no match times!

As I mentioned a few days ago I wouldn’t lose much sleep about anyone moving on especially if it helps the club out financially at the moment. MacDonald hasn’t lived up to his exploits of last season a bit like McCann also. Think he’s pretty replaceable . Hopefully with these links with Dunfermline they can loan us a couple of their fringe players like smith and Chucky last season. All the best to Kyle though you certainly can’t fault his effort hope he does well.

Not looking forward to another football less Saturday tomorrow. 

43 minutes ago, Diamond10 said:

As I mentioned a few days ago I wouldn’t lose much sleep about anyone moving on especially if it helps the club out financially at the moment. MacDonald hasn’t lived up to his exploits of last season a bit like McCann also. Think he’s pretty replaceable . Hopefully with these links with Dunfermline they can loan us a couple of their fringe players like smith and Chucky last season. All the best to Kyle though you certainly can’t fault his effort hope he does well.

Not looking forward to another football less Saturday tomorrow. 

For all we sometimes think we dont have good quality players there are always other clubs happy to snap them up which the asks  the question are the management team getting the best out the players or has a system that allows the players to blossom. I would say no. 

We have made some strange choices of managers for a period of time thought when Murray came in he would be  good for us and I would say he has made some improvements that said he has been backed by the board and  lots of changes made to the managers spec.

Result is we are far too negative in certain games we concede one and its game over.  I would like the manager to change style to have a go then it just may save his job. ♦️

17 hours ago, CapitalDiamond said:

Interview with Evan Balfour for anyone not on Facebook/Twitter

https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/zATZTNzG3baav9dr6

Must say I enjoyed listening to Evan, specially when he said once or twice he really loved Airdrie  , Evan was what he said a hard working player with some engine, thanks for putting this on, and thanks to Evan for unforgettable memories, 

21 hours ago, CapitalDiamond said:

Interview with Evan Balfour for anyone not on Facebook/Twitter

https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/zATZTNzG3baav9dr6

When I finish listening to it tomorrow , it will be easy to sum up how much I enjoyed the podcast. As a son of Leith and Bonnyrigg Rose connections, does that put him on a par  or superior to Sir  Sean ? And one of the questions I suggested was admirably asked by CD.