The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

6 hours ago, GableEnder21 said:

All this transfer talk about Robert amuses me. I thought he was shite against us...

He was - but the whole team were so it wasn't necessarily a fair or accurate portrayal of how good a player he's been for us. There were also Celtic scouts watching him that day apparently so I'm sure it was a deliberate ploy ;) 

He's been getting a lot of hype and media attention. That is partly (perhaps mostly) because of who his father is. And with that comes lofty expectations and the perception that he 'must' be a great player. Expectations that are almost impossible to live up to. But it's important to remember - he's only 20 years old, never played first-team professional football before this season (I'm not even sure how often he trained with the first team at Montpellier if at all) and is still acclimatising to living in a foreign country, without his family for perhaps the first time in his life, in the middle of a deadly global pandemic. That's a lot to cope with for any player let alone one who has to live up to his surname whether he likes it or not. He's had his poor or quiet games - but which young player, particular wingers/attacking players, hasn't? If he wasn't foreign or Laurent Robert's son he'd get a lot more leeway but, either way, I still think he's done very well for us so far this season. 4 goals overall (3 in the league) isn't an awful return for a player in his first season in the game. Guys who have been around for years like Goodwillie only has 5, Brian Graham has 4 and Mitch Megginson has the most with 8 so he's not exactly miles behind a ton of better or more experienced players. 

He's also shown himself to have a bit of skill, guile and creativity and that spark that can turn a game in your favour. When he's on his game you can already see he's playing below a level of what he's capable of. All of his goals and assists have had a touch of class or vision beyond what most players in this league could do. He needs to put it together every week but with game time, experience and full-time coaching and training I don't see why he can't. Remember as well he's also playing in a team that's ultimately not very good. Get him training and playing with a better squad of players and coaches and how good could he be already? 

11 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

He was - but the whole team were so it wasn't necessarily a fair or accurate portrayal of how good a player he's been for us. There were also Celtic scouts watching him that day apparently so I'm sure it was a deliberate ploy ;) 

He's been getting a lot of hype and media attention. That is partly (perhaps mostly) because of who his father is. And with that comes lofty expectations and the perception that he 'must' be a great player. Expectations that are almost impossible to live up to. But it's important to remember - he's only 20 years old, never played first-team professional football before this season (I'm not even sure how often he trained with the first team at Montpellier if at all) and is still acclimatising to living in a foreign country, without his family for perhaps the first time in his life, in the middle of a deadly global pandemic. That's a lot to cope with for any player let alone one who has to live up to his surname whether he likes it or not. He's had his poor or quiet games - but which young player, particular wingers/attacking players, hasn't? If he wasn't foreign or Laurent Robert's son he'd get a lot more leeway but, either way, I still think he's done very well for us so far this season. 4 goals overall (3 in the league) isn't an awful return for a player in his first season in the game. Guys who have been around for years like Goodwillie only has 5, Brian Graham has 4 and Mitch Megginson has the most with 8 so he's not exactly miles behind a ton of better or more experienced players. 

He's also shown himself to have a bit of skill, guile and creativity and that spark that can turn a game in your favour. When he's on his game you can already see he's playing below a level of what he's capable of. All of his goals and assists have had a touch of class or vision beyond what most players in this league could do. He needs to put it together every week but with game time, experience and full-time coaching and training I don't see why he can't. Remember as well he's also playing in a team that's ultimately not very good. Get him training and playing with a better squad of players and coaches and how good could he be already? 

Thomas Robert has been a breath of fresh air this season and I would like to compare him with another mercurial talent we had as a young lad a certain Willie MacLaren,  Willie was sensational when he first broke into the team, to be honest MacLaren was streets ahead of Robert at this time,    The main difference why Robert will 'make it" is his advisors, The Mackays...  MacLaren had no advisors or good advice at all and basically spunked a career peaking at St Johnstone under Owen Coyle......  Robert has basically The next 3 years panned out for him , he will be given every opportunity on a plate and then it will be up to him if he really makes it....

The club rightly or wrongly are on good terms with the MacKays who trust us with there cash cow, we are really in a no lose situation here, we are becoming a media whore just like Billy Reid created at Clyde and Hamilton which we were pretty jealous of at the time..  Stuart Millar and the directors are working a blinder here ( I am still critical of his squad building though) we have signed Robert on a long term deal which basically means a value has been signed into his contract and will inevitably go if not this window then in the summer....  The figure at best will be 100 k - 150k max i would imagine .  Which would be a fantastic reward forthe club and we could possibly get another promising player in due course from the Mackays which they may see as investment in the club and getting to express their talent in due course......

Whether this arrangement is enough to get us into the championship is an entirely different debate..

On 03/01/2021 at 23:22, Passionate said:

Thomas Robert has been a breath of fresh air this season and I would like to compare him with another mercurial talent we had as a young lad a certain Willie MacLaren,  Willie was sensational when he first broke into the team, to be honest MacLaren was streets ahead of Robert at this time,    The main difference why Robert will 'make it" is his advisors, The Mackays...  MacLaren had no advisors or good advice at all and basically spunked a career peaking at St Johnstone under Owen Coyle......  Robert has basically The next 3 years panned out for him , he will be given every opportunity on a plate and then it will be up to him if he really makes it....

The club rightly or wrongly are on good terms with the MacKays who trust us with there cash cow, we are really in a no lose situation here, we are becoming a media whore just like Billy Reid created at Clyde and Hamilton which we were pretty jealous of at the time..  Stuart Millar and the directors are working a blinder here ( I am still critical of his squad building though) we have signed Robert on a long term deal which basically means a value has been signed into his contract and will inevitably go if not this window then in the summer....  The figure at best will be 100 k - 150k max i would imagine .  Which would be a fantastic reward forthe club and we could possibly get another promising player in due course from the Mackays which they may see as investment in the club and getting to express their talent in due course......

Whether this arrangement is enough to get us into the championship is an entirely different debate..

Aye, maybe players from West Ham,just feel there are players nearer to home that can a d would contribute as much if not more than our great signing's, 

Confirmed that Kyle Connell will be here until the end of the season. I’m delighted with this, he’s steadily improved over the past couple of months and he’s popped up with a couple of important goals. Gallagher hasn’t really got going yet and Roy’s just returning from injury so it’s really important to make sure we have another good option up front.

I think @RandomGuy. posted in the St. Johnstone thread that based on stats Connell looked really promising for this level so far, so hopefully he can continue to improve as the season goes on.

10 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Confirmed that Kyle Connell will be here until the end of the season. I’m delighted with this, he’s steadily improved over the past couple of months and he’s popped up with a couple of important goals. Gallagher hasn’t really got going yet and Roy’s just returning from injury so it’s really important to make sure we have another good option up front.

I think @RandomGuy. posted in the St. Johnstone thread that based on stats Connell looked really promising for this level so far, so hopefully he can continue to improve as the season goes on.

Run of games and he will be our best man for upfront , glad he's with us till end of season, 

Excellent to have this confirmed, definitely looks like an ever-improving player. 

I also note that Joshua Burke and Joseph Moore have 'completed' their loan spells at the wee Rovers and are back in. No idea how much they played. Could easily be out on loan again later this month. 

1 hour ago, AndyDD said:

Excellent to have this confirmed, definitely looks like an ever-improving player. 

I also note that Joshua Burke and Joseph Moore have 'completed' their loan spells at the wee Rovers and are back in. No idea how much they played. Could easily be out on loan again later this month. 

Seems like Moore started twice and had seven sub appearances, scoring once, with Burke making seven starts. This seems like a poor Albion Rovers team so it’s not hugely promising if neither of them managed to become regulars or be kept on, though I guess Airdrie could have chosen to recall them. Either way I agree that they may well be loaned out again this month.

On 03/01/2021 at 23:22, Passionate said:

Have also thought of the similarities to Willie McLaren . As a young fan In the 03/04 promotion season He will always be one of my favourite airdrie players that season as you mention he was top class. Could glide past opponents and score with ease. Great times ! Shame he never reached his full potential as I’m sure Robert will.  

Positive news Regarding Connell. With Roy coming back he will almost be like a new signing also to compete with Gallagher and carrick. 

Not sure if we can expect any further movements but a new backup keeper and a creative attacking centre midfielder wouldn’t go a miss.

As for the returning loanees, don’t know much about Burke but Moore the few times I’ve seen him play has impressed so wouldn’t be against getting him involved.

10 hours ago, Mr November said:
I think @RandomGuy. posted in the St. Johnstone thread that based on stats Connell looked really promising for this level so far, so hopefully he can continue to improve as thIe season goes on.

Yeah its just a daft wee system I have, but once you factor in age he becomes one of the strikers to keep an eye on, slightly below Jack Hamilton at East Fife.

Some issues flag up, like a lack of aerial duels won, and a really low percentage of his shots hit the target (16.67%), but I'm only looking at numbers so don't know if theres a reason for that beyond it maybe being a weakness? Its only these issues that drop him below Hamilton, as he scores from his actual shots on target more, while also setting up more shots and better chances for his team mates than Hamilton.

Only strikers I have rated above him this season is Goodwillie, Hamilton, Megginson and Graham. Factor in age then Hamilton and Connell the clear standouts.

Not sure people like these too much but heres a percentile radar chart of Connell this season v every striker whos plaeyd over 600 mins in the past 2 seasons...

Airdrie.thumb.png.3a41fe53f84aee1a4c415cd8210a1dc1.png

Anything above 5 is "above average", while hes "elite" in terms of scoring from shots on target, creating chances, and creating quality chances, according to the numbers alone.

Not sure how that ties up with real life?

On 05/01/2021 at 10:15, Mr November said:

Excellent news! Hopefully the first one of one or two further additions to consolidate our playoff place and (hopefully) finally get us over the line. 

25 minutes ago, Mr November said:

They're really going all out to get a bid for Robert in this window

What do the club do now,   play him and risk injury etc,  or wrap him in cotton wool awaiting a bid.....

Personally I don't think it is worth the risk in playing the lad,  The Agents are doing a fantastic job in promoting their asset to all potential suitors...  

Let's wait and see ....

5 hours ago, Passionate said:

What do the club do now,   play him and risk injury etc,  or wrap him in cotton wool awaiting a bid.....

Personally I don't think it is worth the risk in playing the lad,  The Agents are doing a fantastic job in promoting their asset to all potential suitors...  

Let's wait and see ....

Thats what we'll do risk the chance of getting up by winning the league or play offs in the chance that the ugly sisters of Glasgow come in or and English team comes in.

Have a day off!

Is that even a question? Why would we not play him assuming he is fit and is going to be picked on merit? What a bizarre thought

I would think if he does leave then he would be loaned back to us. I still think a move to the old firm is daft. If he moved to someone like st mirren or dundee united then he would have a better chance. However, I imagine his agents only care about themselves so want the maximum money

I'm sure we would play him regardless of his contract situation or any fears of an injury but the fact that we have him on a long-term deal gives us more security in that regard. Should the worst come to the worst and he picks up an injury that prevents him from moving in this window, or the next, having him signed-up gives him more time to recover and develop with us and us longer to find any sort of deal for him and ideally the optimal deal for all parties.