The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

8 hours ago, AndyDD said:

Aye, play him in every game he is fit to play whilst he's our player. If a bid comes, it comes. 

Agree, who would you play instead, or is a player coming in, that's what it looks like,.maybe Watt  from East fife, he would do a job for us, 

Game moved to Sunday. 

A bit concerned about Murray saying he might make changes to 'freshen up the side'. While we should have enough in reserve to beat Edinburgh City, and while they may well have beaten us anyway, playing the likes of Mbayo and Stokes is one of the main reasons why they beat us last time. Just play your best starting XI and put the tie to bed as early as possible. 

17 hours ago, Jack Reed said:

Agree, who would you play instead, or is a player coming in, that's what it looks like,.maybe Watt  from East fife, he would do a job for us, 

Well exactly, he leaves a bit of a hole in the side creatively, and you'd have to try and use Thomson or O'Reily or Stokes, I guess. Not ideal. I don't actually think we'll make signings this window, as it happens. 

53 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

Game moved to Sunday. 

A bit concerned about Murray saying he might make changes to 'freshen up the side'. While we should have enough in reserve to beat Edinburgh City, and while they may well have beaten us anyway, playing the likes of Mbayo and Stokes is one of the main reasons why they beat us last time. Just play your best starting XI and put the tie to bed as early as possible. 

Probably sensible, but I'll likely miss most if not all of it now, which means no spamming of my Idle Hands match report, so silver lining for all of you. 

I think we can expect Roy to feature, possibly even start, and might see McCann back in the line up. One of McKay and Kerr might be rested and Ritchie played in midfield, for example. Scott Walker might get another game, too. 

Point being, he could make a few changes form last two starting XIs without it necessarily being a massively weakened side. 

Gallagher, Roy, McCann, Walker; that'd be four changes to the starting XI from Broadwood and three changes to the XI from Falkirk. The kind of freshening up I'd be comfortable with. 

27 minutes ago, AndyDD said:

Probably sensible, but I'll likely miss most if not all of it now, which means no spamming of my Idle Hands match report, so silver lining for all of you. 

I think we can expect Roy to feature, possibly even start, and might see McCann back in the line up. One of McKay and Kerr might be rested and Ritchie played in midfield, for example. Scott Walker might get another game, too. 

Point being, he could make a few changes form last two starting XIs without it necessarily being a massively weakened side. 

Gallagher, Roy, McCann, Walker; that'd be four changes to the starting XI from Broadwood and three changes to the XI from Falkirk. The kind of freshening up I'd be comfortable with. 

That would be fine and I am expecting Roy to get a start. You know Murray can't help himself though. 

33 minutes ago, AndyDD said:

Well exactly, he leaves a bit of a hole in the side creatively, and you'd have to try and use Thomson or O'Reily or Stokes, I guess. Not ideal. I don't actually think we'll make signings this window, as it happens. 

I don't expect a major amount of turnover but this squad can definitely be improved upon. I wouldn't say no to another central midfielder; especially one who's good on the ball and can remain composed and dictate play  when we go behind. Easier said than done though obviously. I wouldn't say no to another forward either depending on how Roy goes in his first couple of games or so. Gallagher has struggled for form and fitness this season, Carrick's our best player IMO but is more of a #10 than a #9, Pyott and Hughes are unlikely to feature, Connell is a good player but is only 19 so you don't necessarily want to have to rely on him for goals and as mentioned the jury is still very much out on Roy for the time being. Again easier said than done but I do think we need better options off the bench in midfield and going forward than Thomson, Stokes and O'Reilly. 

We've seen before that signings in January can make all the difference. Raith did it last season with Steven MacLean and in 03/04 the later signings of Paul Lovering and Owen Coyle (November) made a huge difference in us winning the league. On a lesser scale Gary Bollan's sides always got markedly better in January also. 

We shouldn't just sign anybody but if there's players of the requisite quality available hopefully Murray and Millar do what they can to bring them in. 

4 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

We've seen before that signings in January can make all the difference. Raith did it last season with Steven MacLean and in 03/04 the later signings of Paul Lovering and Owen Coyle (November) made a huge difference in us winning the league. On a lesser scale Gary Bollan's sides always got markedly better in January also. 

I can’t believe you haven’t mentioned the key January signing that season

E114FD7D-BE68-4584-B16C-D6AC7A7FF542.jpeg.1d3fca05b4c78a92909d1455107daed5.jpeg

12 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

I don't expect a major amount of turnover but this squad can definitely be improved upon. I wouldn't say no to another central midfielder; especially one who's good on the ball and can remain composed and dictate play  when we go behind. Easier said than done though obviously. I wouldn't say no to another forward either depending on how Roy goes in his first couple of games or so. Gallagher has struggled for form and fitness this season, Carrick's our best player IMO but is more of a #10 than a #9, Pyott and Hughes are unlikely to feature, Connell is a good player but is only 19 so you don't necessarily want to have to rely on him for goals and as mentioned the jury is still very much out on Roy for the time being. Again easier said than done but I do think we need better options off the bench in midfield and going forward than Thomson, Stokes and O'Reilly. 

We shouldn't just sign anybody but if there's players of the requisite quality available hopefully Murray and Millar do what they can to bring them in. 

I wouldn't be against strengthening and agree that it could definitely be strengthened. I also agree that a good signing this time of year can be huge. I just don't think we will be doing much if any business this month. 

25 minutes ago, Mr November said:

I can’t believe you haven’t mentioned the key January signing that season

E114FD7D-BE68-4584-B16C-D6AC7A7FF542.jpeg.1d3fca05b4c78a92909d1455107daed5.jpeg

Big Frankenstein's Creation 😂 I remember a few months back on the Falkirk thread they were getting nostalgic for Kevin Christie. At least, no matter how bad things have been for us these last 10 years, we haven't reached that stage (yet). I'm sure he scored a cracking header at New Douglas Park once... 

17 minutes ago, AndyDD said:

I wouldn't be against strengthening and agree that it could definitely be strengthened. I also agree that a good signing this time of year can be huge. I just don't think we will be doing much if any business this month. 

Neither do I TBF though Hutton leaving might free up a decent wage for a player or two. 

Edited by airdrieman

17 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

Neither do I TBF though Hutton leaving might free up a decent wage for a player or two. 

Aye very possibly, didn't consider that. I'd be delighted if we do get some reinforcements in and there's always a possibility of a loan or two. 

5 hours ago, airdrieman said:

Game moved to Sunday. 

You have every reason to be concerned if we play anything but our best eleven, they have good strikers every bit as good as ours, 

That switch to Sunday does not impact on me in the bunker but I suppose like Andy DD , some will miss out. Hope it will be a good series of posts late Sunday afternoon. I would imagine there would be some changes but I have no idea of who comes in/goes out/is rested . Off to watch the battle of the Queens.

4 hours ago, Jack Reed said:

You have every reason to be concerned if we play anything but our best eleven, they have good strikers every bit as good as ours, 

They got their tactics spot on last time they played us. Pressed us well, got the early goal then sat in and soaked up any pressure with relative ease. Blair Henderson gave Mbayo a torrid time without having to put much effort into doing so and Balatoni strolled it - admittedly due to us punting high balls up to him all night. Would like to see Robert, Carrick, Roy etc actually run at Balatoni and run into space behind to see how he and their defence as a whole cope then. 

18 hours ago, Chapelhall chap said:

That switch to Sunday does not impact on me in the bunker but I suppose like Andy DD , some will miss out. Hope it will be a good series of posts late Sunday afternoon. I would imagine there would be some changes but I have no idea of who comes in/goes out/is rested . Off to watch the battle of the Queens.

Watched that battle, and Rohan flapping at cross balls, 

On 08/01/2021 at 10:48, airdrieman said:

Game moved to Sunday.  bit concerned about Murray saying he might make changes to 'freshen up the side'. 

Don't know if it's my deep distrust of Murray's "tinkerman" crap overall, but I just expect him to change the team pretty much every match anyway haha

5 hours ago, Jack Reed said:

Watched that battle, and Rohan flapping at cross balls, 

I did see that in 2nd half and it brought back Stranraer memories but he seems to have settled since leaving Motherwell. A good young goalie who just needed a rest on occasions. It was also interesting that both goalies last night had been on our books.  Solid QOS in 2nd half after a very good shot by Willie Gibson but QP look set to come back to L1. Whether we neet uo again is another matter. Jersey ready for Sunday at 1pm

In fairness to Ferguson, you could have played Buffon in goals and he'd also have conceded almost 70 goals if the defence in front of him had consisted of Joe Gorman, Simon Mensing and Daniel Boateng. Aye Ferguson should have done better with some of the goals he conceded, and he gave me the fear when he flapped at crosses, but he was hung out to dry by the shit-show deployed in front of him and the fact the club never had another competent goalie on the books which would have allowed him a much-needed rest. 

2 hours ago, airdrieman said:

In fairness to Ferguson, you could have played Buffon in goals and he'd also have conceded almost 70 goals if the defence in front of him had consisted of Joe Gorman, Simon Mensing and Daniel Boateng. Aye Ferguson should have done better with some of the goals he conceded, and he gave me the fear when he flapped at crosses, but he was hung out to dry by the shit-show deployed in front of him and the fact the club never had another competent goalie on the books which would have allowed him a much-needed rest. 

I agree.